Fast hitch Plow?

TimWafer

https://youtu.be/P8yeNojDro8

I have the 214 roll over plow you can see in the video link above. It is being pulled with my 656 Hydro.
I recently acquired a 706 with a fasthitch I want to pull it with instead. I have some 3 point conversion prongs I planned on using along with a top link.
However I was just pondering the possibility of converting the plow to a fast hitch hookup. I know they were made that way. What are the advantages or disadvantages in a fast hitch plow vs 3-point other that the obvious hookup procedure?

Hi,well i am no expert on hitchs', but the only advantage to a two point, as i see it,would be ease of hook-up! I do own a 3x16, 2point hitch,The only time i use it is at plow day,works good, leaves a sharp straight furrow1

Three point adapter prongs in a fast hitch
is usually the way to go. The top link
mount is easily obtained from a junkyard
donor with 3 point. The downside is the
operation angles. An adapted fast hitch
may not lift high enough. A more offset
adapter tong may help but then you might
lose the needed depth. It may work just
fine for you, though. Tongs and top link
parts are cheap enough to try easily. To
change a fast hitch to 3 point requires a
donor tractor and all its parts. There are
lots of pieces to make it work correctly.
I believe you need to change the torsion
bar through the center housing. I don't
remember that detail clearly. At this
point any internal wear points in the lift
housing should be inspected and renewed so
all adjustments can be correct.

Good luck.

Karl f

I have owned a 314(3x14) for over 40 years. Yes you can put adapters on the tractor and pull a 3 bottom. It will work fine. Not perfect,but adequet.Best bet is to find a set of prongs for the
plow,or convert the tractor to 3 point.However,you should 'reclock' the rockshaft arms to the rockshaft. It will be marked 2 point ot three point with coresponding arrowsJus remove the 5/8 bolt
and large washer from the end of rockshaft. Simply slide the arm off and slide it backon at the right place with arrows lineing up.Both my plow and 706 were fast hitch when I purchaced them 40
years ago. I have since converted both to three point.I still have the prongs and would probably sell them.Besides ease of hookup,a fast hitch plow acctually pulls easier than a three point. The
point of pull is under and in front of the axle. takes less wts on the rear too. I just last week bought a 314(2x16) for parts. It has a set of prongs on it that are not needed.Your 706 will just
play with a 2 bottom. You need to find a 3 bottom.BTW,my 706 and 314 plow were purchaced new together in 1967 in Loveland Colorado.I am the 3rd owner of them. When I am done,they will eventually
be sold together as I wont break up the pair.Call if you want to talk more. (970)417-1178.IMHO,an IH plow is the best there is. Steve

Steve
Are you saying you have a set of prongs to convert my plow to a fasthitch. I don't know if its just a matter of removing the 3-point hitch currently on the plow and replacing it with them or if the frame is somehow different?
Also where are you located and if they are for sale do you have a price in mind?
Im sure the 2 bottom 16" plow wont tax the 706 any great deal but my ground is constant rolling hills and heavy clay. The 656 was a good match for it. I wish I had some level ground but no such luck here.

Thanks
Tim Wafer

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back