Don F

New User
Looking for some help and advice. Am restoring
Farmall A. Steering wheel is pited has several cracks, (all the way through) Should a person buy a new one or is there some place that reconditions them, your advice please. In the paint code I find the color code for the red, but not for grey on the rims. Can anyone help.
Many thanks.
Don F.
 
As far as the wheel, I know there are a coule of outfits that will restore them. Don't know about the steel, but they repair/restore the plastic/rubber. No idea how their cost compars to buying a replacement, but figurew they must be competitive. I'll get out to the garage tomorrow and see if I can find the names of one or two of them for you.

As far as the rims, a flat aluminum paint is a pretty good match for the old galvanized. Watch that you don't get that chrome looking aluminum. It's mighty hard on the eyes.
 
I would just buy me a new steering wheel. As for the rim color they were galvinized. No paimt code for them. I use aluminum paint applied with a brush on mine and they turn very well.
 
On the steering wheel, there are places that re-do your old wheel but I've found for the price, it's about the same to buy an after market wheel. You might find a good used one at online auction sites or after market ones at places like here on this site, Steiners Tractors/OEM Tractor Parts, etc.
As far as the rims go, they were originally galvanized which gave them the silver gray look from the factory. Most folks use a variety of regular aluminum paint, one called Silver Argent, some like the look of Hammerite Silver, etc. It's a personal choice, I've always had good luck using brush on Rustoleum Aluminum. Make sure the rims are good and clean before painting and it should last several years provided you don't have any rusted thin areas.
 
I use Massey grey on my rims. Looks original. By a new steering wheel. Rebuilding is not really practical. New ones are priced all over the place. Just look and you will find one for 50 or even less.
 
I look the look of the Hammered Rustolem myself. Looks a little more like galvanized metal than plain silver paint.

Brushing on is fine. Just don't paint on a hot day or on hot steel. The paint has to sit and flow some to get the bigger hammer effect. Hot steel solidifies the paint too quickly.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top