Farmall 656 gas tractor won't sustain firing

n-heptane

(sorry, I'm reposting because the title got chopped on my first post and the forum won't let me make any edits... please ignore if you've already seen my original post)

I am having some issues getting my 1969 Farmall 656 gas tractor to start. When I go to start the tractor, the engine turns over just fine. The engine then shows faint signs of firing for maybe one or two seconds, but this faint firing never sustains itself beyond one of two seconds. What might I consider looking into to troubleshoot? Here is my troubleshooting plan:

1) After attempting to start the tractor, remove the spark plugs and see if they are wet. If they are completely dry, this means that fuel is not getting to the engine. If this is the case, tap on the carburetor to loosen what may be a stuck needle valve.
2) Remove spark plugs while they are still attached to spark plug wires, touch the spark plug ground to a grounding surface, try starting the tractor, and make sure that each spark plug is sparking. If not all spark plugs are sparking, inspect the distributor. Consider replacing the rotor and cap.

Right before I started encountering this starting issue, I did have an electrical wire (18- or 20-gauge in thickness) break. This wire went from the battery's positive terminal to somewhere behind the instrument panel / dashboard. The break occurred somewhere behind the instrument panel. My current information (which I can't guarantee is fully correct) indicates this wire breaking should have no bearing on why my tractor is not starting because: 1) This wire appears to have nothing to do with ensuring the spark plugs are getting spark, and 2) I suspect this wire may have been added after the tractor left the factory given that I am not seeing this wire on the wiring diagrams I have looked at.

What are your thoughts? Is there anything else I might add to my troubleshooting plan? Can I rule out that wire breaking as a potential cause of these starting issues?
Thank you much.

Just view your other post in Modern View and the post will
all be together. It is a little difficult to figure out what reply
goes with a comment. Yes in a way the temporary hot wire
is suggesting that the wire you are talking to the battery is
needed. But really it is just a diagnostic step to determine
where your problem lies. Originally all power on your
tractor was taken off the large terminal on the starter that
the positive battery cable connected to. I would suggest
looking at that carb solenoid I posted about. I may have the
wiring diagram for your tractor. I will check and add it to the
other post. By the way, outside of weather issues it is not
the shop building that makes the repair, a shade tree can
serve the same purpose. It is using your brain, following
suggestions and thinking things through that makes the
repair a success.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back