Field Cultivator Value

torwood9

Member
Just curious what the value of this Glencoe Field Cultivator would be. We are looking to add to our tillage line, but don"t really want to break the bank. I know this particular model has the bars close together, which drops the value. Tines are ok. Ram included. In Central WI.

Thanks in advance
a52430.jpg
 
Two years ago woulda been very good to get $200 for something like that 'here'. Donno what it weights for today's scrap prices....

--->Paul
 
Good, tough machines, but depends on the model....if it has the double curved shank, not so tough......your pic looks like a narrow center section. First one I bought, about 1974, had a heavy single shank, was 18 foot mounted, no wings, never broke anything. If I saw a rock come up, I circled back to hit it again. A model 1850. Yeah, the Glencoe chisel I bought in 1980 was a Model Giant C....still have it....works great for tearing out old fencelines and rocks! Did "straighten" one shank going after rocks- only break was when I got lazy and backed up to hit a rock again......chisel shanks do NOT take any backward stress! Just nicked that sucker with the chisel in the air. I don"t know about rank spacing in their FC, but I do know that they changed rank spacing in their disc chisels...so later models clear trash better. Another thing on the Glencoe field cultivators- they use "nominal spacing"- ie, others say their shanks are 6 inches apart....but they might mean center to center, while Glencoe measures from each side of the shank that holds the shovel. ie- they run fewer shovels on the same width machine. Trying to do the math since 3+ decades of owning one.....18 foot digger does not have 36 shovels, it"s more like 33? But yeah, if it"s an 1850, single leaf shank...........super tough!
 
Got a 25 footer sitting in the fence row; it's got gauge wheels on the wings, but I don't know the model number. I drug it over a LOT of acres, way back when. As paul says, they're worth whatever scrap iron is bringing.....around here.
 
An 18 foot Glencoe went for $500 recently at an auction near me . . . . guy who bought it wanted it for vegetable ground that won't have much trash to worry about, but he was fighting off a scrapper during the bidding. I have a 13 foot that I paid $350 for . . . had to fight off a scrapper or two.
 
About $200 is the most I would ever think of. Not much good anymore and they usually scrap out unless they are a name brand collectible. I wouldn't bother with it. You'd be better off with a disk and a regular chisel plow. We call those field rakes around here because they plain and simple don't work in trash.
 
Ripley, TN; no pictures; my recollection (I last used it in 2000 or 2001) is that it's missing the guts out of one of the wing cylinders, though I MAY have the parts to fix it. It's also got a Hiniker harrow on the back.
 
Well, probably scrap value, but, what is it really worth to you?
I have one, and it's a valuable impliment in my operation. Use it for leveling rough plowing/disking on ground destined for grain crop and hay seeding.
 
Big change in FC technology over the years, especially in rank distance. Older ones had their ranks close together, would not handle trash even at low speed. Trash needs time and distance to flow through. Current ones can handle trash beyond a bean combine, as the main tillage- getting very popular here...no moldboard or chisel, just a FC...covers twice the width of a chisel. FC is hands down, the most popular secondary tillage tool in the corn belt. Discs pack, leave ridges, maintenance is higher. Only thing they are good at is cutting sod after plowing, and an extra trip with a FC accomplishes almost the same thing.
 
I know somebody that knocked the frames of two old IH 45 12 footers together to space out the shanks front to rear more. Handles residue a lot better and was done cheap compared to buying a newer cultivator. If I ever come across another Glencoe . . . .
 
Its whatever you want to offer for it. Its scrap to most everyone. last one similar to that unit in my area couldn't get bid. i guess it was even offday for the scrap guys.
 
$600. Saw one similar go at auction this summer for $800, and a smaller Ford bring $700, this spring. If the shanks are good, offer $500. It does not take long to rack up a big repair bill on junk.

I myself have a 14" Glencoe Giant that I use alot. Works well on a lightly ballasted 60 HP tractor. Does not work well with heavy trash, just like everyone else had stated. A new ram is $70 at fleet Farm.

Best of luck.
 
Thanks guys. Kind of what I figured. The guy is asking $600, and it has been for sale for months. Might still go take a look at it. Never know if he'll come down on price.
 
A few years ago I gave about $200-225 for an 18' Oliver field cultivator, which is the exact same thing as the Glencoe. We already had 3 Glencoes, but not as wide. Put 7" shovels on it and it works great for us behind our Oliver 1855, but we don't have trash from combining crops to deal with, and we usually moldboard plow so any trash we do have gets buried.

We use it behind the plow in spring plowed sod, as well as fall plowed corn. Get great results in fall plowing, and for sod it depends on the ground and the year. It's got a hitch on it to pull a drag, so we've got a 24' drag on a cart we pull behind it. Levels the feild nicely for planting hay.

Donovan from Wisconsin
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top