First day on the job

Lanse

It sucked, and I quit.

Thats about the just of it.

I got up early, got there with time to spare, got a hardhat & glasses, etc. It was a pretty impressive jobsite, tons of people and lots of activity (atleast three different contractors there), and all we (another weldor from my school, and an hvac student from my school and myself) did was take stuff apart. They are building a new school and re-modeling the old one at the same time, and we got to work in the old building. We took out old heating register covers, then the copper pipes themselves, then the registers themselves, etc. About halfway through the day, I had yet to lay eyes on a welder or hear a word spoken about it. The hvac dude was starting to wonder, so we started talking to some of the other kids there. I met a couple friendly other welding students from about an hour away from here, and they said they'de been here since feburary and had yet to lay a single bead, or do anything welding related. So, I asked my supervisor when we'd get to doing any welding. He chuckled and said "You're not". Thats nice. So, later on, we ran into the guy who "hired" us, and I asked him. I couldnt get a straight answer for anything, just the run-around, etc. And, after talking to a few other people and another boss, it seems theyre little game is that they hire people from the local vocation schools, and we just do the $#!^ work. They usually figure out whats up and some of them get mad and leave, and some just accept it as a low-paying job doing lousy work and stay. The kids who do stay get to miss half of the school year to work on their "apprenticeships" and the company gets cheap labor. Out of the four of us from my school, one never showed up, one (myself) ran off, and the other two are staying, but are pretty p^ssed about it.

The company is really hard up for laborers, and buses in people with slightly-darker skin of questionable legality in this country from Cincinnati and they do a lot of other work.

About half-way through the day, we had this figured out and I was mad, and disappointed, and decided I wasn't working here. Partly because I could make the same thing flipping burgers in town, a physically easy job with AC (and if im not learning anything, why not?) And partly, alright, mostly, because they lied to us. They looked us in the eye, and straight up lied to us.

I absolutely H A T E liars. Its one of few things that I have no patience whatsoever, and despise with a passion. I used to do farm work baling hay and what not around town, but eventually stopped because I was tired of getting ripped off by dishonest farmers, then had the (lying) girlfriend from hell, and later got a sweet deal on a nice little Dakota. "Oh yeah, everythings just fine with it, blaw, blaw, blaw" says the seller, and it caught on fire while I was driving it one day. Turns out the jackwagon that I bought it from had some oil pressure switch on the outside of the engine all cobbled together, and it fell apart (again), and started spewing hot oil everywhere. It eventually lit off the exhaust, and the rest is history.

So, back to today.

Anyway, I thought about calling this scumbag out and confronting him, until I got to hear him go ape$#!^ on some one/thing in the next room, and decided that was a pretty bad idea. So, at the end of the day, I just hopped in my truck, swore I'd never return, and drove off into the sunset. Its no skin off my @$$, and I couldn't care less what they think. They'll figure it out eventually.

Anyway, I guess its time to break out the old stickmate and fire up the good old hobarts once more. Its not that big of a deal really, I turn 18 in a month (july 9), and I know of a place that really wants to hire me then. Plus, it would be enjoyable work, and its 20 mins closer to home. Tomorrow, Im calling the apprenticeship guy at the school and having a nice long talk with him. This company "hired" a few kids at the beginning of this year, and those guys never heard back from them.

So, that was my day. Tomorrow,Im heading out to the shop to finish up my BBQ and think of some other stuff to build. Thats my problem, I dont have many ideas. Oh well, I always figure something out.

Rant over.

You are 18 and looking for a something to do,the USMC is looking for a few good men. Check them out.Beats the heck out of being taken advantage of and degraded.Besides welding booths and motor pools are easy to get duty in and fairly safe and you may get to see some of the world.

Yeah, it apparently sucks :(
Our welding teacher told us that things were picking up, and that this year, he had more requests for apprentices than any other year, going back a few years.

I'll give you my number, but Im not sure the other two would be very cool with some random person off the internet calling them :/

Army is hiring. Pay into the GI Bill (not much) and you can have 3 hots & a cot, go to school nights and weekends to get almost any degree you want (ASE certification, welding, etc). 30 days paid vacation, 100% free medical and dental, travel the world, and grow up all with a decent paycheck coming in.

Dave

Ive thought about it :)
If all else fails, then I might. I dont wanna make a commitment to anything tho, I really wanna just find a legit job and work at it for a while, live at home and save money, and then start my own business, and move out.

I did find a cool looking old key on the ground part of the way through my day that fell out of one of the registers, and Im putting it on my keyring. Next time I get a little tired of doing/building _________ here in my shop or doing other work, well, its just a reminder.

Gi bill/va loan will help you get started. You may decide you like it and stay 20+ and retire with some bennies that will make life easier while working the private sector. Don't think you'd be sorry.

Thats starting to sound more and more appealing.

Plus, Im out to make money. If I made $30,000 a
year at a civilian job, I wouldn't have much left,
after taxes, room & board, etc.

If I were in the military and deployed to some far
off land, I would have $30,000 (minus whatever I
spent in my spare time)in the bank at the end of
the year. Tax free, govt pays for
clothing/food/medical/etc, etc, etc.

Im really thinking about it.

Man that sucks Lanse! Here I was looking forward to you telling us you were building something great.
You're a better man than I, I would have given that guy both barrels!

Killer savings plan also. Tax free pay if you deploy to a combat zone and (I believe) Kuwait. and, and, and. Get into a specialty skill like wheeled vehicle mechanic or heavy wheel mechanic and you'll have plenty of opportunities to tear stuff up . You can also select welding as a trade.
Give it a look.

http://www.goarmy.com/#

Yeah, believe me, so was I.

My school has never had a problem like this (that
I've heard of) with employers, so I guess i didnt
ask many questions.

Oh well. Better luck next time.

Lanse
If you go military, GO AIR FORCE, they send the officers to fight the battle while enlisted kick back in safety. Get into aircraft maintenance and you make rank fast and will learn a lot. Had a buddy in the machine shop and he loved it. We shared a building so I got to play around with the welders and use the equipment when I could. It was all helping them build something Air Force related but not critical aircraft stuff. Now to be honest I am happy to be retired, couldn't say I would want any part of military with the president we have now.

Sorry to hear that Lanse .I would MAKE DARNED SURE to let your apprenticeship guy at school know . I went through same thing when I was in school . Lot of places abuse this program and want only cheap labor . I finally got hooked up with great shop owner who taught me tons whne I was your age . Had to weed out a few of the bad ones .

Lanse
I will tell you that i spent 20&1/2 years in the Air Force , I Spent the first 2 yrs. in Japan . Then 4 yrs in Mo. THEN 3&1/2 YRS IN Alaska. 18 months in Arizona , 1 yr. in Thialand ., then 7 1/2 yrs in New Mexico . I was in the Aircraft Field as a Crewchief I retired as a E7 . The rank might have gotten better but I doubt it. Thing is if you go military be sure its the branch that you want. Once enlisted its too late to change your mind. I really enjoyed my time in. Best of Luck in Lifes Journey

U.S.A.F. Retied M/Sgt
JOhn Forrester

Yup, I would have like to see the results of a 17 yr old stud like yourself calling out the "scumbag" job super. Hopefully, you would have posted pictures of the boot sticking out your hindend when he kicked you all over the jobsite. That's the problem with the world today, cocky little terdsniffers want to start right out at the top, don't think they need to start at the bottom and earn the right to work up the ladder.

