Odd running problem

old

So yesterday I put a new cutting edge on my W Speed Patrol. I then started it up to move it around so I could cut the extra part of the cutting edge off and it would run for a bit then start coughing and acting up and popping back from the intake of the carb. I got it where I need it to cut the ends off and let i9t sit. I fired it up today and a short time after I fired it up it started to run bad again. I did get about 1/3 of my driveway graded but when I went to go up the hill it would not pull the hill. Got it back home and checked fuel flow. Not good out of the carb drain but good at the line where it hooked to the carb. I messed it it a bit more and fired it up and let it run for 30 or so minutes and no problem at all. I then let it sit for about an hour and figured I'd fire it up and let it run and see how it did. Well it is sitting and running just fine right this minute. So maybe what ever was clogging the carb up has not worked it way out of the system. But if that has happened it seems a bit odd for it the have happended

You’re the expert, how do you know it will run fine under a load by just testing it running under no load? On it not running right initially maybe the points had some build up that burned off or there was water in the carb. The water would not be to likely if it has a sediment bowl. I would add another pint of ATF to the gas tank! :)

So yesterday I put a new cutting edge on my W Speed Patrol. I then started it up to move it around so I could cut the extra part of the cutting edge off and it would run for a bit then start coughing and acting up and popping back from the intake of the carb. I got it where I need it to cut the ends off and let i9t sit. I fired it up today and a short time after I fired it up it started to run bad again. I did get about 1/3 of my driveway graded but when I went to go up the hill it would not pull the hill. Got it back home and checked fuel flow. Not good out of the carb drain but good at the line where it hooked to the carb. I messed it it a bit more and fired it up and let it run for 30 or so minutes and no problem at all. I then let it sit for about an hour and figured I'd fire it up and let it run and see how it did. Well it is sitting and running just fine right this minute. So maybe what ever was clogging the carb up has not worked it way out of the system. But if that has happened it seems a bit odd for it the have happended
You posted, "Not good out of the carb drain but good at the line where it hooked to the carb."

If someone else had posted that, I bet you would quickly tell them to check for a screen in the carb inlet fitting and to clean the carb. And be sure you run wires through all the holes and blow them with compressed air, don't just spray carb cleaner in the holes. So that looks like your starting point.

May be the vent in the fuel cap is plugged, if the cap has a vent.

You posted, "Not good out of the carb drain but good at the line where it hooked to the carb."

If someone else had posted that, I bet you would quickly tell them to check for a screen in the carb inlet fitting and to clean the carb. And be sure you run wires through all the holes and blow them with compressed air, don't just spray carb cleaner in the holes. So that looks like your starting point.

May be the vent in the fuel cap is plugged, if the cap has a vent.
I did check to see if it had a screen in the elbow but it didn't plus just for the heck of it I blew threw the elbow. What gets me is it ran poorly yesterday and then it ran better then today it ran just fine till we took off with it. I have how ever got a carb kit so if it does it again tomorrow I'll rebuild the carb. This has sat for months since it was last used so might be as simple as a piece of rust in the needle seat that has now rinsed it self out

I did check to see if it had a screen in the elbow but it didn't plus just for the heck of it I blew threw the elbow. What gets me is it ran poorly yesterday and then it ran better then today it ran just fine till we took off with it. I have how ever got a carb kit so if it does it again tomorrow I'll rebuild the carb. This has sat for months since it was last used so might be as simple as a piece of rust in the needle seat that has now rinsed it self out

Whoever was messing with your water tap is keeping busy? :oops:

You’re the expert, how do you know it will run fine under a load by just testing it running under no load? On it not running right initially maybe the points had some build up that burned off or there was water in the carb. The water would not be to likely if it has a sediment bowl. I would add another pint of ATF to the gas tank! :)
I thought the ATF went in the muffler?

Rich ,, points and condensers will throw fits like this

Rich ,, points and condensers will throw fits like this
Yes but the spark is very good but the flow from the carb drain is less then the 1 pint in under 2 minutes or was when I checked it but it has since seemed to start to run better out of the clear blue

I thought the ATF went in the muffler?
Yes if the engine is locked up from sitting a long time but in this case NO but it might be added to the gas to free up sticking valves but that isn't likely to be the problem on this

I had an outboard motor once that gave fits like that. Found what looked like a mouse turd in the float bowl. Ran hour’s perfect then not worth beans then took off again. Was a 3 cylinder with 3 carbs. Once I took the turd out ran fine till sold it a year later.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back