First Start After Winter Storage

KJB34269

New User
Just got back to Wisconsin after 7 months in Florida. I have been playing with classic cars for years but these old tractors are all new to me. Is there a preferred method for starting my 1940 B after sitting for 7 months? I did disconnect the battery before leaving for Florida and it appears to be fully charged.

Just got back to Wisconsin after 7 months in Florida. I have been playing with classic cars for years but these old tractors are all new to me. Is there a preferred method for starting my 1940 B after sitting for 7 months? I did disconnect the battery before leaving for Florida and it appears to be fully charged.
If you have a crank for it, make sure it turns manually before turning on the fuel and ignition (in neutral) then turn the fuel and ignition and start it with the starter. Some indicate the need for removing the sparkplugs and putting a bit of oil in the cylinders. I never have. Jim

Thanks for the replies. I don’t have a crank and maybe I should pick one up. I’m guessing they are available. I always fill tanks on everything I have that gets stored for the winter with fresh gas and add Seafoam before storage.

Hello KJB, welcome to YT! (If those are your real initials that’s funny) i would add since that is a wet sleeve engine I would suggest you check for coolant in the oil before starting it. Loosen the oil drain plug until it starts dripping. Hopefully it is oil and not coolant. If by chance you didn’t see this before you started it just let it set overnight and do the check.

My 1940 Farmall B sat from November to April. All I did was turn on the gas, put it in neutral, pull the choke, set the throttle and step on the starter. Same thing I've been doing with it for the past 30 years and it has always started right away. 84 years old and starts like a new one.

If you want to check it will turn before starting just use the fan with or without the plugs in though it will turn easier with them out . We have an H we use about every week or more all year round so don't bother with a lot of these formalities. The bigger diesels we just scheck the oil and start them. May regret that some time in the future though never has been a problem so far.

If you got something similar I if you want .put couple of three four shirts of Husqvarna 50 to I fuel 93 octane into the cylinders ,lubes the top end . Turn it over , then turn on the the lighting.

Connect the battery, turn on the gas, pull on choke, crank engine, and boom, my Massey Fergusons and Fergusons fire right up.

Non ethanol fuel is a must in anything that sits for an extended period IMO.

I sincerely appreciate all the replies. This is a very welcoming group. Yes, my initials are KJB. They are also in my email address and so often when I give it to someone, they mistakenly read it back as KGB. I’m a true American, not a Russian spy 😁.

I’m still going through all the things we need to do when we move back and forth between Florida and Wisconsin, and I have not gotten to any of the stored toys yet. But I will update when I do.

There's absolutely no reason to treat your old tractors any differently than your old cars. They're built on the same scientific principles. Obviously cars have some systems that tractors don't, but mechanically the only difference is size and shape.

Let’s us know how you make out. Every tractor has its peculiar ways for tha situation
UPDATE! Finally got to start the B yesterday. I ordered a crank from Steiner because I liked the suggestion to turn the engine with a crank before attempting to start. I turned the gas on and turned the engine a couple times with the ignition off, and in neutral. I had a heck of a time getting the crank out before my starting attempt. Something inside must grab the crank but once I played with it, it came out easy. Not sure what the crank removal secret is.

I connected the battery, put the throttle at mid-point and turned the key to start. I was amazed at how quickly it started. It seemed as quick as my daily driver fuel injected vehicles. It purred like a kitten and brought a big smile to my face. Looking forward to a fun summer with it.

Again, thanks for the help this forum provided me.

UPDATE! Finally got to start the B yesterday. I ordered a crank from Steiner because I liked the suggestion to turn the engine with a crank before attempting to start. I turned the gas on and turned the engine a couple times with the ignition off, and in neutral. I had a heck of a time getting the crank out before my starting attempt. Something inside must grab the crank but once I played with it, it came out easy. Not sure what the crank removal secret is.

I connected the battery, put the throttle at mid-point and turned the key to start. I was amazed at how quickly it started. It seemed as quick as my daily driver fuel injected vehicles. It purred like a kitten and brought a big smile to my face. Looking forward to a fun summer with it.

Again, thanks for the help this forum provided me.
For future reference you could have simply turned the fan by hand to see if the engine was free. If necessary, put some pressure on the fan belt with your other hand to keep it from slipping. These little engines are not hard to turn over if they're free. If you can do it on a small block Chevy you can certainly do it on this little 113ci 4-banger.

All you should have to do to release the crank is turn it backwards about 1/4 turn, and it will kick out of the crankshaft pulley. It should come out easily. If you bought a new crank it might just need to be deburred. If the crank sticks in the slot in the crankshaft when the tractor starts, someone is going to get hurt.

Great points Barnyard. I feel I’m never too old to learn and I appreciate the information.

Now, conversely to starting my B, I also got my 1948 Ferguson TE20 started yesterday. But it sure didn’t pop off like my B did. Those 6 volts had to work hard but once it started it ran fine.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back