Emergency bat

MF294-4

Boss has a couple of jump batteries about the size of two packs of cigarettes. I keep saying no way will it work but it has started work vans and mowers every time. I need some new batteries in my jump packs but I cant believe these will start a tractor or semi. What experience have you had with jump batteries?

Those tiny jump packs are being pushed WAY past what any of the components they're built from are rated for.

The expectation is that it is only momentary. Modern fuel injected engines that pop right off when you hit the key. They work best when the battery is only low, not flat dead, and only needs a little boost to fool the computer into letting the engine start.

Don't expect them to perform any extended cranking. Most of these packs these days have a timer on them so they will only be active for 30 seconds or so, then they automatically shut down. This is to keep the pack from going into thermal runaway and catching fire.

If you are expecting to crank a Cummins L10 with three flat dead Group 31's with one of these tiny packs, forget about it.

Long story short, there is no free lunch here, no magic miracle cure. The big jumper packs have their place. The Goodall JP-12-10000 is lithium based, "10000 Amps" rated, but costs about $900.

This post was edited by BarnyardEngineering on 06/07/2023 at 05:27 am.

Emergency bat.
Is that like a Jump Bat?
I suppose two aluminum bats could do it, Generally although it got done with two bumper jacks.
However I suppose that using aluminum bats might make a better energy transfer rather than the steel bumper jacks.
OH!
Your talking about those cute little plastic things.
Gotcha.
Me? I am old enough to remember chrome bumpers for the ground and bumper jacks to conduct power.
Probably before your time.

Mine has started 5.9 Cummins, 504 Case, 8400 JD & more. Yes they work. Used on various states of battery condition.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back