Farmall 560

kub6040

I ask a few months back about putting a 312 in a 560 and the general consensus was to fix the 282 , I did and now needs another head gasket . I am NOT putting a head gasket in this engine . Does anyone know what is required to put a 312 from a 686 in this 560 ?

how was the head gasket installed? procedure, torque and retorque. and head checked for flatness. and how many hrs ago? them felpro gaskets are very poor for that engine. your not a mechanic till u can install a head gasket on a 282 and make it last is my moto.

No answers were stacking up. If you have the combine engine and you are not going to fix the head gasket (I would fix that correctly as it is much less expensive) Pull both ans measure things as to fit. If it is a drastic difference, Selling the combine engine out of the combine is easier than if it is in place. Take a Video of it running so it will sell. Jim

Well if ya have and issue with the head gskt. your missing something . (1 ) flatness of the head, (2) sleeve stand out , (3) condition of the block , Head bolts , are they stretched ?? are your head bolts bottoming out inn the threads??? are the threads clean and dry . many people do not chase the threads on the holes and the bolts . Myself i do not like doing and in chassis rebuild i want everything right . I want the block clean , i want the line bore recut not Ground or honed CUT , i want the deck refaced then the counter bores recut ALL the same so i have proper sleeve set this is when you really get down to the nitty gritty with depth mic's amd mic's Before you shove in the sleeves as NOT all Sleeves are the same , just because you did a dead on counter bore does not mean that all the sleeve will set the same as the flang will differ and if ya got just one standing above spec.'s your going to have problems . And If ya used a junk Felpro head gskt then yep your going to have issues . Now as dumping a 312 in all i can say is let the fun begin , if out of a combine your going to need to change the oil pan and pick up tube , the ft engine timing cover and rear engine plate along with flywheel then mate up a clutch fuel lines linkage . heck ya can even stuff in a 466 but it ain't ah going to be a bolt in and go . ya want to go thru this why not dump in a 6.9 or 7.3 Or maybe a 500 caddy V 8 lots of them have been done , 460 fords . ya want to go thru this hows about a DT 360 out of a truck . change the injection pump from automotive to industrial . Or fix the issue on the D 282 . I am not there to check things , To do this ya need a true straight edge depth mic. and a dial indicator set up for sleeve protrusion , ya need a 1/2 x13 bottoming tap and a way to chase threads on bolts and check bolt length and look them over real close . The only time we have had and issue on a 560 D and head gskt. was one friends 560 with turbo when he had the fuel turned up looking for over 100 Hp at 80 Hp no issues .Do you have a GOOD Torque wrench that is correct , no i am not talking harbor Freight they are JUNK and NOT accurate

Yeah but I thought if it was a Felpro gasket it wouldn't matter what you did, it wasn't going to hold because the gaskets are faulty.

Unfortunately the old stock of good Victor gaskets is long gone and Felpro is the only choice.

(quoted from post at 19:46:15 11/20/23) I ask a few months back about putting a 312 in a 560 and the general consensus was to fix the 282 , I did and now needs another head gasket . I am NOT putting a head gasket in this engine . Does anyone know what is required to put a 312 from a 686 in this 560 ?

If it was a 460, you'd need nothing.

The 560 has the large bell housing bolt pattern. I think the rear engine adapter plate from a 360, 414, or 436 will work. It will stick out about an inch on either side of the bell housing, which you can machine off or leave in place.

That'll get the tractor back in one piece. From there it'll be up to you to figure out how to hook up the fuel, throttle, gauges, radiator, etc., how to make the hood fit, and 50 other little issues you'll discover along the way.

Thanks for the comments . To start with 282 will need new bearings as it was ran to long with water in the oil for my liking . 2 the engine only has 200ish hours on out of frame O/H the block and head are flat the head bolts have been replaced with arp studs . The block is to short and the compression is just more than the junk gaskets can take . I may well use a 466 as I also own one of them . 3 not buying an engine . 4 tired of spending money . Side not 312 would be farmable not a puller , 466 would be a puller and not so farmable.

Oh and for the TV I did Chase every hole in the block either regular tap for open hole or bottom tap for closed holes

We went through several head gaskets on our 706 before we realized 4 of 6 injectors were in dire need of being rebuilt. We did that and put all new Cat headbolts in and the blown head gasket issue went away.

There closed hole and ya always want to get just a whisker more thread art the bottom and maker darn sure the HOLE is CLEAN and DRY and when ya put the bolts in a touch of white grease on the threads and under the head of the BOLT .

Barnyard's got it. If you have the 466 and would have to buy a 312 from 686 I'd use the 466.
As long as the linkage from the steering wheel to the clutch has limiting stops in place you
can farm with it. If linkage threads are stripped and cowboying takes place nothing on tractor
is safe from breakage.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back