Farmall H Value

Chris Sw

New User
After much consideration I have decided to put my 42 Farmall H up for sale. The tractor starts and runs good, took it a few miles down the road the other day, we used it to rake about 25 acres of hay this summer. It would be a very could project tractor for someone to restore from the ground up. It has a new generator and new water pump. Paint is in decent shape. I was wondering if you all could help me out with what the value of this tractor might be. I was going to ask $3,000 for it but dont want to scare off potential buyers if that price is to high. Just don't know what antique tractors are going for now days...Thanks!

Wow...maybe I was a sucker when I bought it..I only raiaed the price enough to cover the money I have in it with the new parts.

Just saw a nice looking and good running 1952 H with straight sheet metal, a decent loader with snow bucket, and good tires with rear tire chains for sale. Asking price was $1000, but owner said he would consider cash offers. (Still trying to convince myself not to make an offer! Don't need the tractor, but been thinking about it most of the day. Wouldn't mind having an H again.) Anyway, I've seen several H's like the one you're describing for sale here in MN this summer for $800-$1000. Saw another one last week that looked decent, fair tires, ran good, for $650. I should have bought that one. Can't buy 'em all though. Bottom line, I'm afraid you have about a $900 tractor in reality.

We have no Idea what you paid, but this is not a hobby for financial success unless you buy a SMDTA Highcrop for 500. Then it is possible as long as you do not spend 14000 making it worth 16000, not including labor. The truth is they are worth more than they will bring when compared to lawn tractors, but lawns do not need them. If it had new tires all around and as is possible 1800 to 2000 Jim

(quoted from post at 19:11:22 08/23/11) Wow...maybe I was a sucker when I bought it..I only raiaed the price enough to cover the money I have in it with the new parts.

yeah replacing parts on classic stuff doesn't really work that way, its not worth any more with a new generator than it was before the generator failed. About the only new parts that will increase the value anywhere near what the parts cost is tires. Unless yours has new rubber or some rare accessories with it, i'd agree with the others that its a $1500 tractor.

The sad truth of the matter is almost all of us have way more in our tractors than they'll ever be worth, same goes for my classic cars.

These are all very good suggestions, I will deffinetly be reconsidering my price. It's strange though, i have yet to see an H around here in South Central PA going for less than $2,000. I paid $2,400 for mine and at the time thought that was a fair price. Every tractor show i go to i see about a dozen tractors sitting for sale, no matter what brand of tractor, as long as it isn't sitting on blocks, there is none with a starting price less than 2 grand. Even tractors sitting along the road around here will only last about 2 weeks before they disapear. When I bought my H i actually had to beat another guy to it, which i found out shortly after, he had showed up 30 min later ready to buy it. Maybe there is more interest in antique tractors around here for some reason?

yeah maybe your area has more demand for the tractors, or possibly more disposable income, or just less decent tractors available.

There's no harm in pricing it high and seeing what kind of offers you get, you can always come down if there's no interest.

I hate to see how cheap tractors go for around here, many of the rougher ones go for scrap value and get parted out. It makes me want to buy them all... but I know buying them is usually the cheapest part, restoring them is the expensive part. I don't have time or money to save em all.

A farmall collector here in central iowa recently sold his collection. he had an H for every year mfg. the more common ones sold for about $1800. that was with new paint,tires,& batterys. Jim

(quoted from post at 21:02:20 08/23/11) A farmall collector here in central iowa recently sold his collection. he had an H for every year mfg. the more common ones sold for about $1800. that was with new paint,tires,& batterys. Jim

yeah thats just about enough to make ya cry.

I paid 1150 for my H and have spent over 1000 on it in the last year. Still no where near done. I hate seeing them go for peanuts already restored but I don't really want to buy them that way, restoring them is 75% of the fun IMO.

Pricing on tractors is really influenced by location. Going price for a decent H in western PA is around $1200 - $1500. Some a bit higher and some a bit lower. Condition plays alot in that of course. I did see a fully restored one go for $2200. I paid $800 for my running '42 H, although complete, it was moderately rough. However, it only had 3 years on an engine rebuild.

Yea,Amen (responding to BOTH janicholson and Chev Cowboy)

To me the REAL value in my Farmall is what it can help me do!!It is WELL worth the money I paid because it grades,mows,plows,disk,pulls trees,moves cars,pulls wagons,ect,ect.I know no matter how much money I put into it,I will only get about the same amount out of it that it originally cost me.(The reason I am "choking" right now on having to buy new rear tires!!!)Its kinda like a "pay it foreward kinda deal,I guess? Unless it is SUPER rare,your only going to get average market value out of it.(BTW,behind the 8N ford,your tractor was the #2 biggest seller,LOTS of them out there!)

Farmall H's are the most common farm tractor that comes up for sale around here. So-so tires and average looking, runs and is usable would have it bring 1100 to 1200 dollars and that is with a lot of people bitten by the collector bug in recent years. Back before people had an itch to re-paint everything a good H would seldom bring over a 1000 dollars.

Here in Western, Pa you can get a good running H or an M for between $800 and $1500 . They are plentiful on both Craigslist, YT and PennsWoods. An occassional completely repainted and with new tires tractor will bring $2000. H's and M's that are much over $1500 just don't get sold. One only needs to keep the ad phone number and call it after a month or so. The high priced ones are generally still available. Here people are constantly running there ads over and over. The used tractor market ain't what it once was.

I just saw an H today that was blowing oil out the exhaust when it ran that the owner thought was still a $1000+ tractor. It has VAC fenders, old tires, but did have paint and a battery box. He was selling it for his brother on CL and wouldn't give a price in person, on the phone, or in the add. I said it was a $500 tractor. I know how much it costs to do motor work! He said he would take a video of them crushing it at the scrap yard and put it on YouTube for me.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back