Farmall 504D

My brother and I just purchased a 504 diesel. Tractor was stored in a barn and in really good shape. The man said it ran good when he parked it 4 / 5
years ago. He bought a larger 4 wheel drive tractor for snow removal So we got it home and changed the oil, all filters (fuel) and drained the old fuel (only has about a gallon of old diesel fuel in it) . Now the issue - it wont start - not getting fuel up to the injectors. We cracked all 4, and cranked on it for quite sometime. I know it has fuel up to the injection pump but not up the lines to the injectors. The manual said to loosen the return line and crank it to prime it. We did that, and there is only a small small dribble coming out. What is my next move on this? Thoughts, ideas, suggestions? I dont know anything about the pump other than it is a Rosamaster unit. I really dont want to tear into the pump but if I to I will. I know your all are experts. Any tricks for me to start with? JP. Thanks in advance.

Did you bleed the filter housings? with air in them it will not prime and run for three starter motors and several batteries. There should be more than a trickle out of the supply pump. Jim

Did you make sure that the fuel shut off/on lever was working on the pump? I only crack one line to let the air out so it can start on the other three.

Plunger is STUCK inside the pump from setting with OLD fuel . And the pump will need to come apart and cleaned . While ya have it apart might as well change the gov. ring . Myself i send pumps out and let the guy with the test stand do them.

I agree with the vet, after 5 years the plungers are probably stuck. I will attach a previous post that I give a run-down of what you have going on, give it a look. There is a reference manual attached to it and in my explanation I reference the diagrams in it. You have been on here long enough I suspect you know who Dieseltech is. There is a reply from him in the attached post as well, I would highly recommend you contact him, his YT email is open. You should be able to see it in the attached post if you are logged in. I will say this if you start messing around in the internals of an injection pump you better know what you are doing.
Previous YT post with info

Before you remove the pump, remove the pump cover and make sure the metering valve isnt stuck. If it isnt, then pull the pump.

Easy to do , turn fuel off remove the little timing window on the side of the pump and turn engine till the two timing lines line up and start removing the lines and linkage once that is done then remover the ft cover on the ft engine timing housing and remove the nut off the shaft remove the three nuts holding the pump to the housing and ya may have to use a gear puller to push the pump shaft out of the timing gear . I prefer to push the shaft out with the pump , some just remove the pump and leave the shaft in the timing gear , IF you chose to do it this way then wire the throttle arm back in the wide open this will help keep the gov weights from falling apart . the only draw back of leaving the shaft in the timing gear is that before you reinstall the pump ya have to install the new cup seals before ya put the pump back on and if ya don't have the seal start/ instillation tool the one cup seal can be a pain to not have it flip over . Next thing with your 504 Diesel is making sure the glow plugs are all working . My one friend had a 504 Diesel for years .

Do I have the lines / marks lined up on the pump correctly? It is hard to see the one line as it is somewhat rusty. I
Also is a pic of the the markings on the pulley. Does that also look correct?
cvphoto163423.jpg

cvphoto163424.jpg

cvphoto163425.jpg

cvphoto163426.jpg

cvphoto163427.jpg

cvphoto163428.jpg

cvphoto163429.jpg

Forgive me I have been away from tractors for almost 25 years. The mark on the right I think is the on that moves maybe I am wrong. If I am wrong and the left one moves I would say you are on the money. If the right one moves just to double check. I would crank the engine one turn a see if anything shows up then, if not then this must be it. Just a guess but that timing on the pulley is probably correct.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back