Which JD 7000 planter is the better bet? Driving tomorrow!

StephenM88

New User
Hello, I posted earlier seeking advice in a 1st planter for my 20 acre pumpkin patch and corn maze. I've decided on a 6r30 John Deere 7000. I've been watching auctions and Craigslist over the last couple weeks and have seen several go for $1800 - $4000. I've found these two which appear to offer the best combination of attachments/condition for the price. Any advice on which seems like the winner? I would eventually like to no-till my pumpkins each year.

2 hour drive - part of an estate sale. He said it plants 30-40 acres a year currently right into soybean stubble. Shedded but little maintenance done. Markers are plumbed into the lift cylinder. Might need 3 closing wheel bearings. Tires are fair.
https://topeka.craigslist.org/grd/d/highland-john-deere-7000-planter/6868216591.html

3 hour drive - He states no issues. Fert tanks aren't pictured but should be included. 400 acres since meters calibrated. Will sell for $2000.
https://ottumwa.craigslist.org/grd/d/kirksville-planter-jd-7000/6868042861.html

I plan to take off in the morning for one of these. If you're up and able to give any advice, I'd appreciate it!

Also, will be hauling this on a 20' rented trailer. Anything I need to be concerned about beyond removing the lids?

Thanks!

Second one (ottumwa) appears to be more of a notil planter to me. They are typically heavier and have individual hyd cylinders on the transport wheels. Will need to load either one on the trailer from the side and take the tongue off to get under width. Don't know anything about the liquid fertilizer systems except make sure the pump works good. Paul

If I remember correctly the hitch will unbolt right at the front and each half will swing back to the frame.
At least it did on the 12 row.

Six row has a different hitch, but can be unbolted near the main frame. Eight and twelve row, the hitch is hinged. Drive the planter onto the trailer, lower the hyd...will ride better down on the openers.

The conservation model is built heavier and will notill better. Be sure the main lift cylinder, the master, is working, they are $$$$$ to rehab. Wish there were better more
pics of it. Why is a jack under one end. Seems like things are being hidden I donno...

I have a regular 7000 6 row, like the other one. It works well. Lot of folk find if they throw away that big coulter on front of every row and just run the row cleaners (finger
cleaners) they get a better stand. Depends on your soil and trash you plant into, but something to consider.

Shoup is a company you want to become familiar with, they supply better, cheaper, and faster parts for a 7000 planter.

I would sure like a monitor with the planter.

Fertilizer is a good thing as well, but it has to work, not a pile of old parts......

It?s a tough call, if they were parked within 10 miles of each other.... but life is never easy.

The rock shaft one looks in better shape, but the Conservation machine would be worth more if things are equal......

Paul

Have not read your previous post, but is fertilizer a deal maker/breaker? Seems like liquid would be a giant PITA !! JMO, we run a JD 7000 Consertil with dry fertilizer.
Good luck!!

Around here (sw indiana) they notill pumpkins into wheat stubble mid to late June. Usually have the rows set about 4 or 5 feet
wide. So you may want to skip some rows for pumpkins. They do some other modifications to the 7000 units but not sure what, so
they don't plant too thick. For what you want, starter fert. is not really needed. Personally, I love to be able to use liquid
starter on my early sweetcorn. I know that the pumpkins plant better if the straw is baled off the wheat field first. I have a 4
row 36 inch model 7000 planter that I got for $1600, and I wouldn't take twice that for it. Really makes planting go smooth
compared to the older, runner-opener models.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back