Farmall 400 wide front question

oldbart

New User
Was there a front end for the 400 that was extra wide? I'm trying to change the front wheel width, and the axles wont slide in anymore. After trying to slide them in, I finally pulled one out and it was really long. Too long to slide in to reach the last pin(pin closest to tire). I'm really confused as the tie rod assembly was modified to be super long too. The wheel width outside to outside was 7'6". We have a truck farm with narrow beds and thats way too wide. I've decided to get new tie rod assemblies but I'm not sure how to address the axle. My only idea is to cut off the end a bit so it slides in further. I'm pretty sure its the IH front end not the schwartz because the tie rods stick out front.

<image src="http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/mvphoto18962.jpg"/>

first time I saw that. Its a IH wide front or part of one that the tie rods and steering arm should be to rear of axle. Unless someone shortened the center tube or have other knees from original I can't tell what the problem is from the picture. Can measure the center tube, knee and tie rod sometime today to compare if you don't get a answer solving the problem.

hello oldbart, looks like your front end was put together wrong. the tie rods and steering arm are supposed to be on the back side of that particular axle. you can probably swap the knees and steering arm so they are in the back. but the tie rod looks like it has been modified, maybe the knees have been to. if you want i can get you some measurements from a correct one.

It is IH.But it looks like a conglomeration of two(or three) different fronts.Definitly not a 400 style front.Old style clamp type front hubs;old style front drag link with modified tie rods(oreiginal should be one long and one short); Newer style pivot.....How narrow are going? it shouls easily slide to 60" c/c.However it could have the extra long 'knees' to allow it to straddle wide beds. 88" was common (four 22" rows).If it came out of vegatable/sugar beet/onion/pinto bean country it could very likely have the long axle. So,no it wonthurt a thing to cut off the inside ends to allow narrower setting. BTW,I have a (parts)SMTA with a cut down WF. someone cut it down to 44".Kind of a 'hatchet job',but it works.You would be really surprised to find out just how much stuff was cut up/modified in order to perform a certain task.I'm guilty of that myself! Steve

I found a weld! I measured for a 60" c/c and it should have been 19" from the last pin to the center. There at 19 was a weld of 6" to gain width. I guess I will have to undo some poor dude hard work from long ago
You said one long and one short tie rod? I was going to order these tie rod assemblies: #223313 or 382412R91 - 100869 Found these on ebay... http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400744492167?lpid=82&chn=ps

<image src="http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/mvphoto18966.jpg"/>

I'm thinking the whole axle assembly is backwards... plus there a neat custom extender from the steering arm to the tie rods?

<image src="http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/mvphoto18967.jpg"/>

You said the one pipe come's out, that's half of it, the other one should too, cut them off and make the tie rods fit, and you should good to go.

hello, your axle pivot that is bolted to the bolster is on backwards also.go to your local case ih dealer he can print you out a picture of what the front end is supposed to look like from his parts book.

Center tube should be close to 42 inches. Extension tube and knees close to 24 inches from end of tube to outside of rounded spindle tube.
Pivot casting that bolts to the upper bolster is turned 180 from normal. Wishbone will need removed and put in 180 and you may have to drill new rear support holes in the frame rails. Steering arm looks like the original that turns to the rear. You said it is extended but I can't tell in the picture. Spindles near the bottom on the front or rear should have a IH number. If its 358???R1 its from a SMTA,400 or 450. If they start with a higher number its a later model wide front parts.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back