Most of us started out at the bottom,,, low man on the totem pole :wink:,,, I have never regretted the time spent their,,, if for nuttin else the folks I meet along the way...

I begged for a job sweeping the floor's in a garage when I was 15,,, by the time I was 18, I was put on the line,,, I had a front row seat tho it was not zackly the seat i wanted,,, I then put out the word "have tool box with wheels will travel for a nickel ",,, I worked at 5 different shops in the next 4 years,,,along the way I meet a few folks that would show me the ropes,,, at 22 I opened my own shop and never looked back,,, I sweep my Flores now they belong to me...

It takes a special person to take you under their wing,,, it takes a special person that can teach you their trade... They are out their you just gotta find him... I have had one in 32 years that had the right stuff,,, he wanted to move on to bigger and better things,,, he did BUT he knows if he wants a job he is welcome back even if it means i change the name on the sign out front to his name ....

I have found another guy that may work out,,, tho his cell phone may cost him a job... What makes him so special,,, Think about this,,, what he don't know I can teach him,,, what he already knows can not be teach'ed...

Until you get their ( what he already knows can not be teach'ed) life is gonna be tuff... What is that, he can get out of most any jam with out my help and he seams to take it in stride with a good attitude... If I could jam his cell phone signal he's as good a help as it comes :twisted:

If you think this guy that hired you at this job was a liar wait til you hear/see what a recruiter says/does to you .

I was hoping for big news. I"ve been following your projects and your news about your new job. I'm just a young guy, older than you though. I got a new job a while ago. My uncle told me this guy needed help so I went to ask him about a job. I mentioned an apprenticeship and he hummed and hawed for a month and finally hired me. Said we would talk about apprenticeship after 3 months. Never happened. Fine with me anyway. Don't want to commit to 4-5 years with this guy. Not a bad guy , but limited welding experience. Anyways, he told me I would be welding, cutting, drilling etc. 5 months of cutting, drilling, and punching holes later I finally did a BIT of welding. My uncle told me after a while that this guy has trouble keeping help. He needed help so I guess he lied to me to get it. He must have been desperate though, cause he really doesn't seem like the type to lie, and the way he talks , he don't like people who lie to get business, etc. In my case though, it does provide some job security, he needs the help, but cannot find people who stay for long. I'm thingking along the same line as you though, save up and start a small repair shop. Good luck.

If that was the case, why didn't they tell him that he woudln't be welding, but instead removing registers(a job really only appropiate for the hvac kid), or atleast tell him that he wouldn't be welding right away? I agree with you though, earn your way, But make that clear, don't tell the guy that he'll being welding right away, or giving him that impression.

Gee, was hopeing to hear a little better outcome, but hey, you were lookn for a job when you found that one. Keep looking, you'll find something. Good Luck!

Hey Lanse, sorry to hear things went so bad with the new job. I know one post blasted you about quitting for 'having to start at the bottom' but I think you made your actual reason for quitting pretty clear....You can't stand liars. Personally I'm right there with you on that. As bad as things are already so far as job security, etc in general, to find out the place that hired you has lied to from the word go is plain out disgraceful. Ultimately what else could you do? I mean seriously there's nothing wrong with hard work, but who want's to work that hard, for dirt wages, for a bunch of liars??? Personally, even when I was your age,there's no way I would have left the jobsite without saying my piece about the whole situation. Regardless of how the sup sounded when he "went off" I'd have made sure that everyone knew I had been lied to and that was the reason I was leaving, otherwise you can just about bet the sup will just make it seem like your a lazy punk that just couldn't hang....Course to be honest he probably couldn't care less...but it would have sure made me feel better.....

Again sorry things didn't work out but your young and have plenty of time to figure things out. As far as the military I'm going to go against the grain here and say don't do it. True the training is pretty good but from what I saw when I was in and have heard over the years since getting out, it's not like it was. If your a computer geek then there are lots and lots of high tech jobs where you'll learn computers, etc. As far as mechanical programs what I found out (at least in the NAVY) is that you learn the basics and that;s about it. From there evertything is so specialized that you might be a 'tire changer' on one piece of equipment or another, you might be in charge of pulling the engine module out of this tank or airplane and running specific tests on it, etc, etc. Granted I'm talking generalities here but I know from what I've heard from others as well as saw personally back in the late 80's it's not all it's cracked up to be, if for no other reason than when you get out your training is so specialized toward military equipment that little of it transfers over into the real world working on civilian equipment. That said of your doing it for the GI Bill and the educational benefits alone then it might not be a bad deal. However if your not into sitdown, classroom education and prefer to get out in the real world of OJT and learn hands on then the military isn't the way to go. Army, Airforce, USMC, take your pick, they may be different but that's my advice to you after 6 years in the Navy where I advanced to E6 based soley on what I knew (the majority of it learned growing up, before I went in) and not who I knew....

Welcome to the real world!!! Sounds like you have plenty of ideas already on how things should be done. You won't make the military either with your attitude. US army vet and 35 year mechanic !!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like the 1st day of my plumbing apprenticeship 30+ years ago. Super was abusive and had me doing anything and everything but plumbing. By Friday I went nose to nose and chest to chest with this guy and explained that he was not going to be verbally abusive or I was going to physically abuse him. At the time I was 6'1, 250lbs, an athlete and fresh off the farm. I could back up my threat.

Well I showed up Monday am and got called on the carpet. I was sure I was going to get canned. Seems like it was part of the process to see what kind personality I had. I was commended for doing what I was told to do,well, when I was told to do it without any attitude or bitching.

Over the years I trained a lot of young men. Those that had a good attitude did well. Those that thought that I should pay them enough money to have the lifestyle their parents had provided for them failed.
Lanse it sounds like your parents are still funding your lifestyle.
I think you failed your 1st test!

Been thinking about this and maybe you should suck it up and get up and go back tomorrow. Keep going until you have something better lined up. I don't think the key will keep you going to long if you don't. Anyway I think thats what I would do,but I guess you should do whatever you thinks right.

Lanse
You didn't quit! You ran away like a little girl!
You were not lied to, you were told what you wanted to hear. When you applied did you ask what kind of work you were going to be doing? If not it's on you pal.
Get your @$$ out of bed and get to work in the morning like a man.
You need to stop listening to these guys filling your head with bull dirt. You are not a weldor your just a kid that can weld.
Did you seriously think someone was going to hire you and put a welder in your hand the first day, week, or month?
I've been at the same warehouse for 23 years, my first task was painting bollards in the yard, now I'm the foreman.
You have to start some where and it's always going to be at the bottom.
DON'T BE A QUITTER!

