Farmall M serial number question

Jim R

Member
I recently purchased a Farmall M tractor. The serial number is a six digit number followed by a X1. What does the X1 mean? Thanks for any response!
 
X1 means it has a gasoline head its a good head and if its still the original X1 head and hasnt been replaced with something else you have a good head
 
Thanks for the response. I was told when I bought the tractor that it has a gas manifold, as it looks like it has been replaced recently. I don't know much else about the history of the tractor. I do have one other question though. I see a serial number on the right side of the engine block just below the cylinder head. If the block has never been replaced, should that serial number match the one on the tractor itself? Thanks again for your help!
 
I think I've heard that many of the M block serial numbers are not matching with the tag, but they do on the H's. Go by the casting codes, Example, a date code on the block that would say something like 6-21-M would mean June 21, 1943, the letter at the end of the date code is the year, compare it with other casting codes stamped on the tractor. The X1 in the serial number means that it is a Gasoline burning engine, it does not burn distillate or kerosene fuel.

Date Codes:

1939 - I
1940 - J
1941 - K
1942 - L
1943 - M
1944 - N
1945 - O
1946 - P
1947 - Q
1948 - R
1949 - S
1950 - T
1951 - W
1952 - X
 
no in all the farmall books it says there were attempts to match engine serial number to chassis number but it should be a 248 engine
 
The engine # will be lower than the tractor with a 6 digit #. One reason is as diesel engines were installed the gasoline engine numbers fell behind the tractor numbers.
If you post your numbers I may be able to tell if things match.
 
I have an International with a series number of F1066 Is this a farmall or an International and also the serial number has a * at the end of it. What does this mean??
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top