Farmall A Sickle Mower

I recently acquired a 1941 Farmall A from my uncle, his father(my grandfather) bought it new and I am now the third family member to be its caretaker. I moved it from Wisconsin to North Carolina where I am preparing an old 10 acre farm for my retirement digs. There will be hay to cut and I am wondering what would be the best setup to use with the old Farmall A. When I was a boy I remember my uncle cutting hay with a rear mounted sickle bar but there must be many options and the hilly terrain on my NC property may be better suited for something else. I love the old machinery and if a sickle mower would work and I could find one to restore, that would be my choice. Looking for some good advice from some old timer experts.

Attachments

• Farmalls at KC.jpg
    Farmalls at KC.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 44
I recently acquired a 1941 Farmall A from my uncle, his father(my grandfather) bought it new and I am now the third family member to be its caretaker. I moved it from Wisconsin to North Carolina where I am preparing an old 10 acre farm for my retirement digs. There will be hay to cut and I am wondering what would be the best setup to use with the old Farmall A. When I was a boy I remember my uncle cutting hay with a rear mounted sickle bar but there must be many options and the hilly terrain on my NC property may be better suited for something else. I love the old machinery and if a sickle mower would work and I could find one to restore, that would be my choice. Looking for some good advice from some old timer experts.
The sickle bar mower made for the A is the model A-16. It has a hand lift and is a mounted mower. I have one on the BA I built

Limited power and lack of hydraulics pretty much eliminates any modern means of cutting.

Your best bet will be to find an old semi-mount (the kind with the tailwheel) sickle mower that bolts to the u-shaped drawbar on the tractor. Those have the best chance of being complete because they're self-contained, unlike a mower specifically made for a Farmall A, which are usually missing small crucial parts needed to mount them to the tractor.

Limited power and lack of hydraulics pretty much eliminates any modern means of cutting.

Your best bet will be to find an old semi-mount (the kind with the tailwheel) sickle mower that bolts to the u-shaped drawbar on the tractor. Those have the best chance of being complete because they're self-contained, unlike a mower specifically made for a Farmall A, which are usually missing small crucial parts needed to mount them to the tractor.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. Finding something that will work is half the fun of working on these old machines.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back