G jJD timing

KennyDiesel

New User
Drove G JD down road today and came back and would run on , after turning key off. I had counted teeth on flywheel and like 22 teeth should be around
26 degrees timing . Set this mark at WOT and at idle it came real close to mark for idle. If I set distributor by points opening , to flywheel timing mark ,
it is different than timing light.. Im I doing something wrong? Idle speed is 380 , wot is 1190.

Timing has ZERO to do with the cause of run on or dieseling. When you turn the key off the spark stops. The throttle plate not staying closed is the main cause. Lean out or get down beside the engine and see if the governor is pushing the throttle open when you shut it off. If it is you will have to figure out why, I am not a Deere guy so I cannot give any specific info on that. Other causes idle speed to high, low octane fuel, compression to high and hot spots in the cylinder like carbon. The last item only happens if the tractor was being pulled hard prior to shut down.

Magneto or distributor? Both should be static timed. Roll it forward, bring the left cylinder to TDC, pull the spark plug wire off and position the it near the frame or some ground. If a magneto roll it backward till the impulse trips and tighten it. If a distributor do the same thing with the key on till the spark jumps. Magneto has the advance built into the impulse coupling. Distributor has a centrifugal advance.

''would run on , after turning key off''

Normally, a John Deere ''G" wouldn't have a key switch.

If it DOES, it has been added ''in the field'', and what else has been done to the wiring, could it possibly have an alternator?

Operator manual OM-2009R page 7 shows a picture of a ignition key. On page 17 of the same manual, #8 If your tractor has battery-ignition, turn ignition key to the right. Seems to me if they came from the factory, not field installed

Alternator not wired correctly if it has one. WE time all our pulling tractors with a timing light. Trick is to find true TDC.

This post was edited by MSD on 05/03/2023 at 06:48 pm.

(quoted from post at 14:11:17 05/03/23)
''would run on , after turning key off''

Normally, a John Deere ''G" wouldn't have a key switch.

If the tractor came with a distributor, or was converted to one, it would have a switch.

If it has a magneto, then no switch.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back