Farmall M Fuel Flow

Sparky70

I turn on the M gas at sediment bowel. It runs for a short period then shuts off. I leave it sit for a min and it starts, but same sequence. Cleaned sediment bowel, cleaned carb filter and gas line from sediment to carb. My question is how well should gas flow from tank to carb? To my mind it is not that free flowing. Could be junk in bottom of tank or exit hole partially clogged, Does that sound right? Thanks

With the fuel line off of the carb and the
sediment bowl valve open you should have a
steady flow from the line. If you are not
getting that, turn the valve off. remove the
bottom of the sediment bowl, and open the
valve. You should see two streams coming from
the bottom of the housing. If you don't, then
shut the valve back off, and drain the tank.
Next unscrew the sediment bowl housing from
the tank. With the housing removed you will
be able to drain the rest of the fuel into a
clean bucket and inspect the fuel for any
sediment. Also inspect the inlet side of the
housing to make sure it is clear of any
obstruction.

Ok, thanks for the post.i will try all that tomorrow.

I assume the fuel cap should be vented some

Will let ya know how it goes, thanks

I don't think I've ever had a tight fuel cap
on a single 3digit or letter series Farmall.
But yes, they should be vented.

Fx, I am trying to determine what your basis is for saying this?? ..You should see two streams coming from the bottom of the housing.. I think you may basing this on Ford or Ferguson sediment bowls that have the level reserve system. Those have two levels of inlet in the tank. The shut off valve has to be open all the way on those to allow the lower level outlet to open. Not sure if that is clear. A stock Farmall sediment bowl base or shut off should flow fuel out of the center and then when the bowl is filled fuel is strained through the screen in the top of the sediment bowl and then to the outlet connection for the fuel line. Hopefully this one with a somewhat okay picture will link.
Example sediment bowl

To sparky I am try to determine if you are talking about the flow in the sediment bowl stops or the engine is running and stops. Fuel flow inside the sediment bowl can stop if the float needle in the carb closes because the fuel is at the proper level in the carb. This is caused by an air lock. The air will eventually work its way out as the float needle opens when gas is used by the engine. I will add the most important place to check fuel flow is out of the drain on the carb. The gas has to get inside the carb to be used in the engine. Also for your information the fitting that screws into the carb where the fuel line attaches has a fine screen. You may want to pull it out and clean it. See link for an example.
Example carb fitting screen

My M outlet within the sediment bowl is like 13fx is talking about. And not an assembly like in your link.

Fuel goes downward from shut off valve, and then hits a straight down dead end from going straight on down. At that straight shot downward dead end, there is two holes going outward in opposite directions. If no clogs, fuel will go out holes on both sides and forming two streams (one out each hole). Some times there might be an air bubble involved, and there will be a steam out one side, and perhaps just a dribble out the other from interference of the air bubble. But it's common to see the two streams even though this can only be watched for a short time until the glass bowl is full (if assembled).

Anyways, I know what he's talking about.

You either got an air lock due to the carb float needle being closed, or you got cloggage above the sediment bowl fuel shut off valve.

If its the first that I mentioned, you just simply need to start tractor up until the carb float needle opens, and fuel will start flowing again, and the air will disappear out of the sediment bowl.
If it's the second thing, you will need to un-screw sediment bowl assembly and remove it from bottom of tank, and clean out that cloggage in the valve and upward piping.

Been there and done that several times on my M (cleaning out the cloggage). Seems I have a problem with bugs or bug related debree. Probably from exposed necks of gas cans. What's inside the neck of a gas can, ends up in your gas tank when you put the gas in your tractor. And then it ends up in your gas tank outlet.

(quoted from post at 06:44:01 06/13/23) To sparky I am try to determine if you are talking about the flow in the sediment bowl stops or the engine is running and stops. Fuel flow inside the sediment bowl can stop if the float needle in the carb closes because the fuel is at the proper level in the carb. This is caused by an air lock. The air will eventually work its way out as the float needle opens when gas is used by the engine. I will add the most important place to check fuel flow is out of the drain on the carb. The gas has to get inside the carb to be used in the engine. Also for your information the fitting that screws into the carb where the fuel line attaches has a fine screen. You may want to pull it out and clean it. See link for an example.

Engine stops running, yes. I wait a min or so and engine will start, So there must not be enough gas flowing is my guess. I am headed outside to try and isolate. Already had the steel fuel line off and it is clear, Will check flow from the sediment bowel. Report a little later, thanks to all.

he is correct on saying that. that is how most sediment bowl housings are. the gas flows out of each side not just drops straight down. these plug up easier.

