flojet carb problems

Steve Foster

New User
This is on an 11hp B&S I/C flathead, in a walker riding mower, bought used.
Carb leaked badly, so bought one off amazon (chinese, of course). Was surprised, as it ran well for about ten hours of use, then behaved as though it wasn't getting fuel. Took the carb apart, cleaned and replaced it, and it ran great that day. Went to start it a few days later, would only run w/ choke, obviously not getting fuel again. Removed carb, went through it again, though I didn't find anything, put it back together and had the same result, i.e. it ran great that day, but would not run w/o choke two days later.

Researched what I could find online (found a good overview w/ diagrams associated w/ this site), and opened the carb back up. It had a plastic float, not adjustable, and was not aligned properly as described in the article. Fortunately, I'd kept the float from the OEM carb, so installed that, and it was properly aligned, just below level when closed to prevent fuel from getting into the atmospheric vent. Also added an o-ring at the shoulder of the emulsifier tube to prevent leakage there.

Reassembled and the mower ran great, mowed for almost an hour. Went to start it two days later and had the same problem again, will only run w/ choke, won't run at full throttle. Looked down the throat of the throttle and a bit, but not a lot, of fuel in the air intake.

I'm inclined to think maybe the o-ring did not seal at the shoulder of the emulsifier tube, but don't see why a small amount of fuel leaking into the air intake would be a problem. Besides, the overview article said leaking there or into the atmospheric vent would cause it to run rich, and my problem is that it isn't getting fuel, won't run at full throttle and at half throttle only w/ choke.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Thanks. I'll look for those, clean them, make sure they're freed up.
However, whatever the problem is, it is apparently resolved by removing it, opening it, cleaning it, and reinstalling. Can't understand why it runs when first reinstalled, but not two days later, three times in a row.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back