Stroby

Forgive me if there is an existing article on this subject, but I don't seem to know how to "search" for articles on this site. I recently got a Farmall A model tractor from my Dad's estate. The steering wheel can be rotated almost 1/2 turn before anything moves at the steering fork. I immediately discovered that if you travel more than half throttle on a paved road, the front wheels shimmy almost uncontrollably. Not a good thing. I have not removed/worked on anything yet, but it appears that the tie rods are still in pretty good shape, doesn't indicate there is a lot of "slop" there. I am wondering if the worm gear can be adjusted to take out some slack, or maybe after removal I could have the gear built back up to the original thickness? Or is it just better to find one in a scrap yard and hope it is better than the one I currently have. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Have you checked for wear in the key and keyways that connect the "worm wheel" to the steering gear output shaft?

Typically there's lots of wear there and is the common cause of "looseness" in the steering.

I have both an "A" and a Super A. I have no trouble with the A but the super A is like yours. I found that key way in the sector gear is worn and also the key. I replaced the key with a wider one and also filed the sector gear to fit. Both tractors have mowers and do a lot of turning. Only the Super A has the problem, it is getting worn again. Bill

This might help. Pictures too!

https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=farmall&th=835349

Look at these three areas: Where the steering shaft from the steering wheel enters the front bolster, the shaft should not move in and out of its entry hole, just turn. if it moves in and out as it turns, the deep groove bearing under the big plug is worn. Where the shaft comes out the bottom and attaches to the steering arm the nut and shaft must have zero looseness to the arm. Some are keyed, and some are square tapered. If neither of those show loose, the interior bushings and the key between the sector gear and the shaft mentioned in #2 are likely worn. The last one is the most difficult to repair as the bushings and shaft are built into the bolster casting. Jim

jack the front up so both wheels are free then you can check the ball ends the link off the steering sector and mite not need to go into the steering sector but those are the first things to check.

A friend bought an A last summer with the same problem. Upon taking the steering mechanism apart, turns out there was a burr on one of the parts, and it was not fully seated during assembly. Removed the burr, reassembled, and the steering now is great.

Sorry.......don't know where the burr was. A take-apart might be in store.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back