If your interested....favorite Christmas song?

Dave H (MI)

...I can use your help. Tell me your favorite Christmas song? Name of song and artist. I have a lifelong collection of Christmas songs which several years ago I combined into an itunes playlist. I started the collection when I was just a kid by recording songs off WJOI - Beautiful Sounds of Christmas each year and editing the tapes. Currently, there are 448 songs and it plays 23 hours and 13 minutes. I would REALLY like to take it over 24 hours this year. I just added Ave Maria by Mirusia as posted by John T below. Anyone else have suggestions? I will let you know if I add the song and list you as the source in the collection.

Just if you have the time and interest. :)

Christmas Bride by Ray Coniff. I've always loved "Do You Hear What I Hear" also by I think Perry Como. Only works with a powerful male singer.

I grew up listening to my Mother stack her automatic turn table with Bing Crosby and Dean Martin holiday songs.

She also had Disney records that my younger brothers and sisters got to listen to. They where the Disney movies narrated. The 101 Dalmatians was a favorite for them and also my younger children too.

i have two favorites that i listen to each year . first is Christmas as i knew it by Johnny Cash and The Christmas Guest by Grandpa Jones. both for me are the true meaning of Christmas

Little drummer boy by whiteheart. Also Chris Tomlin O Holy Night. The whole Chris Tomlin Christmas album is awesome. We listen to it at least once a week year round.

Silent Night. My mother would play all the old hymns on the piano. She has been gone 18 yrs. this month. Just shed a few tears. Steve

Perry Como has been on the list for many a year, as you might expect BUT we have a winner in the other song. I am a fan of Ray Conniff (singers) and the Christmas Bride song is a beauty. Never heard it before. I will search my disc collection and Itunes and see can I find it.

Well I have to agree, not strictly speaking a Christmas song but the video no YouTube is pretty darn good. I am going to have to give that one some thought, mostly because there is a half minute or so toward the end that gets maybe a little too powerful for the list. Really nice though!

I'm going to put those on the back burner until I can listen to more of them. Definitely potential there. Thanks!

That is a great song. And, of course, been on the list for years. What kind of list would it be if it wasn't? Thanks!

Bing has a few on the list. Almost the entire Dean Martin album is on there also. I had to restrain myself and cull a few out a while back. I like the old stuff too.

My three favorites:

"<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDc2FD-vy8M">Gaudete</a>" by Steeleye Span

"<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P37xPiRz1sg">Merry Christmas from the Family</a>" by Robert Earl Keene

"<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJi41RWaTCs">Christmas in the Trenchs</a>" by John McCutcheon

I've heard the last one performed live several times, and it never fails to bring the audience to tears.

OK then, we have another winner! White Heart was very good, Chris Tomlin was outstanding on O Holy Night. So thinking I will try to sneak on Itunes and preview the entire CD and see how many I can pull in off that. Good one!

I know those and have them. Not on the playlist because they are narratives and don't work for dinner/party music but both are excellent.

Not sure how that will fit in with the rest of the list. I listened to the whole thing and, I will be honest with you...I am not a bluegrass guy and almost turned it off in the first half minute. More I listened to it, the more it started to grow on me. Talented people. Very rustic music and singing. I will have to give it some thought. Thanks!

OK Greg...don't get mad at me! There is an example of a type of song you either love or you don't. Like the one about the soldier and sleeping on the floor, etc. I just don't see the appeal. Hugely popular though. They get a lot of play on the radio. I think I will be in the minority on this but...

Don't know Noelle, kinda sweet. I have Little Drummer Boy by Pentatonix and I run hot and cold on it. The Mary Did You Know version on the list is Rogers/Judd and hard to beat. But I have room for many versions of the same song. I'll keep the Pentatonix one on the back burner. Good recommendation, thanks!

Coshoo, you picked the one I was going to!

Pentatonix is an amazing group! They use NO instruments!

Everything you hear comes just from them, the black guy does all the sound effects of various instruments!

Dave we have forgotten the "King". Like or hate his songs he had a voice that was God given. Many of his Christmas songs and gospel songs are stirring/moving.

My wife just walked up to the office door with her hands on her hips and shaking her head NO. Don't know what her problem is...I enjoyed it!!!

