F40 propane timing

mblair441

My F 40 was converted to propane before I got it. Unlike the MF 50 propane it does not have the factory propane build. I just changed to electronic ignition with all new plugs, wires, coil, etc, but dont feel like Im getting it timed correctly. At idle, the spec is 6 degrees btdc. At higher rpm it goes up, but as I idle down it pops. Also power doesnt seem quite right. When running propane on a stock gasoline engine, where should I set the timing? Im using a timing light but its hard to set. Any other recommendations?
Thanks

Years ago when I played with some LP engines, MOST had the distributors advance re-curved for LESS total advance, and the STATIC timing was increased BTDC slightly. That's what the IMPCO LP service book I have shows too, along with several LP IT tractor service specs. Make sure the distributor shaft/bushings are in good condition, worn parts make setting the timing next to impossible.

I'd start by checking the distributor. Mine was missing the advance mechanism. What your total advance at 2000 RPMS? I added a link to a post I had up about a gas Z134 with a Delco Distributer. In hindsight, I should have just bought a new distributor from Pertronix (D41-05A, I think).
link

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back