Farmall 350 utility Power Steering

Dan.Nordmann

New User
I have a Farmall 350 utility tractor with power steering.

This winter I seen oil leaking from the oil seals by the arms that connect to the power steering unit.
Well I finally got around to replacing both seals (left and right side) and the leaking did stop from the arms. I thought it was all fixed...haha not.

Turns out I now have developed a new leak that seams to be coming out of the top of the steering wheel. I thought this was weird as this just started happening after I replaced the new seals where the arms connect.

One thing I find strange is this winter when I checked on the oil level that was in the power steering unit it was about an inch from the top. Though...

Checking today, after using the tractor for an hour or so (lots of turning) when removing the nut for the fill reservoir oil came flowing out. So wondering where this extra oil is coming from. It's not water as the tractor is always stored inside. I'm assuming somehow hydraulic oil is getting into the power steering unit. But my question is where. Looking at all the diagrams that show the exploded view of the steering I'm thinking some of the seals are bad where that piston for the power steering is.

Just seeing if anyone has more insight on this. Would there be any other place that hydraulic oil could seep into the power steering unit? I know the power steering reservoir is supposed to be separate from the hydraulic.

If not I guess it's time to start disassembly!

The oil will expand when warm/hot versus cold. that could be part of the overflow with plug out. As for anything else I have not worked on any of the older number series below the 806 nor over the H/M model.

The lower gears and racks run in 90wt gear oil. The top power parts operate in hydraulic (Hytran) oil. Pressure comes from a priority valve in the
Safety Regulator valve between the rear hitch control valve and the reservoir. There are seals on the shaft from the steering wheel, and seals below
that. The top seal is easiest, but requires pulling the steering wheel. The bottom seal is much more difficult, but may not be leaking. If the 90wt
is OK, just replace the top seal. The seals may be the only parts you can find on the entire unit and those from others by number matching. I own one
of these tractors since I was 8 years old. Jim

The tractor is not a Farmall, so using that name can cause issues finding parts. It is an International. Jim

(quoted from post at 05:12:25 07/13/21) The oil will expand when warm/hot versus cold. that could be part of the overflow with plug out. As for anything else I have not worked on any of the older number series below the 806 nor over the H/M model.

Since you mentioned this I did check after the fluid/tractor was cold. Oil was still spilling out the fill port so must be leak then somewhere else.

Thanks for the insight. I will see if I can get my hands on those seals. There are no other issues with turning just that it leaks oil after turning alot. Having the tractor idle for 10-15 minutes (not turning/moving) it seems like it doesn't leak.

I did pull the steering wheel and seen the top oil seal so that shouldn't be an issue to get to but guessing the added/increased oil level in the powersteering unit there is a seal somewhere that has failed.

So just so I have this right. The piston that drives the power steering that is getting oil from the hydraulic Hytran oil. Correct?

Thanks for the help!

leaking piston shaft orings # 60 can let Hytran into the lower gears. Also there is a combination of rings and seals above housing #30 in the column
that must maintain oil above the cam Worm track. Jim

Just seeing this now. Currently both my
300 and 350 have steering issues. My 300
with very good power steering just
started leaking out of the top of the
steering wheel and i just replaced all
seals down to the hydraulic valve. That
tractor also has a pretty good leak out
of the steering arm seal. The parts just
came in. I'd be interested to know how
you got the old seals out after you
removed the steering arms.

I bought my 350 knowing the power
steering only worked one way. I
completely tore down and replaced most
bearings and seals. Fortunately none of
the major mechanical parts seemed to be
bad. I reassembled and had serious leaks
at the bottom of the top cover and above
the valve cylinder that contains the
spool. It still does not steer correctly
and I'm wondering if the problem isn't in
the adjustments of the eccentric screws
or in the race.
I was advised that hydraulic oil leaks
may be due to oil getting to the top of
the steering assembly because the oring
on the piston in the cylinder that drives
the race may be shot. That just came in
and i will need to get that done too.
Good luck and i would appreciate any
advice being those steering arm seals
out.

(quoted from post at 09:56:00 07/17/21) Just seeing this now. Currently both my
300 and 350 have steering issues. My 300
with very good power steering just
started leaking out of the top of the
steering wheel and i just replaced all
seals down to the hydraulic valve. That
tractor also has a pretty good leak out
of the steering arm seal. The parts just
came in. I'd be interested to know how
you got the old seals out after you
removed the steering arms.

I bought my 350 knowing the power
steering only worked one way. I
completely tore down and replaced most
bearings and seals. Fortunately none of
the major mechanical parts seemed to be
bad. I reassembled and had serious leaks
at the bottom of the top cover and above
the valve cylinder that contains the
spool. It still does not steer correctly
and I'm wondering if the problem isn't in
the adjustments of the eccentric screws
or in the race.
I was advised that hydraulic oil leaks
may be due to oil getting to the top of
the steering assembly because the oring
on the piston in the cylinder that drives
the race may be shot. That just came in
and i will need to get that done too.
Good luck and i would appreciate any
advice being those steering arm seals
out.

Replacing the seals where the arms are was pretty easy. Getting the arms off...Well that was another story as they were rusted on. To remove the seals I just drilled a small pilot hole so I could put in a small screw(i used a gutter screw). Then just used a pliers to yank them out with a little leverage.

mvphoto78697.jpg

[/img:4f8c7490b5]
mvphoto78698.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back