My favorite is Good King Wensaslas performed by Percy Faith and his Orchestra. Love orchestra Christmas music. Still have the 1966 record album that song is on.
Merry Christmas and God bless!

Well, you and me both. It's been most of 30 years since I have looked at Mom's face. I was still in my 20's when she passed. Christmas was a HUGE deal with her. I try to keep the tradition alive. You did not mention a particular artist but the song you mentioned is a great one. I have 22 versions of it in the list currently. Here is one in memory of our mom's. Merry Christmas and God bless!
Silent Night

How in the heck have I missed that one all these years!? I remember it from the radio when I was a kid. So you got yourself a winner there...adding it to the playlist. Probably the PPM version, but only because it is the one I remember. Thanks!

This isn't my favorite, just something different, probably never hear it on the radio...

Just a view point from those less fortunate.

Mary Gauthier (pronounced go-shay) is an amazing song writer! Seen her live a few times, not a dry eye in the audience!
Christmas In Paradise

Oh, Holy Night is a favorite! Josh Groban sings it well, as does Michael Buble'. Some Christmas music gets me in a low funk, as it brings back memories of people we lost at Christmas time.

My all time favorite Christmas song is "O Holy Night". One year I listened to 7 or 8 different versions on YouTube and put links to all of them in an email, then sent it to all my friends at Christmas.
This year I sent them "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" and "Pachelbel's Canon".
Currently listening to Manheim Steamroller as I type this.

Not as sad as "Christmas in the Trenches", but I've been liking Corb Lund's "Just Me And These Ponies (For Christmas This Year)"

Trying that again: <a href="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DirFLxROqSU">Corb Lund - Just Me And These Ponies (For Christmas This Year)</a>

I have several true Christmas songs that I like. It would be hard to pick a favorite but "Silent Night" is always up there. I would give anything to hear my Dad sing "O Holy Night" one more time in his deep baritone voice.

IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE:

Silent Night
by The Statler Brothers
from any album

Christmas to Me
by The Statler Brothers
on the 20th Century Masters: The Best of The Statler Brothers

Happy Christmas (War is Over)
by Jimmy Buffett
on the Christmas Island album

AND ON THE FUN & SILLY SIDE:
Rusty Chevrolet
by The Deer Hunters
on the Deer Camp Songs album

That was going to be reply. My other picks are joy to the world and silent night. Brings back memories of our school/church program
My kids have theirs tonight so I better get in the shower.

Awww, listening to our iTunes Christmas songs and decorating (yes, I'm a procrastinator)...

Anyhoo, MUST add: "The Carols those Kids Used to Sing" by The Statler Brothers.

Dave H.,

See if you can find "For Mama" by The Statler Brothers to listen to. Not sure if it's on iTunes - we have it on a DVD.

"I'll be home for Christmas" always hits me right there but, I'm also partial to Bob and Doug Mc Kenzie's "12 days of Christmas".

Same to you, thanks! Percy Faith and his orchestra. I have the ENTIRE album on my list, including Good King Wenceslas. I love that album too.

SWEET LITTLE JESUS CHILD...WE DIDNT KNOW WHO YOU WAS...
BE BLESSED, GRATEFUL, PREPARED...CELEBRATE OUR REDEEMER...

What a great thread!

I've enjoyed listening to everyone's choices, here's mine: O Holy Night - The King's Singers and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

Merry Christmas everyone,

Larry

Yeah, I know. But there are also good memories. I have the Groban one, not sure about Buble...have to look. :)

I like that! I'll preview the whole thing later and see if it makes the grade. Always looking for something a little different than the standards...but with the same qualities.

I'll give those a listen when the dust settles! I am actually sneaking in here from the family gathering tonight. Still have to wrap the kids gifts, but movie first. Merry Christmas!

oh hh man ,, nuthin better thann a bluegrass Christmas ,. bring a blok of wood in when ya come in,.. pass that honeyham and biscuits please, ,. lokk over yonder aint that ol Lafe with a bottle comin this a'way ..

Not necessarily my favorite but I still enjoy hearing it occasionally is John Denver's Please daddy don't get drunk this Christmas.

Steven

roy orbison's version of Pretty Paper
eagle's please come home for Christmas- since the kids have moved away (they're here this year- hooray)
not really a christmas song, but appropriate for the time of year- Merle's If we make it through december

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back