Extremely Deep Well Socket

Pooh Bear

Member
My brother needed an extra deep socket.
Don't know how the nut was put on there but it couldn't be gotten
to with a wrench, and a socket with extension wouldn't work either.
He brought me a regular socket, a length of water pipe and a wrench.
He asked me if I could weld it all together. I said maybe.
I did suggest he substitute a bolt for the wrench.
He could use a ratchet on the bolt and save the wrench.
The socket was a cheap throw away so no loss there.
My welds aren't pretty but this is the result.

207ni2p.jpg


Pooh Bear
 
I have a few home-made tools like that, sitting in the bottom drawers of my toolboxes.. Welding up things like that, I like to find a China socket, no use to ruin a good Proto, or Wright Socket..
 
We made the exact same thing when we were erecting I beams and needed something to quickly put nuts on the beam pad studs. Looks good.
 
I've had to make some like that, too. A weld engineer I used to work with pointed out that 308 SS rod makes the tool steel of the socket more compatible with A106 type steel of the pipe.
 
been there before! i love to see guys home-made tools! Torch and a welder is all a man needs- he can make everything else from there!
 
I did almost the same thing. On a Gleaner C-II there is a 2 inch nut on the threasher clutch side of the main shaft. For the 2 inch socket I made a female hex from a "bisket" of shafting with my mill and deviding head.

Kent
 
Me thinks that anyone who doesnt have a few of those around the shop hasn"t realy done much, LOL. Also makes me wonder about those who say there is NO uses for china sockets. My mechanic at work has a whole box full of extended sockets.
 
Having turned wrenches for 4 decades, I have said that you can tell how good the mechanic is by how many homemade tools are in his box. I don't see that many "techs" with this type stuff. No offense intended, young folks are techs. Us old farts are mechanics. Rick
 
Made one for a buddy who used it to take off the bolts holding the screens together at the gravel pit where he worked--took an all-day job down to a couple hours versus taking them off with end wrenches. Also made one for the axle nuts on the old Honda 3-wheelers.
 
Those are available at most farm tire shops. We used them to install dual wheels on tractors. Had them in 7 or 8 different sizes. We loaned them out all the time.
 
Like said supply places for tire repair have ready made deep sockets for the snap on dual bolts. I've made some deep ones before too but usually cut the socket and put the square drive on other end of pipe or use a saved bad stripped out socket. Racheting end wrenches work in odd places too on long bolts.
 
I"ve got one or two extended deep sockets for taking the clamp on duals off Deere tractors. Only difference is the sockets I made I used an impact socket that i had several of and cut in half, welded some water pipe to the hex part and then welded the 1/2in square ratchet half to the other end of the water pipe. Makes short work of those real long clamp bolts.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top