Farmall M Steering Shaft U Joint

Gents,
I have a 1950 Farmall M that needs a u joint in the steering wheel shaft. This M has the steering wheel shaft that has the fixed yoke on the steering wheel side. I do not have the bad joint which was removed already and I am having trouble getting a part number to replace it. I already tried the suggested part number which has a outside dimension of 2 5/16 It was too big. Mine would appear to need one more like 2 1/8. Has anyone run into the various sizes involved with? Could I get a part number?
Thanks
SinkholeRoad

Spicer 5X92, if I remember right, do you have any driveline shops around or heavy duty truck shops? They would have them.

Yeah forget about IHC parts on that,i took the shaft out took it to a machine shop and they put a keyway in there, it was a little extra work, but now its done right, they never figured we were going to use these tractor for 70 plus years, so they did it the easy way! Thats how i see it!

Shafts were the same size for most M and a 50 model. Outside distance measurement of cups not critical, internal retaining ring distance is. Have a SKF one from napa that is supposed to fit. UJ861, have not used it but looks to measure okay. Couldn't find box of a better one that I know works.

Taking what Matt said as being the correct Spicer number a search shows what you see in the link. Dimensions are listed, but there are two boxes with drawings right above the ..Literature.. section, they show the actual dimensions. On a phone they are hard to expand big enough to see, maybe on a PC they are easier to view. Also in the Literature section the third document shows how to measure a u-joint. Hope this helps!
U joint info

If you want to use Spicer, might hold off
till Ellis Kinney chimes in. I think he can
confirm what Matties says. I wrote it down
when he posted it but can't find it. That
sounds familiar.

(quoted from post at 15:06:34 02/04/22) Taking what Matt said as being the correct Spicer number a search shows what you see in the link. Dimensions are listed, but there are two boxes with drawings right above the ..Literature.. section, they show the actual dimensions. On a phone they are hard to expand big enough to see, maybe on a PC they are easier to view. Also in the Literature section the third document shows how to measure a u-joint. Hope this helps!
U joint info
Yes a spicer L6N 5-92X and other bearing number I posted is the same size.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back