Finger Update on JD 1240 planter

pmarkel

I am performing maintenance on a planter that I picked up at a sale last fall. I noticed that Deere once furnished an update kit for the finger mechanism but no longer carries it. What was included in this kit? Fingers and springs? Or the finger holder as well? And how would I know if my fingers have been updated just by looking at them? I also need the right row marker but I assume I can have this fabricated. Since some of the parts to the mechanical marker lift appear to be missing I thought I would just revert to a rope lift setup. Has anyone else tried this? Thanks for the input.

Pete

Thought it was an earlier design, same idea, but different parts in the 1240? We almost bought a 1240 dad hadn't looked at it, it sold very cheap around 1980, probably a little before.

Took me a number of years to find a 7000 that followed me home finally.

Paul

pm,
Sir, I am not being a smart alleck or anything, but that 1240 was Deere's first attempt at a plateless planter and was a poor one. Those meters could drive a person nuts, plus were hard to clean out easily. The 7000 was a terrific replacement and many are still used wherever corn is planted. Parts for the 7000 are easily obtained. You might have to consider selling the 1240 for scrape or parts and find a good 7000.
LA in WI

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back