Farmall C, Super A, 140, 200, etc. Hydraulic Pump Weak

RTR

The hydraulic pump on the Farmall 140 tractor is in need of repair or replacement. The hydraulics work, but they are weak. I could buy a used Hyd. pump from a guy that parts tractors out, but how would I know if it would be good or not? Is there a way to check them if you don't have an engine to run them on?

What makes the pumps operate weakly? I have a rebuild kit (orings and gasket) but didn't think that would solve the problem of being weak.

You can't. That's the problem. Used pumps are a pig in a poke.

Then you usually pay 1/2 price of a new pump for a used pump with NO guarantee, and 9 times out of 10 they're just as bad as the one you took off. Now you get smart and buy a new pump, but you would've been way ahead if you'd bought the new pump in the first place.

This kind of hydraulic pump is two gears meshing together, a gear pump. Gear pumps get weak when the mesh of the gears gets loose, or the gears wear into the end plate of the pump, or seals/gaskets/orings allow pressure to escape past them.

New gaskets and seals may well be all your pump needs. For what it costs vs a whole new pump, it is worth it to try that route first.

I would rebuild your old pump with new gears. Take a close look at the old gears for wear. Here's a breakdown on the Super C Pesco pump. Install a pressure gauge to see what your hydraulic pressure is> Hal
a155467.jpg

You might consider using something besides HiTran in the lift as it was intended to use oil with the viscosity of power steering fluid. That will not fix the problem with a weak system though, just a slow or sluggish system. Larry

(quoted from post at 19:03:24 04/29/14) I would rebuild your old pump with new gears. Take a close look at the old gears for wear. Here's a breakdown on the Super C Pesco pump. Install a pressure gauge to see what your hydraulic pressure is> Hal

Are new gears available (Case/IH or aftermarket?). Also, how would one install a pressure gauge to check it?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back