Rustidiot

Member
May be bad news for tractor restorers. The EPA is planning to shut down antique car, truck and motorcycle restoration by 2011 to everyone that doesn't have a $100,000 certification and an EPA approved paint booth. Their goal is to reduce VOC's (volatile organic compounds) from being released into the atmosphere. The way they will implement this is to fix it so that one cannot buy the proper paints unless they comply to the afore mentioned requirements. If you are tight with someone in the EPA, start working on them now.
 

Spent 21 years standing for law and order and didn't think I would ever see the day it was time for good men to take to the bunkers. However, at the rate the government is suppressing us and taking our rights away I may have been wrong. I'm just sorry my kids will never know the land of freedom and opportunity that I had.
 
Will belive that when I see it. There is too much of a market for the paint for some one not to find a loop hole, if the regs are passed.

If they are passed, many of the "restored" tractors at auction have brush over rust jobs, krylon will still look better.

Dave
 
"I'm just sorry my kids will never know the land of freedom and opportunity that I had." What are you doing to prevent that from happening?
 
A good Rustoleum paint job is not bad at all on a working tractor. And not too bad on sheet metal if you use the spray cans and clear enamel topcoat.
 
I have been hearing for years that the EPA is going to do all sorts of awful stuff and it never happens. We all survived pesticide applicator regulations. Every time there is a crackdown in reactive organic compounds in automotve finshes the manufactures come up with lower VOC alternatives that are superior to the old stuff. Everyone aroud here is using HVLP guns and and now that we are used to it no one would go back. It is much cheaper to paint a car with 95+% transfer efficient guns. Besides, you can always run off to some state that is in compliance with the ambiant air quality standards buy whatever you want and smuggle it home,it is all in the SIP. I voted for Ron Paul and hope you didn't miss the chance to do so. Of course President Paul would mean the end of Social Security, Medicare, crop subsidizes, public schools and such but that would be a small price to pay for being able to paint your tractor with whatever you want.
 
Thats what I am say'n. There are too many "good" paints out there. Just because it ain't factory grade don't mean it don't look good too me. No sin in use'n cheap paint on a tractor, it just hurts some egos.

Dave
 
yes it was in hemmings motor news, 2012 all buss that buy paint must have a scruber installed, or you canot buy paint, there was a small change in the law home oners may paint up to 2 cars a year. this bill was on the tail end of the polesti epa mandate for cars that will have to have a average 35 mpg by 2020.
 
I really hate to be the bearer of bad news folks, but kids today are not the kids we were, the world is not the world we knew. My 2 kids are prime examples. My daughter asked me a few days ago 'what's so wrong with external_link or nnalert?'
I realized that the one's that will be changing my grampers instead of allowing me to die in peace will never know the peace of plowing and planting, the satifaction of harvesting, the thrill of burying the needle on a 120 mile per hour speedometer or the freedom of having people just leave you alone for an hour or two or three.
They are tied to their cell phones, computer games and latest fads. By the time they realize what was had and lost, it's no great loss as it was never had for them. Us old gezzers feel the loss because we had and enjoyed. We were taught to amuse ourselves and respect was earned by good deeds, hard work and occasionally a hard brawl. Most kids these days do a good deed not to the glory of God but to their own self rightiousness. Hard work well that's in the eye of the beholder. And defend your turf without and injunction and a legal team and your asking for jail time.
In summary, anyone over 30 with good memories, write them down, otherwise they are doomed.
 
And the sky is falling !!! One step removed from black helocopters. I remember before the EPA, the Rouge River in Michigan was actually orange. Not kinda orange, but a real bright orange. Some times it was other colors, depending on what factory was dumping crap into the river that day. And I NEVER saw a fish in the rouge. Now they are getting fish there. There is a superfund site just up the road from my plant. The factory has been gone for 15 years and large areas of the ground have no weeds or grass yet. Like nada. Freakin Moonscape. Don't know what is in the soil, but to take samples, techs get in bunny suits. Some knuckle draggers may not appreciate it, but the government has done some good things. You guys listen to Rush long enough, you get stupid.
 
What kind of world are we leaving them? Decayed infrastructure, roads and bridges falling down, schools broke, states spending more on prisons than education, the highest incarceration rate in the world. Falling family incomes, fewer employment opportunities, high college tuition costs. Included in the inflation? A war costing 12 billion, that's 12,000,000,000 per week. And lets not forget record deficits for your grandkids to pay off. Mission Accomplished?
 
Where did I say the sky is falling? Where did I quote Rush? Where did I get political? All I said was if the epa out laws people from use'n some paints in thier own shop, we will make do and use other paints. I don't get where you are come'n from with your reply. I am all for cleaning up industrial sights and make'n factories not make a mess of things, while I do not think that any one on this site has released eongh toxic fumes out of thier shop to hurt much.

Sorry I just don't understand your reply.

Dave
 
Sorry, probably an overreaction on my part. I just see a lot of alarmist stuff on the net, from the tinfoil hat folks. As far as "sky is falling", that was a rather poor attempt at sarcasm. I work with one guy who was convinced that civilisation was going to end at Y2K. He stockpiled canned food, bought MRE's, bought guns and ammo, and stored about 500 gallons of gas in his garage. In a subdivision. One spark, and the whole block would have been gone. My favorite was his tattoo "Y2KREDE". He is a big Rush fan. Sorry for the politics.
 
Just where did you come up with that wonderful wild story. You mean to say that i cant buy paint. The paint companies will fight that to the limit. How would you even police that as you would have to ban all paint sales and couldnt even paint your fence,house or any other thing. Just think of the economics of such a silly move. That means all the spray paints would be banned. How do silly things like this get started this internet thing is sometimes a gossip train.
 
That 500 gals gas has tripled in value in 8 years not a bad investment beats anything else he could have put his money in also the canned food has gone way up and he may need the guns and ammo yet to protect it from folks that didn't plan ahead like he did.
 
Now the EPA is a political not a scientific organization. Decisions are made for exploitation, not environmental welfare. You'll still be able to restore projects but it'll cost $15,000 instead of $1500. It's corporate policy not abundant.
 
look in the february (hemmings classic car)page 6.the regulations were sent to hemmings by a susan lancey of the air permit,toxics and indoor programs unit.or go to www.epa.gov
 
Thanks Jakee
Hemmings was where I got my information. I should have mentioned that source. It may be false information at that.
 
Robmd
Check Hemming Motor News #38 (Hemming Car Club). That is where I saw the article. Thanks for the humble reply to my message.
 
The EPA isnt interested in small stuff like restorers. We have a covenant against operating a business in our area and there is a guy that paints about 20 cars a year. His neighbor reported him to EPA as a air quality violation and they said he is too small to bother with. Jack
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top