Scott

I agree with Puddles, that really sucks. I also agree you were lied to. This place wanted to hire students from a vocational school because they expected the students would have better mechanical skills over computer skills(desk job) for example. The guys on here that think you should just accept it obviously never went through an apprenticeship. If you were running around getting stuff for a welder or grinding and cleaning up after a welder is common for an apprentice but not even working around a welders, they pulled a fast one on you and the other students. Definately talk to the apprenticeship board. A company taking on apprentices is required to train apprentices for the trade they were hired for. You might not do any welding for a while, sometimes even a year, but you'll still be working with welders. Don't get too discouraged, something will come up. I wouldn't just jump into the military though. I've been lied to and jerked around several times myself on jobs. Sometimes it's tolerable and other times it's just not worth it. I can't blame you for being pi$$ed and quitting. Hang in there though. Maybe your welding teacher can help you find a better welding job?

He was lied to, plain and simple. Do think welders(or other trades) are just born with all the skills? Lanse was told they were signing him up for a welding apprenticeship and he was excited about it. Then on the job they told him, and the other students, they wouldn't be doing anything welding related. If that's not being lied to, I don't know what is. Lanse has every right to be upset. There lots of places that would have first years pick up a stinger and weld. I started welding right out of high school in a tank shop and built 20 ft. hooped ladders for 400 barrel tanks for 7 1/2 months as well as skids, flame arrestors and manways for the same tanks. After not too long I got to weld tanks too. Good employers appreciate you, they don't lie to you.

I've always been big on, a “deals a deal”, “a man's word is his bond”. Oh there's a bunch of them I just can't remember them right now! When I was an apprentice I never really go any sheety jobs. Got them as a journeyman / foreman!
Two funny stories, I was a general Foreman on a bridge project for the WSDOT, had a real hard nose inspector. Completed this 3-year project. Years latter went to work for this little outfit, had to hand dig a footing for a gate at the ticket house for a Washington State ferry dock we were replacing the wood wing walls with pipe. I was down on one knee using a flat shovel making sure the sides of the hole were vertical. I heard this voice from behind say, “I see you've come a long ways in the last few years”. Yup you guessed it, that same hard nosed inspector. I stood up and we shook hands. I said Rick some times you just have to take the good with the bad. :lol:

Second funny story, I was sent up to the Canadian border as a pile driving foreman to drive at that time the longest concrete piles every driven on the west coast, 190-feet long, on 4/12 batters. When that project was completed the company sent me on a little marina job 20-minutes from home. When I arrived the foreman asked what I was doing there, I replied the office sent me here. He said only thing I have for you is picking up paper in the parking lot. Hour latter the project superintendent walks up behind me and says, “now exactly what are you doing?”. I replied, exactly what I was told to do. That was the last piece of paper I picked up! :lol:

Agreed. I almost joined the Navy. Took the ASFAB and scored 2 points off a perfect score. Took the coding test and was in the top 3%. I also had a college degree. All I wanted was for my $120,000 of college loans to be paid, guaranteed. They kept telling me yeah sure, no problem, GI Bill, yada yada. Never put anything in writing. When I did more research on my own I found out they were lying about what college bills they could pay for. I have plenty of family members who were in many different wards and have the ultimate respect for them and what they did. I had no respect for that recruiter and what he represented. Moral of the story here Lanse is whether it's a job or the Armed Forces... do your homework. It will save your butt more times in your life than you can count. Do some research on it yourself first, it will pay of.

Hopefully this does not come out as judgemental.

I am a high school voc ed teacher and have a little bit of experience on the other side of the desk of this issue.

1. Apprenticeships cost companies a lot of money. They are not in this for free labor. They are looking for future employees. In total the average amount a company spends on training you is near $10,000. They pay you wages, hire additional supervisors to monitor you and deal with a reduced workload from the people assigned to mentor you. They also have to deal with the cost of supplies and materials from inevitable rework situations.

2. The number 1 thing that employers have told me over and over again is that they want employees who are receptive to instruction, are teachable and are willing to put in the effort. I actually had one guy tell me specifically that he didn't care if the students had any advanced training at all. They can teach that. If they teach you they know you will do it the way they want to see it which is not always the way I taught you. Often times they are going to start apprentices and other young hires with the less than desirable work to see if you are going to stick around long enough to be worth their effort. Ask a mason's apprentice sometime what their first year is like and how many bricks they lay.

3. Regardless of what you think and even what your instructor thinks, in their mind you know very little. Keep in mind that you are not Lanse yet to them, you are a first day hire. They don't know squat about you, your work ethic or your skills on the first day. They also have to put you somewhere that you will make at least a little bit of money for them. Yesterday that was demo work. No company anywhere (especially one that is as big as this one sounds) is going to give you a stinger the first day on the job and let you go wild. Particularly since this sounds like it would be either pipefitting or structural welds from the sounds of the project.

4. Finally you may not know nearly as much as you think you know. I have this same exact problem with a few of my higher level students. I offer a small engines course and have students do very well in that course. However, often times they think that after completing the course they feel that they are ready to open up their own small engines shop. Truthfully they aren't even close. They have a good basic working knowledge and can follow my lead when diagnosing an engine problem but that is a lot different than doing it quickly and correctly without assistance.

Employers are often tight with their money and very slow to warm to youth. That is what makes them successful as a business. Like it or not they need to make money and apprenticeship programs are an investment into their own future. Most employers view youth as lazy, wisecracks who think they know everything and are entitled to everything. Honestly, a lot are exactly that. It is up to you to change their perspective of you.

Think of it like race car driving. No one gets the keys to the F1 car on the first day - no matter how high they score in the simulator.

You and Scott have got it EXACTLY right, imo. Don't know how many MEN worked for me through the years (diversified farming/cow calf operation); they all spent more time in a tractor seat than doing any other single thing, but there wasn't a single one of 'em that drove anything the first day or 2 or 3. Best employee I ever had (and worked for me the longest) spent his first week cutting/piling/burning honey locust sprouts in a pasture.....by himself.

i hear you lance, but from experience, you got to remember in this situation you may not walk right into your "profession choise' in this economy you got guys with 30 years experience as welders looking at the same job, guess who the builder wants? but as they say ' you got to pay your dues, if you had stuck and done the !@#$ work, the bosses would have took notice of that if their boss material at all, on the next job you might have been in the money jobs, maybe not, but you would be closer, the main problem with tech schools is that they fill students heads with nonsence about how good the money is right out of school, it just aint so, got to pay your dues, work your way up, weather its welding, trucking mechanic ect, ive seen auto mechanic school graduates come in a shop carrying their hip-roof tool box with " every tool they need" place it on the bench in front of their bay,ready for the money to start rolling in, all the while wondering why the 50+ year old line mechanic in the next bay has a toolbox as big as a compact car, same in trucking, if you graduate a driving school ready to hit the road your first job may involve a 1 ton straight job in town, while the old guy who has his eye on the same job opening, and has been driving big rigs since they came with 2 sticks and no power steering or a/c, gets the shiny new 200,000 dollar rig , these days any job that has a paycheck attached to it is worth keeping,if you put in your time as a grunt, tend your buiseness, kiss the propper hineys, it wont be too long before you'll be telling the new guy what to do, now, go try it again, you got a lot of potential it seams to me from reading all your posts in the last few years, just got to pay some dues now..

