Ethanol Gas in Small Engines

Brian G. NY

I don't have any problems with the 10% ethanol fuel except one.
Seems like it tends to dissolve the little plastic fuel line in my 2 stroke engines after a couple of years.
The good news; a friend of mine who lives down in Westchester county where there are more affluent residents than in my upstate location is able to pick up all kinds of chain saws, 2-cycle snowblowers, leaf blowers and weed wackers at the curb on "metal" days. Why fix it when you can go right out and buy another?
He has given me several of his finds and I have found the biggest problem to be the dissolved gas line. A new gas line and they generally "take right off". The other problem (which I can't attribute to ethanol) is with the limiters on the carb adjusters. When I get rid of them, I can usually get the HS and LS jets adjusted so these little engines "purr like kittens".
Any of you guys having the same experience?

About the same here, in our dry high desert climate (15-20 inches rain per year), we have no problem with alcohol blend fuel picking up water from condensation.
Any normal care of tank cleaning and storing the fuel pretty much eliminates any problems.

I lay blame on the small engine makers for still using materials in their fuel systems that do not stand up in ethanol.
Ethanol in fuel has been around for over 30 years, the auto industry found fixes for plastic fuel system parts that degrade in ethanol within the first two years.
The small engine makers are still making excuses 30 years later.
When I look at a new small engine, the op manual,it better say 10% ethanol is ok or I pass on the engine, there is no excuse for that crap.
Ethanol in fuel has been a fact of life for 30+ years and will be for the forseable future.

My issue was the plastic fuel cap (chain saw) no longer fitting - heard that issue was related to the ethanol content in the gas.
Swelled so much I needed pliers to remove it.

Had 2 engine repair place tell me not to run ethanol in older small engines as it would do harm to them, told me to run 89 in them and no problems, The 10% in gas is to dry for older stuff.

Don c

Gasoline containing ethanol--Can I explain the many faults. Each state has different blending of gasoline. I work in Maryland. They have about the worst gasoline in any of the states!!! 90% of all our work is fuel related. The gasoline deteriorates after just 30 days. Have had some hard starting, poor running, and even engine damage from the gasoline. Problems such as plugged carburetors, (great for parts sales), fuel line deterioration, water in the fuel,(ethanol is hydroscopic (draws water out of the air)). The boats are having issues with it destroying fuel tanks. PLEASE give me the old gasoline back!!!!

Steve

My experience is old small engines with all metal fuel systems and fully adjustable carburetors will run fine on E85. If the engine is not run for extended periods of time, it needs to be drained due to the alcohol attracting water. Everything else gets fuel with Stabil in it. No problems when the fuel doesn"t go bad.

Higher octane gasoline is more likely to have ethanol. Ethanol might be 110 octane. So buying 89, 91 or 93 octane instead of 87 is certainly not the way to get away from ethanol.

Hey Bob,
You mean the mfgs. don't put REAL fuel line on their equip. when new? Are they really that stupid??

Hey Dale,
I forgot to mention that! I have a he!! of a time removing and installing the cap on my little Homelite chain saw. I came to the conclusion that is due to the alky as well.

I found a Kubota generator sitting out the curb for pickup by the town. All it had was a stuck valve and I pulled the head and freed the valve. It ran like a new one. I sold it for $180.00. Hal

I ran into the gas line problem today on a small honda engine used on a power screeder for concrete. We couldn't get it started and it was almost time for the concrete truck to arrive. The small hose from the tank to the carb was very bad and sucking air. It didn't didn't have much extra length and cutting off the bad part made it too short plus we didn't have any hose like that. What we finally did was to cut off a piece of thermostat wire that had about five wires in a plastic sheath. We pulled the wires out and one end of the sheath fit on the carb end. We stuck the jaws from a needle nose pliers in the other end of the sheath and worked and stretched it out so it would slide over the bad gas hose. Then after wrapping a small strand of copper thermostat wire around the sheath and twisting it tight we were back in business just as the truck just arrived. Talk about redneck engineering in a hurry. :eek:)

Agree fully... Maryland sent me a notice not to use 10% ethanol gasoline in my farm equipment... but just how exactly do they expect me to get it?

I have a 2 cycle trimmer that the plastic fuel line leaks, and a chainsaw that the gascap leaks and need vise grips to take the cap off

After reading below - I suspect the gas as well

early morning, not much coffee in my system so here is the conspiracy theory going around some places: Ethanol use in gasoline is a conspiracy by goverment, auto industry, distillers to ruin old cars , trucks, etc used by a lot of conservative, thrifty (<-- think nnalert) citizens that will then be forced to buy new, extra taxed vehicles, equipment made by union members who vote for the government in charge (Lieburals/Greens/ nnalert) or Chinese who hold government bonds. The idea of getting old cars of roads apeals to some Greens as save the earth, the politicians mostly figure it as a good campaign issue that seems to get them a few extra votes and campaign funds for energy independence from Arabs, farmers are persuaded by the new market for grain speechs, crooks just like the idea of extra building money and loopholes opportunities. Brazil was at least honest about their Ethanol production and vehicle mandates- couldn"t afford to buy outside petroleum products. Now to finish large cup of coffee and mellow out- have fun with the theory-- but consider how much might be true ;^) RN

I'm always amused by the guys who are having so much trouble with ethanol. It has been here in SD for almost forever the way it seems. I and my 2 sons run it everything we own and haven't experienced any of the problems that always come up on here. It has a cleaning effect on the fuel system so that might be giving problems when you start using it but after that it is fine. We used to put Heet in our gas in the winter to keep the fuel lines from freezing. Not with ethanol. My 94 Dodge Dakota runs fine on E30 mix. Old 2 cyl. tractors will run on E80. I leave E10 in my collection of JD's and start them once or twice a year and they start and run fine. If your leaving them set for awhile, add a little 2 cycle oil to it and you won't have any problems.

small engines are also known as "cheap" engines, some do not like ethanol. premium fuel is good for them. Ethanol is great for farm tractors.
I have 35 yrs exp with it,,,

Years ago 92 octane fuel sold at 7-11 in Missouri had ethanol in it. 87 octane did not. This was back in the mid 80s. This stuff has been around longer than most people realize. It is now mandated in Missouri at 10%, so you can't get away from it anywhere.

I used to get 32 MPG in my Toyota with real gas. With the 10% I get 29 MPG. I heard that there is a bill that they are trying to pass that would raise the alcohol to 15%. I now vote for only independants. The reps and the nnalert are both junk.

Congress is NOT considering changing to E15, the EPA is getting ready to approve it. The EPA says that newer cars have been tested with E15 with no problems, older cars have not been tested. Right now they are negotiating what sort of labeling will be required on the pumps.
Illinois Farm Bureau

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back