Exhaust Lift

rnicholas

I bought a B just to salvage a usable block for another project. It has an exhaust lift on it. I have no experience with these and in fact, this is the first one I've seen. Can these be rehabbed/restored? And if so, where can I find info on how they work--or how to hook them up? It looks as though it was used to lift the front cultivators with the back of it bolted to the axle and the front hooked to the cultivators.

Not sure if any parts are available for these lifts now days, about 30 years ago when I got my BN I was able to go to the local dealer and buy a new leather seal for the piston in the cylinder.

I'll try to give a rough description of how it works.

On the exhaust manifold there is a flapper type valve that when the linkage is pulled to the "raise" position the exhaust pressure going to the muffler is blocked and forced through a valve to the hose leading to the lift cylinder. As I recall it passes through a check valve of sorts that holds the pressure in the cylinder until linkage is moved to the "lower" position there by venting the pressure from the cylinder.

Unfortunately I ran under a tree branch while mowing with my Woods Mower and the muffler broke the upper section of the flapper valve so now I don't have a functioning lift system.

that position was not used for cults. the cults lifted with cycl mounted upright on left side in front of the light post. That system was used to lift all the implements made for the A and B tractors and there were many like 4 different types of cults two types of planters and the list goes on. The part you are talking about is called the pressure valve and finding a working one is rare unless it has been serviced. You can remove it from the manifold using lots of heat but realy are better off just leaving it there and replacing the manifold to avoid damaging the valve during removal. I have rebuilt several of those systems and sold same parts for the pressure valve flopper just arent around.there are some partds places that does have parts but do not sell to public as i have been told but I-H dealers can purchase.

It was definitely set up for the cultivators as the cultivators--minus the plows--were still there. I wish I had taken a picture before I broke it apart. The horizontal set-up appears very much to be home-made so at some point someone decided to change the vertical setup at the front of the tractor to a horizontal one resting just in front of the rear axle to the left of the driver.

I forgot to mention that the manifold on the engine block was gone when I bought it so I don't know how it was attached. All that is left is a half inch galvanized pipe coming up out of the lift and then making a right angle toward the engine with what looks like a valve and a handle on it placed about where the stearing wheel post is.

thanks. I've got to decide if I'm going to fool with this thing or not. Especially since I don't have the exhaust manifold that goes with it. And I'm assuming those would be hard to find or fabricate. I'm restoring an A that I guess could have used one of these on it and it would be interesting to include it in the restoration but I'd need that manifold.

The cylinder was on top of the transmission for
the plow---horizontally.
The other lifting of implements was done with the
cylinder mounted vertically on the front left.
Jim

I have an owners manual for the exhaust lift systems. I have to fully working ones and parts to make one more for my dad. If you want I can send pictures of the manual over email or you can message me on facebook. My email is [email protected].

I have a garden about 2 acers. using a 41 B and a 46 A all with exhaust lift equipment. all parts bought from Gene B. thanks Gene. Bob

(quoted from post at 17:36:36 12/25/18) I bought a B just to salvage a usable block for another project. It has an exhaust lift on it. I have no experience with these and in fact, this is the first one I've seen. Can these be rehabbed/restored? And if so, where can I find info on how they work--or how to hook them up? It looks as though it was used to lift the front cultivators with the back of it bolted to the axle and the front hooked to the cultivators.

Like this?

https://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/1469539
https://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/1469538
https://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/1469537

I think the above was a factory configuration, but mainly to lift the one-bottom plow.

If you're interested in employing this system, disconnect the supply line from the exhaust valve, insert an air compressor, and see if your cylinder will operate, at least. You're lucky if you have a working butterfly valve in the exhaust manifold that isn't deteriorated, but you might be able to get creative with replacing it .

Working on my Farmall B exhaust lift system as we speak. Gene could use some help with some parts stuff and some options. Can you shoot me a e-mail

Thanks Joe

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back