Lanse, I'm certainly not one to toake career advice from...but I can give you advice about jobs, because I've had plenty of them.

Once you get married and have someone who's counting on you for monetary support, you no longer have the freedom to quit and walk away from a job simply because you were lied to.

Get used to it, because more employers will lie to you than will tell you the truth. THAT is the ugly truth. Some will lie to you simply because they believe the lies themselves; others will lie to you because, if they were forced to tell the truth, nobody would ever come to work for them. And still others will lie to you because they've been ding it for so long, they don't know any other way to operate.

This is not to say that ALL employers lie...because not all of 'em do. But many make promises of advancement in position or pay that simply aren't related to reality. There was one employer I worked for 3 different times. I left on good terms every time. But after the first time, I knew to negotiate my best deal going in the door...because the raises and advancement that he promised simply weren't going to happen after you were hired. In fact, the mechanics in the shop figured out that the only way to get a raise out of this man was to already have another job lined up; some of them even had already loaded their toolboxes onto their trucks to take them to the new job before any offer of more money came along.

Sometimes there's some crap work that comes along with the good, as well. When I was in college, I worked one summer for the local school corporation in the maintenance department. I was hired to take their Farmall 140 with the belly-mounted Woods 59 mower and mow grass...but I spent about as much time as general labor putting new sealat/finish down on old hardwood classroom floors in ancient buildings, or loading and hauling old drywall and wood scraps out of an old building they were rehabbing...and even then I would get laid off for a week here and a week there, simply because they ran out of work for me to do. The maintenance supervisor said I worked too fast, and that I would "work myself out of a job" by doing things the way I did...but they couldn't say that I was playing off or screwing around on them. I did what I was told, because I wanted the hours on my paycheck.

When I was in high school, I went to work in the produce department at a local grocery store. I chose to apply for the opening in the produce department primarily because I didn't want to spend m days and nights as a carry-out boy, packing groceries to peoples' cars. But whenever I was scheduled to work on a Saturday, I knw I'd end up carrying groceries out to peoples' cars anyway, because back then on Saturdays the grocery stores in town got swamped.
So I simply sucked it up and did what I was told, learned to do what I was asked, and never forgot that it all paid the same, that I wasn't taking a pay cut to carry groceries. [And NO, nobody tipped the carry-out boys then...especially the welfare moms with two huge carts full of groceries on the first of the month.]

Now, if there was ABSOLUTELY no prospects that you'd EVER touch a welder on this job, THEN I'd say you did the right thing by walking away. But being young and single, you have that option now; in a few years, you may not have the option of calling a liar a liar to his face and walking away, you may need to take their paycheck to make rent or the electric bill or the groceries. So my advice is, don't burn bridges unless you have NO other options in front of you. The faces you spit in today may be connected to the a$$es you'll have to kiss to get or keep a job tomorrow...never forget that.

Now,I'm not saying what you did was right or wrong. I'm just saing that when you're living on your own and have bills to pay, sometimes you have to eat a lot of humble pie, and do things you once said you'd never do. Pride won't go very far with the electric company, when you're running out of time on the disconnect notice. And sometimes even when ou ARE working, the bills can eat away a paycheck pretty quickly. My nice high school class ring fell victim to my son needing formula in an off-pay week, after using the rest of the check to pay the suddenly-raised rent. [Oh, yeah...employers aren't the only people who'll lie to you, either. Don't forget that as you go through life, either.]

If you want a job as a welder, but they don't give you a welding test when you walk in the door--or even pre-hire--that's usually a good sign they're not hiring you for a welding position.

Keep in mind...a verbal contract ain't worth the paper it's NOT written on. If you don't get it in writing, you got nothin'.

Saying you don't want to make a committment says a lot. In order to succeed on a job, you have to STAY on the job.

When I left the Marine Corps, I went to work for a local newspaper and commercial printing plant. This was still in the days of metal type. My first job was the absolute bottom, melting down used type and pouring the melted lead into "pigs" to be hung on the lynotype machines and reused. It was hot, sweaty, dirty work. I stuck with it and things got better.

Five years later, I was made General Manager of the entire operation.

Do you honestly think the people who hired you will be hurt because you quit? They were just sorting out the "stayers" from the losers. Your actions told them what they wanted to know.

Thanks Buzzman...

And yes, not only did I take neither of those, but all I ever did was answer a few generic questions about my abilities. That should have been a red flag right there. Oh well, now I know...

I really did think about that yesterday, but right now, Im in school (sort of), and living at home, so I dont have any real expenses. Basically, just a little gas here and there, and then whatever I feel the urge to buy. It nice. If I was 10 years older and had a wife and kids that were counting on me, you can bet that Id be right back at that place for another day. Granted I would have started looking for other jobs last night, Id be there again today.

My first three days as a "welder" I swept the whole shop floor.Which was not easy to do with pieces of metal laying everywhere,some so big a crane had to move it.Then I carried parts and got tools for at least a week before I even touched a welder.I was told that I would get to weld though.Maybe you dont know this,but they are going to test you out before they decide to keep you or not.You cant believe half of what you hear.Most guys are too timid to stand up for themselves,so thats why they get away with treating them like that.
Now you ought to give them at least a week or 2.Also another thing is,listening to a teacher.When you can tell they are telling you right,its fine to listen to a teacher,but otherwise,they dont usually know much,thats why they are a teacher.I dont want to make a bunch of people mad over this,and some teachers are good and have worked for a living,but a lot of them havent.The bad ones will fill your head with crap and thats about it.The good ones are good.
If they wanted a cheap laborer and you werent going to get to weld,thats one thing,if it hurts your feelings because they didnt recognize that you were a great welder in your mind,they have seen hundreds of people just like you.Very few of them probably ever get to weld anything.
There are jobs where they really want welders though.Dont worry so much about being an apprentice.Welding is not rocket science for the most part.They can have you welding the way they want you to weld for them in a couple of weeks if they want to.Yeah there are apprentice programs and welding schools,but do you want to weld or spend money?Get a job welding and decide if its for you or not.
You know there are all kinds of things that you have to do besides weld.Its the same as for driving a truck,you have a whole lot of things you have to do before you can drive.Welding is the easy part.Somebody has to cut the parts out,somebody has to punch holes in the parts,somebody has to fit the parts,and then weld the parts together. Building a building,somebody has to do a lot more than that.
First off,if you want to make it anywhere,be prepared to do other things besides weld.Also,pick a place to work for that actually welds,and do whatever they tell you to do.If they want you to hold a sign that says wet paint,and they pay you by the hour,hold the sign,dont gripe.One winter for a few weeks where I worked they didnt have any welding,so they gave us a big air drill with a reamer on it and we fit parts and reamed holes.It kept us getting a paycheck.Even stay away from people who gripe a lot.Work and pay attention to what you are doing.You will probably screw up enough at first that even you will wonder why they keep you.The best reason would be that you do what they say and dont gripe.
The way it works is like this,you start at the bottom and work your way up.If you get mad and quit,say after working for a while,you go somewhere else and start at the bottom again.Rarely some place will give you a little better job for your experience but mostly they try and treat you like you are a beginner until you prove yourself.A kid,just starting out,well you dont have any experience,plus everything that happens,is your fault,you are the low man on the totem pole.They might cut you some slack for being a kid,but maybe not.

