Farmall regular questions

Fiddleman1

New User
Hello all. I rescued a 1929 regular from an old junk yard. it was there for probably 40 years or more , so it has some issues, one being the engine is stuck of course , but not only that , the plugs snapped off in the head when I tried to remove them to squirt penetrant down the cylinders . Also , the head stud nuts are so rusted , they are unrecognizable. So , first off, what is a penetrant that REALLY WORKS ? I have struggled with rusty stuff for years, and I have tried lots of sprays, but seemed to have the best luck with Gibbs, but I'm out, and it's expensive. before I buy more, I wanted to get some opinions. Next, is there another engine block that would interchange with this one, such as an F-20, or 10-20 ? I know I have a 10-20 engine around. I would like to keep the original type manifold configuration though. Thanks for reading !

well if its that bad, dont even both to try and open it up. look for a parts tractor.

Air chisel the head nuts in one spot till they crack. Easy and saves what thread is remaining. Before getting too far into the engine pour water in and see if it stays. If not, stop all engine related effort. Jim

It is ..my opinion.. that when the molecular bond of rust becomes this severe no penetrating oil with get in there.
The only hope you have is to someway cause a microscopic movement of the joint between the two parts.
This can usually only be done by slightly deforming one part or another either by hammer blows, an air chisel on by utilizing heat from a torch. Once the most minimal movement has occurred the it is a possibility the penetrating oil can soak in to do some good or at least help some with disassembly As far as this particular machine, unless it is a family heirloom and you insist on having as many original parts on the tractor as possible, I really think you are going down a road where much self inflicted pain resides, find a different engine for it. Or look for a different tractor and keep this one as a parts machine.

The first thing I would do is look in the Crank case through the openings and try to see if the main bearing are rusted solid also. If oily & Clean fine but if I heard they are ball bearings and if they are rusted solid & shot I would give up and find a better engine.
I was looking for parts for a real bad tractor and before I knew it I had 3 more tractors sitting around with free & clean engines????Cleddy
cvphoto94085.jpg

A 1020 is a bigger engine(283 CI),F20 is a 221. An F20 is the closest match. As said,try ti crack/break the nuts.Also apply a bit of heat to the nuts(not much!),and then melt a candle into the threads. It helps.Plan on getting another engine. that one is going to need a lot of donor parts.

I use acetone and automatic transmission fluid mix for penetrating oil. Sometimes I use ATF straight too, and pb blaster when handy. Wire brushing threads help some too. But nothing beats a torch and patience.

Old farmalls bolts and nuts come apart good for as long as they have been sitting But! it take time, soak them and wait days weeks may be.
A small plumbers torch works good for just heating nuts and they will come off when they cool. rusty bolt and nuts take lots of patients.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back