Finally in the field

jon f mn

Last month we had some nice weather and it looked like an early spring. But it's been raining and snowing since. Not a lot of water, but enough so it doesn't dry and cold too. Snowed enough to turn the grass white Friday night and Saturday morning, and had some flurries again this afternoon. Between that I got my oats planted. My grandson Randell came over and helped. He drove the 1030 with the disc on. First the heavy disc.

cvphoto86277.jpg

cvphoto86278.jpg

That disc has 24blades and it is heavy! And the 1030 knows it's back there. Went over it twice with that then again with the light disc.

cvphoto86279.jpg

The 1030 hardly knows that 14' disc is back there. Worked up the corn ground pretty decent. Used the 400 on the grain drill.

cvphoto86285.jpg

I did manage to break the carb on my dc. Had to take it apart to change the needle and seat and then it leaked at the elbow where the gas goes in. When I tried to remove the elbow the casting just broke off. So I ended up building it up with braze and then drilled and tapped it. Seems to work fine now.

cvphoto86287.jpg

I put the cattle outside for the summer yesterday. They sure liked that!

cvphoto86293.jpg

cvphoto86295.jpg

cvphoto86301.jpg

I just picked up the two larger Holstein heifers a few weeks ago. They came from a farm that wasn't feeding them and were extremely thin. I really didn't think the one that was milking would make it, she looked terrible. Took a week for them to start eating good, but they are doing well now. One is just breeding age and the other is a first calf cow. Looks like they will fatten up nicely now.
I loaded four more hogs to go to the butcher this afternoon too, that leaves only one left to go next month. Did well on this batch of hogs and the four steers that sold last month.

Looks like rain for a couple days then nice again. Hope to start planting corn next weekend.

By the amoumt of corn stalks to get rid of, you must have had a good corn crop last fall. I still have that Case digger. Don

Corn was pretty good there, but this is my first year on this ground. It belonged to my friend Jeff who passed away last fall. I'm renting it from his widow. I want to make a trip out there after planting for the digger.

Started out with a heavy disc similar to yours but it didn't do the job, so hooked up a plow and it buried the stalks really well. Maybe the one two chop of your discs was the answer. Enjoyed the pictures.

About 80 total. Will have 40 corn, 12 oats and near 30 hay. Will likely plow more of that hay down next year as I don't need that much, unless it sells well.

I already have one lined up in Wisconsin, otherwise I would make a deal. That's just about the right size.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back