Favorite Christmas Song?

Dave H (MI)

It's that time of year again. When I was a kid I started recording Christmas songs off the radio. Later I had the ability to edit these on tapes. Later still I transferred them to CD and then onto iTunes. Every year I add more from selections I find on CD's and other sources. The playlist has 521 songs as of today and plays 26 hours before it repeats a selection. I am always looking for new ones and in past years have added songs suggested here. So what are your favorite Christmas songs?

And lest I forget, Merry Christmas all.

I like or at least don't mind just about any Christmas song, BUT I do have a list of ones I CAN'T STAND. Springsteen's live version of Santa Clause is Coming to Town and Taylor Swift's Last Christmas and pretty much anyone singing Little Drummer Boy. A few other ones that I can't think of, but I hafta change the station. I'm partial to the hymn type songs we sang in church. Joy to the World, Silent Night, What Child is This, Little Town of Bethlehem, We 3 Kings and the like. Merry Christmas!

Oh! Porky Pig singing Blue Christmas!!!!! First time I heard it, I had to pull over I was laughing so hard.

I have a few- Blue Christmas by Ernest Tubb, TheChristmas Guest by Grandpa Jones, Christmas times a coming by Bill Monroe, Holly Jolly Christmas by Burl Ives and favorite Christmas hymn -Silent Night.

I like that one a lot and it was a beautiful video...thanks for sharing. It is under consideration. Carpenters I already have...no surprise there. :)

You surprised me with that one. I am a huge Ray Charles fan. In my house you fell asleep listening to his C&W stuff. His entire Christmas album is in the list.

OK...that's a good one! But I just can't see it playing in the background while we are eating Christmas dinner. Have to hear it at least once a season though. :)

I have my favorites from Dolly. I really like her version of Baby it's Cold Outside with Rod Stewart. I made a note to look at Reba. Nothing by her in the list.

Well Steve...

That is just a really pretty song. Plays guitar better than she sings but if you pay attention, she's no slouch on vocals. I liked it a lot, thanks.

I never heard a bad version of Ave Maria. One of the most beautiful songs ever written. Look for a woman by the name of Mirusia on YouTube. She sings a mean Ave Maria. Someone right here recommended it last year and I put it on the list. :)

Hymns: Silent Night (at the candlelight service)

Two by the Statler Brothers
For Momma
Christmas to Me

Also like some of the silly Christmas songs.

I have always loved Stan Kentons's Christmas album. First heard it in the early 70's. Wasn't able to find it til about 7 years ago. Jazz style.

First one is relatively new...."Two Step Round The Christmas Tree" by Suzy Bogguss / Ole traditionals..."Blue Christmas" video with Elvis and Martina Mc Bride singing together on stage together through modern hi tech video engineering.

An old Christmas card and Blue Christmas by Jim Reeves. Also Rudolf the rednosed reindeer and Here comes Santa Claus by Gene Autry.

Old Christmas Card I am going to have to listen to. The rest are in the list, winners all. Couple of people recommended OCC so I will look that one up.

Silent Night is one of the most beautiful of songs. Stille Nacht versions also. Have you ever heard any of the old instrumentals RCA put together by Living Strings? You might like them.

I bet that last one is good. Have only heard the Elvis solo. Martina's entire CD is already on the list as it is great. I like the Bogguss song but country that is not mainstream comes across pretty harsh when mixed with the more secular stuff so I don't put it on the list. McBride and Alan Jackson are good. If it gets too honky tonk people ask me to turn it down. BTDT.

Santa Claus is coming to town, Up on the house top, I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus, all by the Jackson 5. Jingle bells, by Booker T & the MGs. Run run Rudolph, Chuck Berry. Santa bring my baby back to me, Elvis. Feliz Navidad. I could go on...

Favorites--
"O Holy Night";
"Gloria" by Michael W. Smith;
"Christmas Canon Rock" by Trans-Siberian Orchestra;
Most anything by Mannheim Steamroller.

Least favorites--
"Little Drummer Boy"
"Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer"

It's not a Christmas song but The Blizzard by Jim Reeves sure makes me think of what the old days might have been. And around this time of year is my favorite time to listen to it. Middle of summer in 200% humidity is my other favorite time to listen to it. Sorry for not contributing, I just can't think of any off the top of my head.

How about snoopy and the red baron..Christmas bells I believe is the actual title. How about God rest ye merry gentleman by barenaked ladies and Sarah mclachlan

I also enjoy the German version of Silent Night. I have it on a record that was played every year when I was a child.

Christmas time back home it's bluegrass by Charlie Waller and the country gentlemen you can find it on you tube.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back