farmall model AV

buzz36

Member
guys any info of one of these unit would be great wieght? road gear? value/ runiing and usable but that about it?
wide front unit witch is nice
 
The AV is the hi clearence model of the A. Some say the V is for Vegetable. Around 20 HP and weighing about 2600 pounds. Does have a road gear. Less than 10 MPH. Easy on fuel. If it is a straight A it has no hydraulics from factory. The Supers do. DO NOT let the wide front end fool you. These tractors are offset and will flip over a lot easier than any tricycle tractor. Primarily a cultivating tractor.
 
Due to the larger rear tires, the Super AV is faster than the regular Super A. I estimate that the Super AV is about 18 mph in 4th at full throttle. The lugging power is reduced by the larger tires. Pulling heavy loads at slow speed does not work well with the Super AV. And they will tip over easily.
 
I have no experience with the non-hydraulic A Farmalls. Nebraska did show 10 mph for the regular A high gear test. I suspected that the Super A was a bit faster, but maybe not. The 100 was 10.05 and the 140, which I have, was almost 13 mph. So now I doubt that the tires gave 18 mph speed, but the Super AV that I used back in the 1950's would beat a Ferguson TO-20 that I also used.
 
The only one I ever ran at all was a 140 Hi Clearence with 36 inch rubber, and a bad governor. It would out run my M.
 
I never flipped any over, but have seen 6 or 7 of them that have been. Also seen several regular A/100/130/140 and Cubs that have been turned over. That is really not the issue. The fact is they will flip over easier than any other Farmall. All you have to do is look at them and it is easy to see. I pay very close attention to what is going on and have never turned any over. I have fixed several that have been. My son did turn the 666 over 2 years ago.
 
We had a New Holland string-tie baler with it's own two-cylinder Wisconsin engine. On one occasion, the baler was being pulled by the Super AV so that the wagons could be pulled by the other tractors. Raked with the Ferguson TO-20, another driver started baling with the Farmall AV and then hooked the Ferguson to a trailer for bale pickup. The shortest route back to the shed was a washed out (horse) wagon road. The AV tipped to the side until the top of the left tire rested against the bank and the right tire was in the air, about a 45 deg angle. No injuries nor equipment damage. Pulled the baler and the AV out backward. They tip easily!
 
CLoser to 13-14 mph. Guy Fay's book says 13.25, he does not give the width of the 36 inch tires, which will affect speed slightly. I might go thorough several pairs of shorts at 18 mph.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top