Early 3020D 12V batteries going dead

SHALER

I have an early 3020 diesel that has been converted to 12V several years ago. For the past few months I have been experiencing issues with the tractor starting, and that means very weak power turning over the starter when tractor is cold. At first I thought it was old batteries (and theoretically that was correct as they were four year old tractor supply units, nothing special so I assumed they were at the end of their useful life. So 2 new batteries were installed). The problem did not really go away. I also had an older starter that I felt was a possible issue so that has been replaced as well. I use the tractor about once or twice a week. When going to start the tractor, I get the dreaded click-clicking noise almost every time. I jump start the tractor, do chores around the barn, will shut tractor down for an hour or hours at a time, and it will fire right back up when I need to start it again. I have concluded, hopefully correctly, the batteries are discharging somehow while the tractor sits for a few days. Anyone agree with me and have an idea where to look?

I have an early 3020 diesel that has been converted to 12V several years ago. For the past few months I have been experiencing issues with the tractor starting, and that means very weak power turning over the starter when tractor is cold. At first I thought it was old batteries (and theoretically that was correct as they were four year old tractor supply units, nothing special so I assumed they were at the end of their useful life. So 2 new batteries were installed). The problem did not really go away. I also had an older starter that I felt was a possible issue so that has been replaced as well. I use the tractor about once or twice a week. When going to start the tractor, I get the dreaded click-clicking noise almost every time. I jump start the tractor, do chores around the barn, will shut tractor down for an hour or hours at a time, and it will fire right back up when I need to start it again. I have concluded, hopefully correctly, the batteries are discharging somehow while the tractor sits for a few days. Anyone agree with me and have an idea where to look?
I would ASSUME that your 12 Volt conversion uses an alternator, the first thing I'd do is determine if it is charging properly, if NOT that needs to be corrected as to if it is an issue with the alternator itself, or something with the wiring.

If that checks out, remove all wire(s) from the alternator after shutdown (tape them up and secure them) and see if that stops the battery drain, as I would suspect the alternator FIRST a a source of battery drain.

Alternately, you can check for battery drain by connecting an unpowered test light with a low current draw lamp in series with the battery lead to the starter solenoid, if the light glows, then disconnect the alternator on if that doesn't end the draw disconnect other loads and note what stops the draw.

You need to run the positive cables from each battery directly to the starter for best power and less connections.

I have an old 20-20 ammeter with 3 foot leads & alligator
clips on the ends.
To check out this type of problem, I remove the heavy
battery cable at the starter solenoid & clip one alligator
end to the removed cable & the other alligator end to
the starter solenoid lug. When hooking the clips, scratch
one clip on a connection to see if there might be more
current draw than the ammeter is rated for.
Read the current draw & think about where that value
of current is getting away.
As noted above, you can start unhooking wires to isolate
the problem.
Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back