Farmall Super A on Craigslist

Mark

I was telling folks a day or so ago that SA's-140's can be had here in KY, straight off the farm with cultivators and side dressers for $1800 or less.....well, here's proof positive that I'm not a lyin' SOB. Now....all you folks that seem to think these tractors are worth $3500...you can spend a couple hundred on gas and drive in and buy this one and run home and tell everybody in your neighborhood how you stole this machine from an ignorant hillbilly.

http://lexington.craigslist.org/grd/965618726.htmlhttp://lexington.craigslist.org/grd/965618726.html

First I have heard on this issue, guess I should pay more attention. I routinely see Super A's in the $1,800 range and wouldn't consider paying $3,500 for one. Maybe those pricey ones are restored? Actually, I am waiting for the right one to come along...or maybe a Super C. Need a project to post on this board again.

Mark: There is a huge difference between a top of the line Super A and a bottom of the line Super A. Attachments and implements make a big difference. In my travels, I've seen $500. Super A tractors and I've seen $5,000. Super A tractors. And yes I've seen everything in between.

Thank you but I'll judge for myself and it wont be any damn photo on Craig's list, or anyone else's list. I see the actual tractor, I drive it, and anyone not wanting to go along with that, will be offered $500. by this old bird.

Now this wasn't meant to start a pissing contest.

It's just that these little cultivating tractors are available for so much less than what many seem to think they are worth.

There never has been any such thing as a $5,000 Super A....not in 1952 and absolutely not in 2008.

Anybody that thinks they are going to find a working tractor dressed in church clothes has smoked too many joints. But if the owner advertises it as a decent machine, tells the good, bad, and the ugly and gives his phone number, you can pretty well expect it to be close to fact. Of course, there are some folks you could give a Maple Leaf to and they'd hack it in half just to make sure it wasn't a slug.

The real bargain on the Lexington list is the 450 for 2000. Guess we'd better quit hawking ebay and start hawking the Kentucky Craig's.
Mark can start a hauling business. How about it mark? Bring that 450 up to SD I'll give a a free pheasant and deer hunt. And a weeks's vacation in winter wonderland. 3 Hots and a cot to boot.

Gordo

By god and all that is good and pure, that is the best offer I have had in 25 years Gordo! The little 20 gauge Citori hasn't shot at a bird in way too many years.

Just got to get 3 axles back under the gooseneck first...hehe!

Mark: I turned down $5,000. for my Super A. I was at an auction, few years back, saw two guys run a Super A up to $5,250. There you have it 4 guys that thought Super A were worth $5,000.

Anyone selling a tractor is a salesman, and the only bigger liar than a salesman is a sport fisherman.

I'll even sweeten the pot. You can shoot my little 20 Gauge Browning Superposed Lightning,RKLT, Made in Belgium, purchased in Belgium by me in 1965. RUnning 3 inch copper federal premiums through it I've smoked at least 1500 pheasants and that many ducks and geese with it. Went over to the dark side recently with a 6lb Benelli Legacy 3 inch 20. Pretty deadly but I miss the variable choke option, mod/full or full/mod depending on if they are going or coming:)
Close friend died recently and his widow returned a Belgium made 3 inch 20 ga A-5 I gave him 20 years ago. That one is kind of looking for a home.

Gordo

Gordo,

Several years ago..like 15 or so, a man I worked with offered to sell me his 12 Gauge Superposed that he had bought new in "58. I regret passing on it.

I gave the eldest son a 12 gauge Citori that I had had tubed and also gave him a nice lite 12 and I sold the lite 20 that matched it. I"ve got granddads old Model 12 cyl. bore bird gun in the safe. That thing hasn"t killed a bird in over 50 years. Back in those days, we had plenty of quail to hunt.

Thirty something years ago when I first started running trains north into Columbus, Ohio, the rail yard up there was overrun with pheasants.....I mean they were worse than starlings! Then, about 15 years ago....they just disappeared. I have no idea what happened to them. I know they ate the spilled grain from the trains..like pigeons. The grain trains still run as usual....but the birds are extinct. Weird!

My hunting days are pretty much over, a bum knee just won"t take it any more.

Place and condition goes along with asking price. Ive been in your neck of the woods and have seen some nice stuff and also some way over priced stuff. You are correct that there are some worth the money.

gene: Add to this there are a few very low hour 60 year old tractors that command a higher price in 2008 than when new. My Super A and 140 are like that, doubt if SA has seen 1,500 hours yet and 140 about 700. You restore something like that and sharp minds will see the value.

Just an example not unusual to see fully restored low hour SMTA go for $8,000. three times what they cost new. An acquaintence of mine and a collector with a 100 restored letter series Farmalls, jokingly put $8,000. on such a Super A, a guy in the croud got out his check book, tractor sold. Couple years back there was a 656 diesel in photo adds with 523 hours. It sold for $27,000. I know, I went to see it and was too late, gone.

You hit on a very good point Hugh. I personally put more value on a good ,original, low houred machine than a well used one with a restoration.I bought a 1958 Farmall 240 in 2003 from original owners son that had 525 hours on a working tach and I surely believed the hours when I saw the tractor and heard the story.It sat unsold at a dealership until dealer went out of business in 1970.The son said his dad was VP of a large baking company and for next 30 years it did nothing but push snow with a ,get this, 2001 loader. Loader way too big for that little tractor. Also plowed,cultivated his garden with it but that was it. It still had the round guard around the PTO that came from factory,so I assume was never used.Original tires, silver fabric seat like new yet and even battery cover which you hardly ever see on 240`s,everything nice and tight. I bought for $3850 tractor,2001 loader,#259 2 pt. cultivator (also like new) and tire chains. Took loader off immediately and took tractor to a Red Power show in Iowa. A guy at the show from Texas offered me $6500 for it.Probably shoulda taken it ,but just couldn`t. Friend of mine thought I was nuts,but I told him you just don`t find them like that.

Now that's just mean!!! Ya'know that every time I mention that crawler everyone on this forum runs for cover! If I want to ask even a generic engine question I have to tell em it's in an MD or all I hear is crickets! Really though, I hit a major stumble on this 2N past summer as well as some kid related livestock projects. Darn 2N WILL NOT FIRE UP no matter what I do to the fool thing. "N" board guys are a little more stuffy than the folks here but they DO try. Never even got to the TD6 so I figure I will load it on a trailer and bring it out to lobster-fest next summer and you can get it running while I am at lunch! All kidding aside, the 2N WILL run next summer but it will have to wait because someone actually gave me an old wood boat with motor which I am dying to plow some furrows thru Lake Michigan with. Finally finished those web pages you sent me way back and enjoyed them a lot. Went over and perused Fawteens link also. Have a Merry Christmas....get cooking, the family is awaitin! They make wood boats in Maine, don't they???

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back