Finished harvest today

jon f mn

Been a real tough fall this year. Mud everywhere in spite of a week of clear sunny and 70 degrees. Plus add in a bunch of frustrating minor breakdowns and it seemed I would never get done. But the corn is all off the field and the last load is cooling right now in the dryer.

cvphoto62325.jpg

cvphoto62327.jpg

cvphoto62330.jpg

Spent a lot of time in the mud.

cvphoto62331.jpg

cvphoto62332.jpg

Got some cleaning up to do too.

cvphoto62333.jpg

cvphoto62334.jpg

Got the combine in the shed for the winter even.

cvphoto62335.jpg

Didn't get much for working shots this year, was just too busy dealing with the mud and such. But here's one where it's not in the mud.

cvphoto62336.jpg

Supposed to rain tomorrow and Tuesday, hope not too much and I can get some plowing done. Was almost dry enough today that I think I could have done some at least, but had to get the corn out first. Really need to get this ground plowed in the fall or ext year will be a mess.

I would like to find some wider tires for it, 28L-26 or 23.1-26 would be nice. I don't like duals for combines. With singles you can most times back out of wet spots if you don't get in too far, but not so much with duals. They will carry better, but once you go down your done.

Brother-in-Law used to run the drive wheels on his combine with the treads reversed. In mud & snow the drivers would spin easily going forward, but would provide good traction while backing out of the snow bank or the mud hole. Claimed it saved his but many times. He even took time to reverse the direction when he bought a new combine.

I finished chisel plowing this evening around 9:00.

Wanted to get more pics, but it was so windy all fall can’t fly the drone, and was so busy trying to beat the weather I didn’t take many along the way.

Mostly when I broke a rib on oct1st I took myself out of most of harvest, a neighbor did most for me. I spent a couple weeks of harvest in a recliner,

Was able to combine a few of my acres after the snow melted, and wife and I got the chisel plowing done ourselves.

Long short fall. Kinda sorry to see it done, I can finally enjoy doing it again!

Nice pics, Mud gets old real fast. Wider tires really make a difference on a combine.

Paul

It is a good thing your corn is always so weedy--The foxtail helps carry the combine through the soft spots!!!

Nice of you to come back, I've missed you. You should post some pics of the crops you grew this year so I can see how it's done, nothing like a good example to teach.

Wet dirt brings out weeds, it’s a battle for me too.

I had patches of giant ragweed, was embarrassing..... was a nice spring to plant, then it started raining, or 35mph winds. The two good days to spray corn i was tied up in some renovations I couldn’t help but oversee; then the 2-6 inch rains came for the next 3 weeks and corn spraying was done, too big to spray.

And so, I got to look at ragweed over the top of my corn. Really only 10 acres was real bad - right next to the main road, of course.....

Paul

The foxtail really got away from me where the corn drowned out. I'll have to find a new spray for next year. Thinking about banding something over the rows for extra there along with broadcast, then I can cultivate too. The cultivator helped a lot this year.

We use to get rag weeds in the organic crops those rag weeds would get 6 feet tall and an inch in diameter. We would swath the grain then it would let lay for about two weeks and those things would hit the the cylinder and it sounded like a tree went through

Darn right. Nothing wrong with the cultivator. Because I custom farm those organic acres and have to hook up cultivator, I also cultivate mine too. There are no weeds resistant to cultivator. Neighbor just laughs at me and says you can't get all the weeds with cultivator. Your right, I can't but I can get a lot of them. When conditions are so that you can't spray for what ever reason, a horrible looking weedy field looks much better after you go through with cultivator. And that's not even considering the other benefits of a cultivator which we talked about before.

An excellent representation of your crop growing abilities. Glad you could share. I hope to be as good some day. By the way, how is your family? Kids and wife doing well I hope? I know your wife works hard and takes good care of you, so I hope she and your whole family is doing well. Women like that are a treasure for sure.

It doesn't look like your tow tractor driver appreciates just how much fun she is having.

Cultivator blight and erosion are some negatives, otherwise there are several positives to cultivating. My rolling clay hills in a wet environment does kinda scare me from cultivating like dad used to, 3-4 times right in the rainy wash the dirt away season.

My big issue is I don’t have a good trash clearance cultivator, the old ones I have don’t handle the chisel plowed, field cultivated once conditions I farm now.

All of which can be remedied, all it takes is more money. :)

The art of row cultivating, gotta hit the weeds before they are a problem, or they do become somewhat resistant to the cultivator the big stems bend around.... then, in our wet conditions you end up the same as spraying, can’t get through, turning around runs over so much crop, trying to get through and not making it messes up even more crop.....

Ah, the memories.

Paul

Just asking how they are, didn't think that was bad. Can't see your issue other than just general nastiness. Was just trying to be pleasant.

Well, you could get some really big tires and fill them with helium. That should float you right through. (;>))

I think we have a set of those 28L-26's here. I know there is at least 1 setting here. Tires are inside and there are tubes too. Don't know if the tubes are still good or not.

I find the wide tires will slide sideways in the mud worse than the tall tires with duals. Was talking to one of the BTO's here he said the duals let the mud go through between them so they stay straight. Where the wide tire like the 30.5-32 pushes the mud till it slides around, it or stops the combine. I do know I have backed up just a bit then rushed forward and it would sort of climb up some as it went ahead to get out of some of those spots. The 7720 will go if you can walk on it. I'm surprised at how it will go in mud. Been mudding things out of the field for the last 5 or 6 years now. Both beans and corn. Have had to let it freeze a couple times.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back