Few thing I would say, and ive walked off some folks would kill for,,1-crawfishing becomes a habit,dont get started. 2- when you work for a man and take his money "HE" is always right and his company is the the best!..regardless!.. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY!!.. the best time to look for a job is when you have one,today may have been the day when you made the contact for that job you want,I guarantee you wont find it setting in front of the tv!.Like i say ive been to that rodeo a few times my ownself ,so I know how you feel,but when you hire out your job is not to run the outfit unless you were specifically hired to. If so then your able THEN to say how a job is run.Thats the main problem whith this world today, nobody wants to be indian everyone wants to be chief.Those folks of questionable legality in all reality are the ones you'll be working for tomorrow because they will not walk off, and they will patiently WORK their way up to chief.

Welcome to the real world! You need to stick it out when your on a job. It don't look good if you've had several job that lasted only a short time. All jobs are not what you really want to do but there is a paycheck atttached to every job. In the working world you need to do as your asked because your not playing with you welder in momma's garage.
Not chewing you out, just trying to help you.

How could they hire you in the first place if you are <18? I thought you had to be 18 for any kind of construction job, sounds shady to me.

Lanse, I was hired in as a welder in 1956. I took the test and passed. The first day on the job I was put on a line running a spot welder assembling blower parts. The next day I was sent to another area to be a sheet metal shear helper handling 4' X 10' sheets of 20 gage steel. The next day I put on a huge punch press to make washers out of scrap steel with arm jerk straps. The next day I was back spot welding blowers. The next day I was in a small punch press cutting corner notches a head of a bending press.
This was the way it went for months until the put me on a squaring shear as the operator where I remained for as long as they needed a second shift. After I had proved myself they gave me special short jobs that involved several setups a night. Second shift was a small clean up shift and after being a shear operator we still had to clean up jobes on the punch presses, spot welders and the bending presses. I never struck an arc in the welding department. The job I was hired to do in the first place was given to a man that had welded for several years in another plant and was in his 30's. I was 18 when I started. In High School I was given welding time on projects and thought I was better than I really was.
I am so grateful for that company trying me out on all the different machines and after being a helper for only a few nights had the confidence to trust me by myself. At a young age I was able to learn to set up machines from one job to another. All of this has helped me over the years to understand the details in so many other things.
I have never had a job I hated to do. I feel I have learned from the jobs that others think are road apple jobs. Even those jobs have to be done right and timely or it costs the company you are working for money.
If, and I think it could happen, you start your own business you will want to find out how someone does the job assigned and how timely they get it done before placing them in a job that takes more skills.

The cream rises to the top. The most talented (are) seen. If you stay as a day laborer then you have not made the right impression. Very good help is still hard to come by. Average workers are a dime a dozen. Like it or not leaving a job has put a check mark on your willingness to see a job through. Talking to others about how they are treated that you have no idea of their out put is not the way to find out how people are treated.
When I walk thru my plant I notice and see a whole lot more than anyone knows. Some can talk and work other either work or talk. It is easy to tell the difference at a glance. Some people skip their breaks to get the job done. Some skip getting a job out so they can have their extra long breaks because they have it coming.
If you can go back to work for these people do so and make a good name for yourself. I know you have what it takes to do it.

There are a lot of good points here. I surely don't promote quiting jobs, but I've quit my fair share of them. For those of you who will continue to read this novel, some might say I was lucky, some might say I was good. I'd like to think I was good. Now keep in mind heavy civil construction is an entirely different life than most of you will ever know!

I got married in August, (still married, man is she tough) :lol: started my senior year of high school that same September. Also started my second year of welding school that same September. Welding school was a trade center that we were bussed to for 3-hours a day for our junior, and senior years. The first of March of my senior year I was put to work in a welding shop, the 24th of March my first daughter was born. One Friday in June I graduated high School the next Tuesday my dad had me in the apprenticeship. Also take note I'm 3rd generation construction, I was out on jobs with my dad almost as soon as I could walk. So this wasn't new to me at all. About my 3rd year of my apprenticeship I went through an independent streak, I remember one week I quit 4-jobs. Didn't cost me a dime, I'd just get another one on the way home. Later in life I would quit a job over money, what I mean is I'd be working a 40-hour a week job, and hear about one somewhere else working 60-hours a week. I quit in a New York second and go get a job there. Or if a job was closer to home, I quit where I was and go get that job. I've quit numerous jobs because they were run stupidly. I never once quit a job because it was tough. I was brought up on hard work, and I never minded working hard, but I'm not going to work stupid very long.

I've been fired twice in my life. Once for causing union problems on a job. Company had another craft come in after we left to do our work. When the foreman handed me my two checks he said I'd never work for them again. I replied who gives a sheet I never heard of this chicken sheet outfit before. Over the next few years that same foreman called me back for four other projects! He didn't like my attitude, but he knew I made him money.

Second time I got fired was with the company I worked the longest with, and retired as a project superintendent. We were drilling 24-inch holes to set concrete pile in at a ferry dock. We hit everything but a kitchen sink. Auger walked right through the bottom gate / tub. I asked the 28-year old superintendent to have the yard send us some heavy wall pipe for the tub / gate, no more sch-40. When the truck arrived with sch-40 pipe I asked him what part of what I asked for he didn't understand? One thing lead to another and he fired me on the spot. Said I'd never work for the company again. That was a Friday afternoon, Monday morning I was driving piles for the USS Lincoln Home Port, (same company).

Moral of all this, in construction quiting a job means nothing, it's just a job, nothing personal! :wink:

No one on here was there with you. so you're the ONLY one in this thread with enough background to speak on whether you made the right choice or not. That said, you've shown an ability to make choices you can live with.

There is nothing worse than being stuck in a job you hate. (BTDT)

Just remember, SOMETIMES you'll cross paths with employers who want to put you to the test to see if you can/will handle jobs that are a little less than glamorous. I do that with quite a few of my new employees. After all, the "newbie" is low man on the totem pole, so why not give him the low job? Highly doubtful that anyone will give you (especially at your relatively young age) the best job in the company. You'll have to pay your dues.

Then just wait until you have a mortgage, wife & kids, and a stack of bills that would choke a mule. Suddenly, jobs that sux doesn't sux quite as bad... The older we get, the less we believe we can change the world we live in.

