Farmall M 5th Gear

FarmerBrawn

New User
Had a post a while ago about an M that I can’t get into 5th gear.

Appreciate all the help.

I replaced the pilot bearing and bearings in front carrier as they were pretty bad. The 5th gear looked ok to me ant the time but maybe I don’t know what I anm talking about. Unfortunately I still don’t think it is fixed.

The shift rails looked fine. Is this the correct gear engagement for 5th gear? Seems like ot should engage 1/4” farther and it is did it wouldn’t try to roll off

A239C7D2-AF45-447F-B88F-5A887BB5D256.jpeg

Appreciate all the help.

I replaced the pilot bearing and bearings in front carrier as they were pretty bad. The 5th gear looked ok to me ant the time but maybe I don’t know what I anm talking about. Unfortunately I still don’t think it is fixed.

The shift rails looked fine. Is this the correct gear engagement for 5th gear? Seems like ot should engage 1/4” farther and it is did it wouldn’t try to roll off

View attachment 69931
Those look like the original gears, or used gears from looking at the tooth wear (flanks) at the bottom of the image. If so the wear that causes the issue of jumping out or not even trying to stay in gear is in the splines on both the gear and the input shaft. 5th lever movement is 50% of the stroke in any other gear because the splines only overlap 3/16" or so when fully engaged. The splines are case hardened, and recontouring them with a dremelmight work for a while, but not well. I think the issue will remain with those gears in place. Jim

Upvote 0

Appreciate all the help.

View attachment 69931
The gear should slide up a bit further and completely close that gap on the spline. Looking at how dry everything is in there I wouldn't be surprised that there is a slight bind in there. Give it a bit of lube before anything else, and then slide it into 4th and then forward into 5th and see if you get it to go all the way forward.

First pic is in neutral, second is in 5th.

Attachments

• IMG_20240506_142346093.jpg
    IMG_20240506_142346093.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20240506_142406516.jpg
    IMG_20240506_142406516.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
Upvote 0

Appreciate all the help.

View attachment 69931
Looking at picture it seems the input shaft gear driving the constant mesh gear needs to go rearward. Would check bearings on input shaft and make sure front bearing has a retaining ring on OD. If good try shimming at one end of bearing spacer to move input shaft drive gears toward rear.

Upvote 0

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back