exhaust rain caps

Steve: I'll second the coffee can, doesn't rattle but more importantly it doesn't leak. Most water going down a stack is caused by deflections and one of the worst deflections is a rain cap, held open by the wind. Second would be parking the tractor near a higher object that the tractor, like a building or a tree. The third would be a loose exhaust pipe in the manifold, water runs along the hood and follows the pipe downward.

I always use the tin can, preferably one that fits snugly. If you happen to forget, one night rain will not hurt anything, providing none of the above happen.

I once left Farmalls 560D and a 300 in the middle of a 100 acre field, nothing over either exhuust, no higher objects within 500'. Over night we had winds and a 9" rainfall. When we started them, they hardly blew black soot. If there is a breeze the tractor itself creates an updraft, causing most water to blow right over the tractor. I've seen a lot more water down my 560 stack when it had a rain cap, and the wind held the cap up for hours deflecting water right down the pipe.

Bear in mind I am talking over night, any water even a little bit should not be left in the engine. Stacks should definitely be covered if a tractor is left longer.
 
I made one for my JD B out of a piece of PVC put a screw in it so it could be snugged up to the muffler. I also made a long one to fit over the breather stack to keep water out of it also. Work pretty good, of course you have to let the muffler cool a bit before placing it over it.
 
The ones on my Deere stacks came with the mufflers so they fit pretty snuggly and never run low enough to open and close. They just never close all the way or rattle while running. The one on my Allis-B fits snug and doesn't rattle, but at low idles puts out a nice ping...ping...ping...ping as it opens and closes. That little gasser's music to my ears. Got it off the shelf when bought the muffler at Big-R. In the barn I still put coffee cans over them. Force of habit.
 
I posted a smiliar question on rain caps a few days back about most popular direction to install the caps, good comments and suggestions, might be worth to look back at. All that said I decided to take my raincap off and had muffler shop make a curved or turn-out with slash tip. I like how it deflects exhaust alot better since this is on a diesel smoker, also looks good in my opionion. The cost was probably less than a good raincap to have it made, $10 with 2 muffler clamps included.
 
Right now I use a coffee can myself. I have attacted a light wire to the can and around the pipe. When I start my tractor the can always goes up and lays to side of tractor pipe. Works good and I have it handy where ever I park this old tractor.
 
One of my 4320's has a rain cap that is quiet and doesn't rattle, but that one is the only one I have ever had. All the rest I have removed and replaced with a can. I'll have to check what brand the good one is.
 
When I used to own my highway tractors, the raincaps used to tap, tap when it was ideling. I took a 1/4" bolt in the small hole in the flapper. and added nuts to it to stop the vibration, and the tat, tap when the truck was ideling.
Hope this helps.
Bruce.
 
(quoted from post at 00:56:25 04/20/08).... at low idles puts out a nice ping...ping...ping...ping as it opens and closes .... music to my ears ....

Yeah! Me too! :D
 
I'm not a big fan of rain flaps, but you have to be careful with cans. Someone I know left a can on the exhaust of a tractor that wasn't messed with for a few months and the rim of the can allowed enough water to be trapped that it rusted a hole through it and let water into the motor to the point that it was stuck. Plastic drink bottles or PVC pipe with caps work very well.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top