Engine loses power then dies ... antifreeze boiling over

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Yanmar 330 tractor. Before using tractor w/ brush hog this week, I blew out the radiator grill and air filter...checked and added 15-40 W oil and checked antifreeze. Coolant was at full mark on overflow bottle. I also put in a new fuel filter. Now, the problem: About 40 minutes into mowing (grass not too thick), engine started losing power and suddenly lost all power before I could shut down engine. No indicator light came on...antifreeze was boiling out of overflow bottle. I let it cool off for 2-3 hours....radiator showed full with overflow bottle at a low level. I tried to start again...it turned over, but would not start...acted as if battery was low. The next day, I tried jump starting it w/ cables off truck and after a few tries, it started. I drove it from pasture to the shop (10 minutes) and it died again. I could smell burning oil with more blow-by underneath than usual. NOTE: This tractor uses a lot of oil and emits white smoke. Engine does not knock and has good power compression, but I do average using almost a quart of oil each time I use tractor with a load. Not sure what to do next to repair...any suggestions?

Ideas appreciated, Scott

Your tractor either got hot or blew a head gasket or both. When you turn your key to the on position your temperature light should come on. Does it? If not, remove the wire from the sensor on the engine and touch it to ground with the key on. It should light up. Does it?

Try cranking your tractor while cold with the radiator cap off and watch for a steady strean of bubbles in the radiator. This would indicate a blown head gasket. Since you have the possibility of a blown head gasket be sure to crank it with the compression release pulled for a few revolutions in case water is on the pistons. Water will not compress.

Those would be my starting point and go from there.

Based on oil usage and blow by it would seem your tractor is due and over haul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back