First cutting hay done

grandpa Love

Ended up with right at 950 square bales.
Ford 960 had a bearing go out in
transmission. It will get split shortly.
Baler missed one tie, when new roll of
twine started. Ford 7.3 diesel is headed
for the shop, injector cups are leaking
bad. Pushing diesel out of radiator over
flow. Clutch almost didn't make it last
night. Got 200,000+ miles on the clutch
17 year old got it really hot pulling
gooseneck around the hay field. It got
the hay and equipment home. " new "
truck will get a gooseneck ball this
week!! Beat the rain a couple times.
Once got hay on trailer and a tarp over
it. Once made it 10 miles down the road
to deliver hay and it poured at the
field. Did get one decent shower on last
field, but hay looked fine 2 hot days
later. Thanks for all the help, advice
and tips. This site is great. We are all
dead tired today. Yesterday was 265 bales
in 90+ heat. All the hay has been sold!!
What a lot of fun!
cvphoto47959.jpg

Cost to buy equipment. Haybine $250.
Sickle mower $200. Rake $300. Tedder $600
( not counting trip to Indiana for parts
machine) baler $500. But can't count
the price of family time and fun!

Sounds like a great time.
Sounds like you need to rest a little on Father's Day.
Are yall still headed to your Dad's today?
Richard

Good for you!! Making hay for some people is just something that is apparently in the blood. When I was thirteen I watched as my older brother who was 17 helped in the hayfield next door. I wasn't big enough yet. But next year I was pronounced big enough, and went to work. The following year I was made the official hay stacker. As years went by before I started haying myself, I would sometimes stop and help random people who were out in the field haying.

You are making memories with your family. We started out like that and reinvested in machinery along the way. You learn what works and what doesn’t. Most of my proudest moments as a teen and then as a father of teens have come from a hayfield. I too am thankful for the brain trust here on YT. I enjoy watching your adventures and appreciate you sharing your hard work. Happy Fathers Day Kevin.

Richard, I think we gonna stay home. Our 17 year old threw up yesterday in the hay field and had a slight temperature last night. Still a bit warm this morning. Probably just too hot in hay field, but my folks told us to stay away! Just in case

Good for you guys! do the boys agree that it was all fun, etc etc? I bet they are a lot stronger now than when the adventure started, used muscles they didn't know they had. Maybe when word gets around that you have the hay eqpt, more offers to "cut my fields" will come in. Though it sounds like people and machines all need a breather.
I have 12 or 13 acres to go on first cutting to finish. Rainy forecast here this week.

Sounds like you had a good first year. Its always a nice feeling when you make that last load. This may have been mentioned before but does your baler have a wagon drawbar on back? Then you could pull a wagon and stack it as you bale, no need to pick up off ground. I realize you often deliver hay right from the field to customer so not sure if the customer is too far to want to haul wagons on the road. Do you get a second /third cut down there or is it too hot/dry to regrow?

Yep, I got too hot in the straw field getting up bales one time and had heat exhaustion.
Did he have chills when it hit him?
It happened again about 12 years ago in a hay field helping a friend.
3 of us went down that day.
I have learned to stop when I feel it coming on and hunt a shade tree and pour cool water over my arms to get better and cool body temp down.
Had a cousin got heat stroke at football camp many years ago and they kept him packed in ice for 3 days in the hospital.
He is normal these many years later.
Well, as "normal" as a member of my family can be.
Richard

Jk- NY no wagon hitch on baler. Folks that bought all the hay live 25 miles away. Too far for us to pull a wagon. 2 nd cut is almost for sure. Have seen friends get four cuttings if weather is right

Had it back in 76 but I was working in mow at time at 32 years of age. Grandpa and cousin got it on wagon that year. Next year we had a thrower baler and shorter bales. All hay equipment left in 81 after selling cows in fall of 80. I can still tell efects of that time and I now know when to start using extra heavy amounts of salt when I feeling it comming on. If time add more salt to food, if not just grab salt shaker and pot salt on palm of hand and like it up. When I got it was heaving everything up, when finally could see Dr down to dry heaves. Had to but a table spoon of salt in warm water and drink all I could possible do. 9 years ago had heart bypass and heat dr kept saying no salt watso ever. If would have listened to him I would be dead for several years now. So watch that heat so you are still living.

You did really well on buying the equipment, especially on that 315 NH baler. I like the fact that you were able to sell all of the hay, probably before it was baled ! That puts closure on the work, defines the purpose, justifies the investment in equipment and gives peace of mind knowing you'll get a modest return against what you invested, all the while being part of a hobby !

As things improve, hay quality gets better, 2nd cut should be much nicer, you may get a little more return, depends on what customers will buy for what price. Certainly is impressive for a small part time operation, family helps out, probably learned quite a bit, I'd say you did very well !

Yes sir, you did alright picking up that equipment at that price. Not to mention bring it into working order. As a young man , I absolutely loved haying, might sound crazy, but true. And if your boys handle enough bales, they will be able to beat all their school buddies in an arm wrestle this fall

Yes that is too far for wagon hauling unless you have real good wagons on real good tires.

If it puts a smile on your face, it looks like it does, and keeps your family happy doing this please carry on. Money well spent in my opinion.

Have a Happy Father’s Day

Vito

Yer doomed and now everyone who comments on this post is doomed 😷😷😷😷 except me I have the anecdote for the disease

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back