My first reply directly under 13fx re-post
(if using classic), was suppose to be a
reply to your main post. I'm sorry for the
mix up when I posted it, and didn't get it
put in the right place.

Anyways, I have a feeling that it got read
by you anyways, but your problem sounds
like the second part I was talking about
there.

I might not have IH sediment bowls, but it looks like what you showing the pic. When I have my bowl off the stream from the outflow splits and flows out and down 180. From each other. That little brass bat in the middle of the pic you posted looks like it will split the stream just like I'm describing, bit I've been wrong before.

(quoted from post at 13:02:49 06/13/23)
(quoted from post at 06:44:01 06/13/23) To sparky I am try to determine if you are talking about the flow in the sediment bowl stops or the engine is running and stops. Fuel flow inside the sediment bowl can stop if the float needle in the carb closes because the fuel is at the proper level in the carb. This is caused by an air lock. The air will eventually work its way out as the float needle opens when gas is used by the engine. I will add the most important place to check fuel flow is out of the drain on the carb. The gas has to get inside the carb to be used in the engine. Also for your information the fitting that screws into the carb where the fuel line attaches has a fine screen. You may want to pull it out and clean it. See link for an example.

Engine stops running, yes. I wait a min or so and engine will start, So there must not be enough gas flowing is my guess. I am headed outside to try and isolate. Already had the steel fuel line off and it is clear, Will check flow from the sediment bowel. Report a little later, thanks to all.

DONE: Not sure where to post this but here goes. YES, sediment bowl clogged with what appears a paint slip on the top. Holes in bowl clear, used compressed air and visually checked.

Now, its a windy day and I laid the carb screen filter down and wouldn't you know its gone. I gotta go aftermarket on retrofit with an in line filter. So I have not tried running it and wont for a day or two. Local IH dealer quoted $60.00 for replacement. Too much to me for an ole girl that works no more.....same as me

(quoted from post at 02:35:17 06/14/23) you do not need an inline filter,... they do not work well with gravity feed systems.

I will remember that, thanks. As fate would have it, I actually found my in line carb screen. Reassembled parts, no leaks, will fire it up tomorrow.

Thanks to all who posted, we are better informed.

What ever you do, don't put an inline
filter on. If you ever lose the top screen
in the sediment bowl again, it'll be
alright without it. Just run without it.
There should be another screen inside where
the fuel line goes into the carb. If it
isn't likewise gone. So there is a
secondary screen, providing that it is
there.

FWIW, I don't think I have either screen in
my M. I know I don't have the sediment bowl
one. I don't have any problems with carb.
And I burn tank fulls of gas through it,
without that screen. Worse thing that could
happen, is a jet in the carb might get
plugged up and need a cleaning.

Wow, The sediment bowl installed in my Super H first week of January 1954 is out in the box my new made in
China Case/IH sediment bowl assembly came in. The shut-off valve was leaking on the original.
But I REALLY have to disagree with the NO in-line fuel filters. If you buy the cheap molded plastic
filters then you're buying JUNK. check SUMMIT RACING on-line for a Mr.Gasket in-line gas filter. It's two
die-cast metal ends chrome plated with a molded nylon sleeve filter with holes so small they filter WATER out
of gas, and of course any dirt. The clear tube is Pyrex, o-ring seals are Viton, there's 3 sizes of hose
barbs included with the filter, I'd replace your steel gas line with VITON rubber gasoline fuel line and use
stainless steel hose clamps on the filter. I'd also get brass threaded hose barbs to thread into the carb and
sediment bowl. I've used these in-line filters for 40 years on dirt bikes, Cub Cadets, and one's been on my
Super H about 30 years. One summer I watched the one on my Cub Cadet slowly fill with water but continue to
filter gas until the water level blocked the nylon sleeve that dies the filtering. The gas goes through the
nylon sleeve, water doesn't. The Cubby died, I took the filter all apart and cleaned it, refilled gas tank
and finished mowing.
IF you have a good auto parts store they might have a Mr.GASKET IN-LINE filter, there ARE cheap imitations
on store shelves, use those at your own risk. The only thing I use a sediment bowl for is to turn the gas
on&off.

Yeah thats a nice filter, I personally use the Napa steel inline filters and I go one step further, eliminate the sediment bowl with a brass fitting and a ball valve. Works great and takes less than a minute to change filter and have never had a problem on my tractors or the dozens of customers tractors Ive changed over

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back