Farmall A Lifters Sticking

wowsk

I'm working on a Farmall A. Got done overhauling the engine, ground the valves and seats, and took apart the rocker arm assembly and cleaned it up. Put everything together and had terrible compression on most cylinders. Took the valve cover off thought maybe I needed to check valve lash again, but no some of the valves were stuck open.

Took out one of the push rods and the valve is fine and rocker arm, it is the lifters sticking down below. If I push the push rod down it goes back down but is definitely tougher than it should be.

Right now I'm trying to pour penetrating oil, mystery oil, etc down while cranking to try and lubricate the lifters. I really would like to avoid having to tear the thing apart to pull the cam.

Any other advice? Anyone else ran into this? I thought about dropping the pan, but I don't think that will help?

Thanks,
Noah

when you assembled the engine did you use any assembly lube or at least oil on the lifters? i would pull a couple lifters and check them and
the lifter bores.

I did not pull the cam, just the top end, rod bearings, oil pump. I didn't take the front apart.

Do you have to take the engine off to get the cam out, or just remove the front end?

Thanks,
Noah

I'm guessing it was put together dry with no oil on parts as he went. I could be wrong. I would with the top open juust pour some new engine oil down the push rods till it over flowed on the the lifters and then work them up and down by turning just the cam. If they didn't loosen up in a short bit then would need to pull the cam and see why they are so stuck in the bores. They weren't removed so not not mixed bore assembly IF you do pull the cam and the lifters keep them in order from one end to the other.

appears to me this engine was sitting and the tappets have rust on them. they need to be removed and clean the bores and tappets up. thats a
big job.so if you have them out check the surfaces for wear. they need to be convex. if not get them resurfaced. rust in the bores is a real
wear agent.

Just the front end will have to come apart. Just an FYI,
those old tractors do not have full flow oil filtration. So
any particles like rust chunks or flakes that break loose
and get into the oil pan, if they are small enough to get
through the oil pump screen they will be pumped up
into the bearings.

Thanks for the advice guys. I did assemble everything with plenty of oil/grease where applicable. Like I said though I never removed the front end or came so didn't touch the lifters.

Good to know just the front end needs taken apart to remove the cam. If it doesn't loosen up it shouldn't be too hard to take the cam out.

Thanks,
Noah

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back