Farmall M Water Pump

1 Dollar

Member
On my M, I took off the brass packer nut off the front of the water pump, not realizing that I didn't need to. I need to know the proper way to put it back on and not get it too tight etc.

Also, the gasket set I bought I think has new seals and gaskets for the water pump, so if somebody would be willing to walk me through that procedure, that would also be appreciated.

Thanks
H&B Tractor Co. project site
 
Some pic here from my H pump.

It is not to bad of a job, a good seal puller makes it easier to get the seals out. The packing nut and the the shaft nut will have to be removed, then press or tap the shaft out will a soft mallet.

You will then see both sides where the seals are. check over the bearings also, they are not that expensive.

I gutted mine completely and cleaned out all the old grease. There is also a felt seal that goes on the bottom.

On both my impeller shafts the thrust washer was missing or worn off.

Once you get into it, there is not much to it.

This is my experience for a first timer myself so this is not necessarily by the book.

Randy
 
Is there a spot on the water pump you are suppose to grease? The water pump on my H makes some noise, so I thought the pump was going, maybe it just needs some lube. You know how that goes to busy to look at it. Just saw your post. Thanks Jay
 
There are 2 places on the H water pump that need grease. The one toward the front is for the bearings, the one in the rear is for the impeller shaft.

Too much grease on the the back one will let grease into your cooling system.

Randy
 
The only way you can get grease into the coolant is if the impeller isn"t drawn up tight enough and have both mating surfaces running true. You don"t need a puller for the oil seals you just knock them out each end with a hammer and a punch with the bearings unless you aren"t replacing the bearings for some reason.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top