Farmall M V8

Hey guys! I'm gathering information to someday put an IH 345 or 392 V8 into an M. This will be just for fun and show, no pulling...I just like how they look and its not something you see everyday. I like the idea of using an IH motor over something else plus I think the IH motors bolt up pretty easily if I remember correctly. Most of it seems pretty straight forward, my biggest question is how to compensate for the higher RPM of the V8 in regards to ground speed? Do you just run them at low RPM all the time or do you use a belt driven govenor or???

Lastly, I'm guessing a stronger flywheel will be needed. Do I just find an automotive one that fits or have one made at a machine shop or???

Any pictures would be appreciated too! Thank you!!!

I had a Super M, I put a 502 GM motor in it. We used the M flywheel and clutch with heavier springs. Also used a belt drive gov. set @3000rpm worked fine in the field or pulling on weekends. Used two manifolds from same upside for mufflers to be straight across and look good.
a139741.jpg

I say a Massy 44 a guy put together here with a chev 350 motor, he used another transmission ahead of the tractor one to slow it down.

Tractor kid. There is a 41 m with IH v8 for sale on western illinois craigslist right now. If you are interested my brother has two IH grain trucks he doesn't use anymore. Probably would sell one cheap. He is in central ia if you were looking for an engine. Have you seen the m v8 at the farmall museum at Avoca Iowa?

(quoted from post at 13:07:44 12/26/13) Hey guys! I'm gathering information to someday put an IH 345 or 392 V8 into an M. This will be just for fun and show, no pulling...I just like how they look and its not something you see everyday. I like the idea of using an IH motor over something else plus I think the IH motors bolt up pretty easily if I remember correctly. Most of it seems pretty straight forward, my biggest question is how to compensate for the higher RPM of the V8 in regards to ground speed? Do you just run them at low RPM all the time or do you use a belt driven govenor or???

Lastly, I'm guessing a stronger flywheel will be needed. Do I just find an automotive one that fits or have one made at a machine shop or???

Any pictures would be appreciated too! Thank you!!!

You should make a trip to Farmall Land Museum in Avoca Ia. Call first as they don't have regular hours in the winter. Spend some time talking to Jerry, he may be able to point you in the right direction.
5232998970_627851fef2_b.jpg

http://www.farmall-land-usa.com/

At one time I had an H that needed an engine, and an International pickup with a 241 CID six in it. My plan was to build an "H06" [using 706 side rails]. Following the advice of some more knowledgeable folks, I picked up a 4-speed transmission from an early Chevy LUV pickup. I then took the shifter apart, and moved the shift rail into 2nd gear position...which is right at a 2:1 gear ratio. I used a bolt with the head cut off to keep the shift rail perpetually in 2nd gear. With the 3600 rpm redline on the IH six, the LUV/Isuzu transmission would better match the speed in the gears to what the original H engine would've had at an 1800 rpm redline. I'd imagine the IH SV engines, with their suggested 4400 rpm redline, would work well in an M with a similar setup, effectively duplicating what a 2200 rpm redline would've been on the M motor.

Unfortunately, I went broke and had to sell the H and the pickup, so the project never got built.

Haven't been to the museum in Avoca yet but its on my list! Where in Central IA? Was not looking yet but I will be in need of a motor. Thanks!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back