But, there's no point in being miserable either. Someone will notice your abilities and give you a shot at a BETTER job.

As far as listenening to people who say you're a quitter, well, you're not. You were conned, plain and simple, and staying to work for a con artist only empowers them. You have principles, and you stood up for them, plain and simple. You obviously know the difference between a starter job, that you'd have to plug away at to make a reputation for yourself, and one where you're being treated like dirt. You deserve better than that, and good for you for walking away.

as a former voc ed welding instructor in a county high school setting --- get your lazy butt out of bed and back to work. if i found a student a job and he took it - tough -- it is your job!! your 18, you do not have 20 years experience. if i was your instructor you would be doing "grunt" work in the school shop until the sun quit shining or you understood this concept.

I don't think your a quitter. You were hired as an apprentice welder. Not a cleanup man. Sounds like they just wanted cheap labor.

When I did my apprenticeship as a mechanic. I swept floors,cleaned parts and what ever else they needed done. But only in the field that I was training for.I was not allowed to do anything else. If it did not involve me learning to be a mechanic. I was not allowed to do it.

So no you are not a quitter. You were in a dead end job and had been lied to. So you left.

Same thing happened to me this summer (kinda) I had an apprenticeship last summer at a dealership fixing tractors, this summer i called and they said yea, called a couple weeks before school, "were pretty slow right now but i have your number and ill give you a call if things pick up"

Come to find out, they hired a fellow student that is about to graduate with the 4 year degree.

Im 2 years away from my BT degree. they lied to me, and hired someone else, but life goes on. Theres always one place i can work where im comfortable, and thats the farm. =)

Well, here's my tale: I got discharged from Army on Disability status, with a wooden leg, and some cash every month, back in 1946. My MO or whatever it is called, was Infantry Rifleman, which didn't impress anybody.
The guvment came up with "On the job training", so i signed up for it. Said i'd get a check to make up for any low pay they offered.
First job was an auto body shhop by their recommendations, so off i go. A local place, and guys i knew worked there. My first job description was janitor. My last job description was janitor! I also had to wipe and or wash the boss' car every morning. And sweep up! This went on for several weeks. until i quit! The Guvment guy asked why. When i told him why-that shop got yanked from the program.
Then they sent me to a legitimate shop that did train me in Body work. I taught myself a lot of it, with some advice from the other guys. The boss didn't know as much as i did about body shop work, but i stayed there for 12 years, and learned the trade.
Sometimes ya have to roll with the punches, and stick it out, but that job Lanse was sent to was probably making a goodly sum from the kids sent to them! There are a lot of places like that-they hire the ones that are good folks, don't want to act wrong with the new employer, but they get sucker-punched by nefarious schemers, who pocket the money and go on!
Pennsylvania is not a right-to-work state, so the unions hold full sway for anybody who is looking for work. I have observed that here, if you don't join the Lodge-you don't get into the Unions-plain and simple! And, if you are missing an arm, leg, eye---don't even ask!

lots of places give the new hires the crappy jobs,its a test,to see if you have that old quality known as sticktoitivness I dont know of too many people that get to start a new job at the top,and work your way down,it usually works the other way,

That's where he should go for 3 or 4 years in the military. He'll know what he wants to do when he gets out. He will have his job to do after an hour of PT in the morning and a mile or two run. Hal
PS: He can't quit after the first day.

seems like your getting little sympathy here ,,so I'll just come out and say it.and probably make you mad and a few others here.You say you hate liars,and we all DO!,BUT you agreed to work for this place and you simply didnt show! see how the shoe fits both ways?I'll be perfectly honest with you ,and I hope it helps you in the future,IF you came into one of my buisnesses right now this minute looking for a job and told this story ,your application would be the first one in the trash!!Why? simply because I couldnt trust YOU!I'm not trying to be mean here,all I'm trying to do is help you,but for your sake dont go into your next job interview and tell this story and better yet dont even mention it!. want to know why those mexicans are taking yours and every other young persons job so often?Why so many buisnesses are moving overseas?why the US is so quickly falling behind japan, china, mexico, and other countries in manufacturing jobs? a big majority of the time its a simple thing called worker loyalty!YOU DONT have to like a job to do it,it helps but its not a requirement.Like I say i am trying to help you in future ,and im sorry if I made you mad.but theres a little thing that you will find in your life as you begin it thats more important than any other,that one thing is ethics..doing the right thing regardless if you are being watched or if anyone would ever find out!one worker with ethics even if he is not the best hand physically is worth any other 1000 anywhere in the world,to any company,anytime.theres a lot to ethics, and being a ethical worker,is really hard to do. They are getting fewer and fewer.In the old days we called it riding for the brand.when you took a job you did it to the best of your ability whether you liked it or not,simply because it was the right thing.If you had a unethical employer so what ? should you be the same,or should you simply do the job you were told and hired to do?so far in your career and short life youve had nothing but bad jobs and bad relationships ,,,seriously,,and again I'm not being mean,step back take a long hard look and its VERY possible that you'll find everyone one else is not against you!. be honest and you'll find to your great surprise that its NOT everyone elses fault. 99.9 % of the problems you have through your life will be caused directly by yourself!dont feel bad though its human nature to blame everyone but ourselves.again I hope you take this in the way its intended.

And by the way ,read carefully these replies,honestly and truly read and think about them,want to guess as the age difference of the folks who gave you answers ? do you understand now when I mention riding for the brand? you have a true cross section of folks here from the young to the used up like myself.its not hard to infer how the american worker,and the american idea, has changed over the years.!

jackinok I have to laugh when ever I hear “worker loyalty”! Now remember I only know construction, and we were treated just like tools. Soon as the employer didn't need us we went right back to the tool shed, (union hall). On the whole no warning, never asked if a layoff worked for my financial situation. Been laid off right before Christmas number of times.
I remember getting into a huge argument with a project manager one time when I was the project superintendent. One of my guys was going to quit and go to Alaska for 7/12s. The project manager made the statement that the hand would never work for him again. I replied he'll work for me soon as he gets back. Project manager said not on this job, I replied, wanna bet?! Most managers have no problem laying people off when not needed, but get their feelings hurt when someone quits them! :roll:

And...........not only the age difference in the various posters, but you can pretty much figure out whether they sign the payroll check(s) on the front or on the back.

"Welding apprenticeship" doesn't have "You'll never weld" in the job description.
I can see doing some crap work, it comes with the territory, but always doing crap work forever isn't worth it.
I think you done right BUT call 'em and tell 'em you aren't coming back. Tell them why. They already know but tell them anyway.

Then go to the school and explain, don't yell or jump up and down or get all excited. Tell them you're disappointed...

Oh, then go get a sucky job where you work your @$$ off. It builds character.

I spent the first semester after highschool surveying with my Dad. At one point I was wearing 3 pairs of pants freezing my butt off and realized I didn't want to do that the rest of my life. 17 years later I'm really glad I made the choices I did.

