F-20 Engine Rebuild

We are getting ready to rebuild the engine in my son's F-20 for his 4H project this year. I know the engine has a light coolant leak into the crankcase. I am hoping that this is either the head gasket or liner o-rings. Will see...

But we are wanting to renew the power cylinders while that far into it. I am not finding replacement piston kits. I have read where many used to replace them with 4" kits. It doesn't appear these are available anymore. Rice, Alderson's or The Fordson House are either out of stock or only have $250+ per hole kits.

I have heard rumors that a Massey Harris 4" sleeve and piston setup will work. Anyone know if this is true of if there is another substitute? Some have said JD 3020. But that is a 4.25 bore. So I can't see that as an easy conversion.

Thoughts or assistance appreciated.

Brian, Is it a running tractor Now? If so Clean up all the parts, Hone the sleeves and put in new rings. If you don't need many parts it will save you money. You are asking for troble if you start putting in the wrong sleeves and pistons.
oldiron29

Brian, the replacement sleeve kits for the f20/t20 engines are no longer available. A number of years ago there was a company that made a run of kits but they were bought up very quickly. Every once in a while you can find a set but they are very expensive, saw a set of 4 pistons sleeves and rings bring 1k. As old iron suggested clean everything up,hone sleeves,install new rings, possibly replace rod bearings,check cylinder head and machine if needed and install new gasket kit. My buddy has done this on his,f20,f12,regular,f30,15-30 and all run great. Good luck, Jim.

Webers Tractor Works has a nos standard bore replacement kit listed, but its 1000 green ones. If you havent tried them, it 815 389-1493. Great people to do business with, as is Darrell Alderson.
If you're willing to wait, he may be able to come up with good used parts as he seems to part out tractors regularly.

I had the pistons knurled on one engine I built. It was fine for as long as I had it. It's not like you will put a crop in with this tractor.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back