Farmall H Alternator conversion done

super99

And it works!!! The problem I had was with the 30 amp fuse that the directions I got from this site said I needed to add on. Chris Pratts directions were good except for that part . As someone posted when I asked for help, if you had a 37 Amp alternator if probably would have worked fine, but with a 60 amp, as another poster replied, you might as well get a 5 gallon bucket of 30 amp fuses. Anyhow its done and works like it should, the thanks to all who helped me get this figured out. I started it and at Idle it was charging past 30 on the ammeter. I let it idle until it dropped back to 15 before I sped the engine up . Neighbor is happy, he said I was the 4th guy he asked to do it. First 2 died before they got there, 3rd guy his health got bad and after 4 or 5 years its finally done. Thanks again,Chris
cvphoto151710.jpg

cvphoto151711.jpg

Good outcome. I do believe in a fuse, or fuse link, they do the same task. The fuse (or fuse link) should be 5% more amp rating than the alternator max. A backward connected jump start, or short circuit output, or a shorted alternator can create a fire hazard. A properly rated fuse wont blow without cause. Jim

I went the smaller Hitachi route, Worked very well and the Hitachi had a pully that was split in half so all i had to do was add a washer
between the halves to accommodate the wider belt.

Beagle

other 3 ,bad health n died best carry a horse shoe,toss salt over your shoulder.
looks good glad you got it working

I'm glad your alternator works fine.

My concern is the size of the ballast resistor.

The 6v coil on my Jubilee measures 1.3 ohms.
I bought a new 6v coil to have as a spare,
It too measures 1.3 ohms
To get 6v on the coil, the ballast resistor should be 1.3 ohms.

The conversion kit sold on YT only uses a 0.6 ohm resistor.

What size ballast did you use?

cvphoto151732.jpg

cvphoto151733.jpg

IMO, using a smaller ballast will burn points faster.
Along with possible damage to ballast and coil.

You might get lucky and a .6 ohm ballast will work for a while.
If you do the math, the primary current will be in excess of 6 amps.

Thanks for posting your results..

Part number of the Hitachi? Can't quite make it out in the photo...

Like to do this on one of my old machines. Fortunately it's a diesel so no coil issues.

It all fits below the top of the radiator so should be no issue. Its been long enough that he has to find the hood.

It runs, it charges, and most importantly the owner is happy. What I think about the belt width, Geo thinks about the ballast resistor, or that some point out you could have used the smaller Hitachi alternator instead of the Delco doesn't matter at this point. Glad you got it going.

(quoted from post at 04:38:52 04/06/23) Part number of the Hitachi? Can't quite make it out in the photo...

Like to do this on one of my old machines. Fortunately it's a diesel so no coil issues.

The numbers on that alternator won't help you, that is a Delco one wire type alternator in his photo, not a Hitachi.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back