Farmall A runs 10 minutes stops

Sourbone

New User
I have a Farmall Model A, crank start. It seemed to be overheating and the engine would stall out. I took the radiator and had it acid dipped and cleaned out. I cleaned out the water jacket with Washing
Soda and hot was as directed in the manual and flushed it out with a lot of water. I put on a new fan belt. It is quite tight with 3/4 inch play as the manual says it should have. I have a mower deck. It
starts well, but after mowing 15 to 25 minutes the engine seems to start choking out. The engine will idle unevenly while siting, but it will die out with a load on it. Seems like something is getting hot and
causing the stall out. Any ideas.

Two quick checks: Vent in the gas cap must be open, The coil (in the mag) could be breaking down. Check for spark at shutdown, See if fuel will run from the carb drain (in the bowl) with a healthy stream to fill a coffee can in a minute or less. Jim

Further to Jim's comments, you can run the tractor without the gas cap (half fuel level for safety) or you can try choking the engine when it starts to die. If either helps it is a fuel issue and not a spark issue. There can also be debris in the fuel tank causing occasion stumbling, draining the carburetor into a can for an extended period lets you know whether there is a fuel debris issue. It may need to be several minutes of draining to see the problem.

The coil is going bad. When it dies or starts to sputter, if it's distributor ignition place your hand on the coil, it should be warm but if it is too hot to leave your finger on very long it's going bad.
Same with a mag ignition, but the coil is on the inside behind the points plate, bit harder to get to in time. A good person who rebuilds mags can test the coil, but most simply replace it as their experience tells them most coils are bad by the time a rebuild is due. If yours has a mag I would have it checked or rebuilt first.

I ran the tractor without the gas cap on, and it still started chugging and stalled out. I'll give it another try with the gas flow.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back