Farmall A/B what year is it ?

jlw6479

New User
I’m looking to start my first tractor restoration with a barn find on a Farmall. The seller says their grandpa used a 39-1947 Farmall A axle under everything else that’s a B. Question…does that hurt the desirability and, seller is unsure exactly what year the tractor is. He sent me the numbers of FAB 201092. Any help is most appreciated ~ JLW

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 79
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 77
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 78
Farmall B serial numbers started with 182964 in 1947, which was the last year the B and BN were made. So, 1947.
As far as the front axle change, there are a few around that have been modified that way, so it isn't a one of a kind. But, I think it would be kind of neat to take to a show, but not more valuable. Even "restored", Dupont resto or bolt by bolt resto, you are mostly talking a $1500 tractor. Mine was $925, looking like this, with new tires, but minus the extra seat. You don't restore for the money, except to watch the money going out in the process. Enjoy. Makes a great parade tractor.
2021 Afton Christmas parade.jpg

Farmall B serial numbers started with 182964 in 1947, which was the last year the B and BN were made. So, 1947.
As far as the front axle change, there are a few around that have been modified that way, so it isn't a one of a kind. But, I think it would be kind of neat to take to a show, but not more valuable. Even "restored", Dupont resto or bolt by bolt resto, you are mostly talking a $1500 tractor. Mine was $925, looking like this, with new tires, but minus the extra seat. You don't restore for the money, except to watch the money going out in the process. Enjoy. Makes a great parade tractor.
View attachment 64316
Dunno why your pics didn't show up before I made my reply, but your pics show a Farmall A with a B front end, not vise-versa. Can't say I have heard of that combo. Only thing I would say for that, is probable stability issues on slopes to the left. The B had wider rear axles (both rear axles were the same distance from the centerline).

There are so many A/Bs out there that they are not especially desirable or valuable. Nice little tractors.What you have there is a'Frankentractor'. An A with a B front transplanted.So it's really not worth much. $500 give or take.But still a fun,useful little tractor. 'Old",who used to post here has had one for years that he uses for mowing.Go ahead and 'restore' Still an interesting tractor.I garrantee it will be the only one at shows and wil get lots of attention And a good one to get started with. Simple,too.

You can take the left axle housing and drive shaft off a B to make one. Just need an A stub axle drive shaft to make it a 1 row narrow front tractor....James

Last edited:
All you have to do is take the left axle housing and drive shaft off a B to make one. Just need an A stub axle drive shaft to make it a 1 row narrow front tractor....James
Or... marry at clutch houseing;B pedestal to A;Several ways to do this.That's a good thing about the IH tractors. Enough commonality to make all kinds of 'Frankentractors'.

Dunno why your pics didn't show up before I made my reply, but your pics show a Farmall A with a B front end, not vise-versa. Can't say I have heard of that combo. Only thing I would say for that, is probable stability issues on slopes to the left. The B had wider rear axles (both rear axles were the same distance from the centerline).
I would rather have an A front on a B rear...... The B front on an A rear looks a little tippy to me..... 😀

Thank you so much for the info !
Because of the tip factor, If I pull the trigger on this little tractor and keep it as is, it sounds like it would be better suited for a parade only instead of actually using it like a tractor.
Will any A front regardless of the model year work on this or would it need to be a ‘47 front end ?

I was wondering if someone would bring up "tipping".The 'tip factor' is mostly imagination. Just use common sence and there wont be any trouble. An A is supposed to have a heavy cast wheel on the right side to counter ballance the offset engine.

Because of the tip factor, If I pull the trigger on this little tractor and keep it as is, it sounds like it would be better suited for a parade only instead of actually using it like a tractor.
Will any A front regardless of the model year work on this or would it need to be a ‘47 front end ?
Any A front will work. However you will need the complete bolster as well.

Agree, there are multiple ways to mix and match A and B parts to create a monster. In this case, it still has the B right axle and B platform. So closer inspection should confirm that it is a B that has had the left axle extension removed and a short A axle shaft used in place of the long B shaft. Since it still has the B right side, no existing IH drawbar would fit. So they made one, evidently chopping up the B drawbar in the process.

Stability of this combination has been challenged in the past. There are a couple considerations that do make it less stable than an unmodified A. How significant they are is open to question and unlimited argument.

As pointed out, they are balanced with weighted right rear wheel. The narrow front is not going to make it more tippy than the pivoting of the standard wide (offset) axle. It would take putting them on a tilt table to make that comparison. If you are nervous, it could have an extra wheel weight and Rim Guard put in the right rear as well. Jim

Thanks to everyone for chiming in… one last question. The serial number on this tractor is FAB201092 Does FAB not stand for Farmall-B ?

Yes, an FAB prefix on the serial number means it was/is a B. By the way, there also will be an engine number stamped into the engine block (roughly below cylinder 1's spark plug). It will probably start with FABM, followed by a number that will be very close to the serial number. During 1947, they did some different things with the engine number prefix/suffix letters so don't be surprised by letters different than what I just said.

I was wondering if someone would bring up "tipping".The 'tip factor' is mostly imagination. Just use common sence and there wont be any trouble. An A is supposed to have a heavy cast wheel on the right side to counter ballance the offset engine.
I brought it up ..... I have several narrow front tractors and several offset tractors. Both are perfectly safe if operated correctly. My comment was based on a narrow front offset that IH ( nor anyone else) ever built, for obvious reasons. And I'm the first guy to call a narrow front tipping over a myth..... My 2 cents, which ain't worth much 🤣

Yes, an FAB prefix on the serial number means it was/is a B. By the way, there also will be an engine number stamped into the engine block (roughly below cylinder 1's spark plug). It will probably start with FABM, followed by a number that will be very close to the serial number. During 1947, they did some different things with the engine number prefix/suffix letters so don't be surprised by letters different than what I just said.
I thought that meant it was a B. Thanks for confirming.

That would mean to make it "correct" you would need to install the left axle housing and longer shaft from a Farmall B (not a BN). Installing a wide front would further Frankenstein the tractor.

That would also mean that it is unlikely to have the heavy cast wheel hub on the right, as a B did not require it.

A's and B's have limited usefulness due to lack of hydraulics, and difficulty in finding complete mounted implements for the tractors. The implements are tractor-specific, and completely self-contained including lift mechanisms. Lots of fiddly parts that have usually gotten lost over the years.

Something else to consider. Dont forget about the 'lard butt' of some operators that counterbalances things. ;) Sorry. I just had to throw that in.

How about assembling a tractor with two left side A axle/housing assemblies with the B front end? If I had access to the parts I'd do it just to take a picture for YouTube!

I thought that meant it was a B. Thanks for confirming.

That would mean to make it "correct" you would need to install the left axle housing and longer shaft from a Farmall B (not a BN). Installing a wide front would further Frankenstein the tractor.

That would also mean that it is unlikely to have the heavy cast wheel hub on the right, as a B did not require it.

A's and B's have limited usefulness due to lack of hydraulics, and difficulty in finding complete mounted implements for the tractors. The implements are tractor-specific, and completely self-contained including lift mechanisms. Lots of fiddly parts that have usually gotten lost over the years.
Agree on all points. By the way, there was a heavy wheel option for the B that used the heavy cast disk on both sides. It does not appear that this tractor has that option, at least the left that shows in one picture.

When you find all/most of a B implement, it is usually for the pneumatic lift. Getting the lift to work reasonably well is another whole project.

On the stability question, I don't question the basic static balance nearly as much as the dynamic. The narrow front end makes it too easy to try for an abrupt right turn, intentional or not. That is probably the biggest risk of a roll to the left.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back