Puddles, you are absolutely right!. Lanse needs to get himself into a REAL apprenticeship program; one ran through a Union. The union will find you a job; pay is typically half journeyman to start, and you'll be on your way to a career that, with your Journeyman card, opens doors all across the country. Yes, you will start at the bottom in some God-awful chore, but as others have said, this is test of your attitude. The Union knows their employers and will move you from job to job to develop your skills. Sometimes those jobs may be a couple hundred miles from home, but again, you are 'paying your dues'.There are some members on this forum that belong to a Trade Union and I would bet not one would go back to being an independent jackleg 'handyman'.

Lanse was told he was being signed up as an apprentice pipe welder. Worker loyalty? What about employer loyalty? I got hired by one place and put in more overtime in 7 weeks on the night shift than anyone else except the foreman. Then without notice there were immediate lay offs. I got laid off for the simple reason that I was a 3rd year apprentice and made more money than a first year apprentice. The company didn't care that I could work with a lot less supervision and get the job done better and faster. All they cared about was the almighty buck. Lanse doesn't have to say anything about this job to any other employers. He just has to say he wants to work as welder and start an apprenticeship. He wasn't looking for a basic labourer job. He wasn't told that's all he'd do. If the employer would have been honest what the job was, Lanse could have chose then if he wanted it or if he wanted to look elsewhere. You don't have to stay at a job you don't like, especially when the job is entirely different from the job description you were originally told. Lanse did nothing wrong. The employer DID in this case!

(quoted from post at 14:54:35 06/07/11) You don't have to stay at a job you don't like, especially when the job is entirely different from the job description you were originally told. Lanse did nothing wrong. The employer DID in this case!

I wouldn't say either one did anything wrong. Lanse doesn't want to work for that company anymore and now he doesn't. The company wanted to test him out a bit and now they know the results.

It may actually be a blessing in disguise. After all had he toughed it out he might have ended up just becoming an employee that constantly whines and complains about how things are done. Lord knows we have enough of those already.

You can get a good apprenticeship without having to be in a union. However, it's often a lot easier to get into a union on the ground floor. You may work as a labourer but it will at least be related to the trade of your choice. Up here 1st years make 60% of Journeyman rate, 2nd years make 75% and 3rd years make 90%. These are the minimum requirements and employers can pay higher for better apprentices. Good apprentices can get there "C" pressure ticket and make the same wage as full on "B" pressure welders because they're doing the same work. Once the apprentice gets their journeyman ticket, the "C" ticket is no longer valid and they have to do the "B" pressure test to continue working on pressure vessels and pipe. Usually not a problem since they've already been doing it.

I don't know what all happened, but I can comment on part of your thread. I do have darker skinned guys work for me because I can't find enough white guys that want to work. They come in for a few days/weeks sometime and just don't show up all of a sudden. By the way I do offer decent wages, 2 weeks vacation, 401k, etc. It's just really different than 20-30 years ago. Many kids want to show up and think they're going to be the head of a crew in month. Get real. You have to start at the bottom and prove yourself. Your employer may have been fibbing also which isn't right for sure. I tell the guys that start for me-hey it's going to be 100 degrees and you're going to have to work outside all day. Then, it's going to be 10 degrees and we shovel snow just so you know. Many times it's sure, sure, sure no problem. Then all of a sudden it is a problem. Oh well, life goes on. Keep chugging.

Good call kid . Sounds like some non-union outfit that will get you hurt anyway. If you want to work with conditions join the electricians, ironworkers or better yet the pipefitters.You should have scrapped the copper pipe. TIG guys on pipe jobs get anything they ask for. There is no call for yelling on a jobsite unless someone got hurt. Way to stand up and not be scammed.

I wonder exactly how many of you folk actually built a company? do you actually think a person does this with no work?you work a union job you get union rules no one to blame but yourself you supposedly vote on it,,my guys always got bonuses for christmas.when i quit i paid my hands until they found other work ( to the tune of $ 1,200,000) all of them left me better off than when they started bar none. But they were on call 24 hrs a day, every day ,rain, snow,or shine if there was work to be done and if they didnt show they didnt have a job tommorrow!.and I was there first and last!! funny thing,I sold out for pennies on the dollar and most of them went on to make their own companies.LOL another thing is strange, I could call anyone still living right now and he would be here in the morning!do I and did I expect loyalty ?YES I also supprted and still support those who work for me 100%.Of course I dont know any thing about construction,at last count theres only six successful companies in the family.funny that all of them demand loyalty from their workers also..most of the original employees also.

did you get paid?thats what happens ,you work ,you get paid.lanse went looking for a job same as you,they needed something he didnt want to do done any he couldn't hang ,plain and simple.thats life my freind,wouldnt it be wonderful if we could all pick and choose?sad thing is 99.9% of the world would starve.but we would all be happy!,or think we were.got news for you,and you can take it to the bank, ALL ANY company cares about is money, thats what it exists for!its not there for your benifit ,it exists soley for its bottom line.The company owes you NO loyalty! its a non intenty,its simply exists on paper.Your boss is who you have to impress,not the company,the company is simply dollar signs.it has no morals right or wrong,it has no feelings,it has no consience.if you were laid off for the good of the company then thats exactly as it should have been!!BUT for some reason your foreman didnt go to bat for you,,,it would be interesting to know why.

The company wasn't testing him. They told him one thing to get him to show up and when he got there they told him something completely different. It sounds like the guy that did the hiring couldn't even give Lanse a straight answer when asked about it. If the employer can't even answer a direct question, to back up his original statements, without himnn and hawnn and looking sheepish, you know right away that he was pulling a scam on Lanse and the other students. Lots of unscrupulous employers out there. No wonder this place has trouble hiring and keeping people and has to try and deceive prospective employee's. What's wrong with giving an honest job description?

You're sadly mistaken if you think all every company cares about is money and could care less about the employees. Companies are in business to make money but that's not the same as saying all they care about is money. In my case, the foreman had no say what so ever in who is or isn't laid off. The foreman in fact is the one who told me that it's only because I made a couple dollars more.

You want to know one of the greatest companies to work for? Lincoln Electric! They have such high regard for their employee's that have given bonus's every year since the 40's, even if they lost money and also have a no lay off policy. Look it up on the net if you don't think some companies care about their employee's. Many branch managers and foremen have been fired themselfs for mishandling employee's, by the head office.

Lanse agreed to a welding apprenticeship not a job that had absolutely nothing to do with welding. He was lied to and had a legitimate reason to be pi$$ed and quit. Why can't you understand that?

Loyalty is one thing being lied to is another. If he was hired as a welding apprentice. He should have been doing crap jobs that applied to welding. I did my share of crap jobs. But they were all in line with the line of work I was going into. I have two guys at this time that if they called. I would be there as fast as I could. Because they are honest and treat their people right.

Reminds me of the guy that called me the other day looking for a career. I told him we had some jobs, but if he was looking for a career those were supplied by the employee.

This afternoon I had a college graduate with a degree in chemical engineering ask me about a laborer job we had that started at $10. and hour. Had to tell him it was filled by someone more qualified.

