Farmall C Starting Problem

Elginred

New User
My 1952 C runs fine and has good power but needs to be pulled in order to start. The starter has good engagement and spin but C will not start. The carb is an IH and has been rebuilt but it floods and gas pours out of it.

Couple things to check. If choking it and it don’t start that is normal to have gas run out the carb drain. The float pin has to be squeezed to hold it in place. But u say it runs good after starting so that would not be the problem. When doing a carb job the electrical side should be checked also. Meaning points and timing , even a valve adjustment is good to check and do. That tractor should start within the second revolution. You need to have the points and timing set to spec as I always say. Spec means to what the factory calls for, none of this eyeing up the points and timing by ear. Then the carb is set last.

My 1952 C runs fine and has good power but needs to be pulled in order to start. The starter has good engagement and spin but C will not start. The carb is an IH and has been rebuilt but it floods and gas pours out of it.
If it does that you have a problem with the float or the needle seat

Timing, valves and carb all probably need adjustment....all simple to do. I'm assuming it has a distributor? Not a magneto? Impulse in the magneto could cause your issue, if that what you have......... On another note, what is an IH carb? I've seen Carter, marvel schebler, and zenith on a C...... only IH branderd carb I've seen are on Cubs 👀

I would say flooding is a large part of the problem . Find a different guy to do the carb. If it runs as good as you say it does, then you shouldn’t have to do anything further.

My Farmall C s has Carter and zenith carburetor . They don’t need much choke to start. , one turn Of crankshaft . More than that it will weep out vent . More turns with full choke ,and I flooded it. Just have to wait to clear . Twenty minutes
One turn of crankshaft and goto half or quarter choke ,try that. Sometimes I start without choke and goto quarter choke or half choke to warmed up after it’s started .
set throttle to 1/3 advance starting,. What I used to doing , good luck

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back