Finished picking corn yesterday.

tomstractorsandtoys

I finished filling the corn crib yesterday. Will pick one more load on the Chuck Wagon before parking it in the shed. Looks like I will be able to try out the 71 sheller next spring. Not sure if I like having a motor on the elevator or would prefer pto. When I finished it was sputtering some. I used a little over one tank of gas to fill the crib. I use non ethanol gas and added Sea Foam. Should have some combine pics soon. Tom
cvphoto61127.jpg

cvphoto61128.jpg

Nice pictures. Thanks for posting. I've never seen anyone pick into a chopper wagon. Looks like an easy way to unload

Great photos, brings back a lot of memories.
We had a PTO driven cable lift that raised the front of the wagons to tilt the wagons to the rear for unloading. Anyone still use these?

Larry

My dad had a open flight elevator like that also,i guess the poor thing rusted out,but it served us well,it was a pto driven,used a R Moline on it,so we had the convience of the hand clutch. Our's looked like that in the 60's !!

that picture off the top of the crib ought to be framed or on a calendar or something. We haven't had green here since late Sept.
We used to pick onto an Allis and a Fox unloading wagon before Dad got the gravity boxes. Wagons didn't have unloading extensions, so we used hay bales to plug the openings so corn didn't fall out.

I just showed the picture to my wife (a former photog). Her critique was "an excellent picture, different lines, great composition, mix of colors, shows action, etc etc etc"). Even better. And here I thought it was just a great picture...

We did some picking in previous years at Farmamerica near Waseca, MN. But the rodents (racoons, squirrels and rats) were causing damage so the storing in a crib has stopped. We used a flat belt driven hydraulic wagon hoist and a New Idea open flight elevator PTO driven. Fun to do in smaller amounts just to demonstrate the older equipment.

Do you have problems with rodents around your crib?

Nice photos and thanks for posting.

Yes , Yes and yes. We on average had close to 4000 bushel stored in cribs,4 of them. There is damage from all sorts of problems but the damage was offset by what it would cost to dry and
it also let us pick on the cob when the dryer was full and drying(took around 4 hours between fill and empty of 300 bushels).The wire cribs were the worst for birds and squirrels while the
rats and mice went after the wood cribs. We used the cobs when we shelled for bedding and the beef cattle would grind the whole cob. One small silo was devoted to ear corn that was high
moisture.

I do have a metal shield bolted into the wagon to make the opening smaller so as not to spill as much. I do have several gravity wagons and even a few Deere barge boxes. Just posted the Chuck Wagon as something a little different. Tom

Thanks for posting. Reminds me of the good old days. Dad for many years ground ear corn for the beef cattle, he said they did not fonder when they had ground ear corn. The corn that was shelled, the cobs were hauled in the cow lot and put around the feed bunks. Next year loaded in the spreader and took to the field.

Nice pictures. picking corn and filling silo are a couple of my favorite things to do.

i can't say i've ever seen anyone using a self unloading wagon(silage wagon)with ear corn. i've see pictures and have seen an old Allis Chalmers ad with them using a self unloader as a bale kicker wagon.

I presume it works ok without shelling too much corn??

I also had never seen a Chuck Wagon used for picking. Looks as though it worked OK.
Growing up on the farm, corn picking was always my favorite part of harvest. My job was to haul the wagons and unload them into the elevator. Dad ran the picker.
I'm also involved with Ron out at Farmamerica and have helped pick out there for a number of years. They have 3 working pickers out there, and I have several of my own.

Thanks for posting the pictures!

Thanks for the answer. Sounds like what with playing dodge-ball with the weather and mentally figuring how much the critters will nibble at the edge of your crib as well as countless other things you've got your hands full. Was able to "play farmer" as a kid visiting my cousins' farm in VA but never any serious saddle time on the tractor. They'd get us kids to feed the cows, throw down bales from the loft, that kind of thing. Stuff we couldn't mess up too bad hahahahaha! Thanks again for the explanation, always interesting.
Gerrit

great pictures! harvesting ear corn was one of my favorite times on the farm!
glad to see you still do some,

again , thanks for the pictures!

Nice pictures, Tom. We used Chuckwagons for high moisture corn once, and we put shelled corn in one a couple times when the weather was threatening, and we were trying to get done. Somewhere around here I think we still have some doors that bolted or snapped in the chuckwagon front door to better meter grain. That 122 looks to be in great shape.

I bought a stack of those doors at a dealer close out sale and just cut the bottom part off to make my corn door. Without something it makes a big mess. Tom

We had a JD 18.5" elevator with a Wisconsin engine. Took an almighty yank to start it but it ran great. No sweat moving ear corn or bales, but could get ahead of it moving shelled corn if you weren't careful...

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back