You'll be surprised what your instructors will tell the next company that thinks about hiring you.

Lanse,I predict you will have to go into business for your self.I worked for out fits that were crooked as a snake.I quit.As for the military Im not suited.Try another job.As much as I enjoy welding I could not not spend 40 hours a week welding.I enjoy farming but there no money in it.Never made much money in my own shop but I did it my way.

We may never know who was right but I have 5 bucks that says if he had toughed it out he would have welded.

Yes I know a guy said "you don't" but there are lots of ways to interpret that and the only one you have is the one given to you by a 17 year old who just walked off a job.

Bottom line is that no company makes decent money without good employees. If this company is big enough to be working on a school build/refab they are doing something right.

I dont know where you are located but Im 42 and been out of work for 3 years now and I am almost willing to do most anything to make a pay check!! I undestand that you want to weld and all but you gotta start some place and work up. I had my cdl and worked for a place in town and had a dumb a@@ attack and let my cdl go and then the factory closed I hated unemployment and now its run out and I am about to loose my place I go all over to put apps. in and call all over . got nothing here . Keep your head up and keep kicking it will work out in the end thats what my 96 year old grand mother says

There is no longer any union label on anything made of cloth like a sheet.Those jobs have gone overseas. You may be confused with your clan meeting if you wear a sheet over your head.

Ummm.....Let me get this straight. You are not even 18 yet and you are griping about a job where you are to take apart an old building? When I walked out of HS (a long time ago) I had some basic skills but not enough to be a marketable employee.

The Monday after HS I started working at a company that made wood pallets. The absolute worst job I have ever had. Guys that were former prison inmates worked here, White trash, black trash and a few guys that were there on college break that needed the money. It was like going to a labor camp everyday, stack wood, nail pallets in a high volume setting. Very physically demanding and it sucked real bad.

I guess you are too smart for them and you need to start your own welding business....huh?
You may be unemployed a long time with your (I know everything) attitude.
Maybe in this heat you could start a lemonade stand at the corner.

You sound like a spoiled brat.
You better change your attidude fast as there isn't much out there.
Your teachers LIED to you about your worth. better get humble fast.

Glad I'm retired and got my little pension,it's only gonna get worse, big business is pulling the wool over American workers eyes with scams just like Lance experienced,glad you stood up and quit, if we all did that then maybe something would change, like the way the government bailed out the big shots just so they could lay everyone off and then hire them back later with reduced pay and bennefits. Most of them are so desperate that they don't want to admit what just happened to them. Keep buying their products or better yet move to china.

easy boys, Lanse ain,t too bad of a young man, would be proud if he was My son. got to remember this was his 1st time with a real boss, he just belived what the man told him, remember when we did that? do think he should of stayed round for a week or two and got more info. but I'v done worst things than that, how bout YOU?

Some people here will flame me, others just might agree. It's America, it'syour priviledge, so here goes:
Lanse, it's life, rookie on the job gets the crap jobs. Have to get the demo & prep work done first, then get into production. The answer that you got might depend on the way your asked about doing some welding. That part of the job might start next week, but complaining on the first day doesn't make a good impression on the supervisors. First few days or weeks on a job are for them to find out how you follow instruction & whether or not you finish an assignment.
Don't know the labor laws in your state. In most states welding is considered hazardous work. People under 18 are prohibited from doing it. Will you turn 18 soon?
Forget the military. With your project history, you won't survive Boot Camp, be sent home with "Unadapable Discharge". That will follow you through your whole career.
Your project history is a sign of how you will fare in the job market. What about the 2 or 3 tractors you have sitting around partly done, but none finished? What about the pick-up you were rebuilding into a trailer, or the BBQ grill? Anything completed, or just throw some money at it, and when things don't go right just push it aside & start another project?
At my first full time job I was hired as a delivery driver for a wholesale grocery house. Had some experience working for a feed mill delivering to farmers. Spent the first week pushing a broom. Foreman said sweep the whole warehouse, get familiar with where each item is located. Part of the job is pulling orders from stock, setting up loads for delivery. Worked there 8 years.
Next step up the ladder was for a freight agent. Started by sorting freight for 2-3 hours at 5:30 every morning. Soon had my own route, did minor maintenance on the fleet, could cover any route in our territory, & drove the desk whenever Bossman had to be away for a day or longer.
Moving on, went with the Bus Business. Charter, Tour, & Scheduled line runs. Could cover any route in 3 states on 30 minutes notice. In emergency such as breakdown or driver getting sick on a route, was often called with less notice than that. Eg: during holiday rush, midnight run south from Mpls was overloaded, had to run a second bus to Des Moines, take a layover to get legal hours,then double the next northbound. At Boondocks ( you Iowans know where that is) the lead could handle the load by himself, but westbound to Sioux City was overloaded, so made a left turn, doubled that route. Then a driver had an accident, so made a bee-line to Mason City, to pull his 4 day series to Iowa City, Waterloo, Sioux City, back to Waterloo & Mason City & home. What started as a 24 hour out & back took 6 days to complete.
In short, next time you get hired, follow instructions to the best of your ability, stick to a project to completion, & you will succeed.
Willie

Time passes by quickly. You may be married sooner than you think. It's not a good idea to burn bridges behind you.

(quoted from post at 14:35:08 06/08/11) your a quitter you have no future you will not amount to anything.I don't care how hard you studied you don't have any guts.

Class, real class Davy! You must be one of those Internet bad azzes I read about. :roll:

You usually find out what kids are made of on the first few days of work. One never showed up, one is quitting on the first day and two stayed. Out of those two that stayed one will probably be a foreman in two years and the other one will be the welder! The two that didn't make it will be two more years behind the other ones while they dink around in their parents garage being armchair welding experts.

Lanse,

I got my degree out of OSU and started out at GE. First thing I had to do was inventory the library books and make copies of the table of contents....

I suggested to the manager that they could of hired any "BOY" off the street to do this work instead of an engineer.

His reply... and it still stickes with me... "WE DID!!!"

Your in the world not and have to put in your time before accepted.

That said, if you say what you want and won't take no for an answer you will go farther than waiting for someone to hand it to you.
Jeff

Sounds like they have a very well-defined, and very narrowly-defined, path to being a certified welder up there.

Yes, they will bounce you around and give you the crap jobs when you join the union, but it will be doing things related to your work, where you will be learning things about how things go together and such. I can't think of a better way to learn how something works than to tear it apart.

They aren't the only ones trying to pull the wool over our eyes.
They say we can't raise taxes on anyone making over X amount a year. It will kill the economy. Yet, we did just that after the great depression and things went pretty well for the next 30 years or so. Even taking WW2 out of it.
So we can't tax the people with the money, it will hurt those without, yet jobs that paid 10 an hour, a pretty decent wage, 30 years ago, are paying 7.50-8 now, and what was paying 15 30 years ago, is paying 10-12 now. Unless you're in the union. While the people with the money are still making their share.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back