Follow up on Lawn mower Deal

JD Seller

Well LAA and RRLund pretty much it the nail on the head, dealer apathy not malfeasance. I called the fellow I dealt with at the store and just got him talking. Basically sounding interested in any other stuff he might want to whole sale an just how and why they where doing things in general. Basically the dealership owner does not like lawn and garden sales/repairs. I have heard him say things like he would drop lawn and garden if JD would let him. So since he bought this dealership 7-8 years ago they have went from selling around 100 new mowers to maybe 50-60 now. Also the long time small equipment repair fellow retired earlier this year. The other mechanics feel that L&G is beneath them to work on. The service manager feels much the same so he always estimates L&G repairs high to try to avoid doing the repairs. They charge $95 per hour for large equipment and $75 for small equipment. So the shop manager feels his bottom line is getting hit by repairing L&G stuff.

I think that there are several factors involved at the store:

1) The owner's attitude is trickling down to the employees there, at least the sales and service guys.

2) The "HOT" AG Sales market has encouraged this attitude as well.

3) The store has had three managers in the last 7-8 years. So just about when a "new" guy would really be able to see what is going on he leaves for whatever reason. So you have a lot of the inmates running the asylum syndrome going on here as well.

So basically this store does not really want L&G business unless it is pretty painless to do. Like sell new L&G equipment for about list price, while not really caring if you sell it or not. So they ramped up the estimate to keep from having to do a repair and sold a "new" mower. Makes their life easier.

Now for the lady in question. First off time flies. It has been four years since her husband died. It really does not feel that long. She also sold the land off the farm last fall to the fellow that has been farming it. So since she was living in the same place and the same fellow was cropping the farm I thought she still owned it. I talked to my youngest brother. He actually is just a few years older than the widow and her husband. He also lives closer 5 miles verse my 20. My brother says she was able to sell the machinery over time and got pretty good money with the up market we have had. She also did well on the land. So he was pretty sure she is in good shape now not like a few years ago.

So here is what I am going to do. I feel talking to her would not be in her best interests. I do not know for sure why she traded the mower. I do know she was not given much for it but the dealer did not sell it for much either. So the dealer really did not do anything wrong other than not really making a market based deal. If she was taken advantage of what good would it do her to have ME point that out to her??? It would kind of be like rubbing salt into a wound. For all I know she may have been just tired of the old mower and with the sale of the farm finally had the money to splurge on a new mower.

I mowed all afternoon with the mower on my steep hilly yard. The mower is in fine shape. It is a JD 345. They are pretty bullet proof. Good motors and transmissions. In fact I never have heard of one that went bad from anything other than abuse.

As for my feeling on this?? I really just don't know what is the totally right thing to do. Stirring up things for the widow is pretty much out of the question. The dealer is not really guilty of anything other than poor business practices. So I think I will just keep track of what I actually make on this deal. Then I will watch and see if I can donate it to things she or her kids are involved in. My brother's kids are in the same grades as two of hers. So he will kind of let me know what they are involved in.

This is about all I think I can do. The widow would not know me very well at all. I dealt with her husband an Father-in-law and just a few times with them. They where mainly RED. So I really would not be a good person for her to "trust" about this type of thing. A major point for me was that I really thought that a dealership/salesman/mechanic took advantage of a POOR widow. It now appears that none of that was the case or at least not blatantly so. So contrary to what I usually like, a passive approach to this just feels "better" than direct action. Especially since there is no direct action that would seem to benefit her right now.

So I guess I was just an old man jumping to a conclusion without all the facts. Well it does make for some interesting posts/discussions. LOL I will have to look for another windmill to charge!!! LOL

You have just taught two or three lessons of clean living in just two posts. You have proven what a class individual you really are. A great role model for anyone lucky enough to know you personally. Hope your wife is doing better,havn't heard any updates lately. Under different circumstances, the young lady would be lucky to have you in her corner.

I think you did well. Life is or has so much s$^^*%^*^^%*&%&* in it and let us just say poo. You are not the only one who's mom raised then right. I have seen chainsaws with bar oil in the gas tank and generators with snot looking stuff in the carb caused by ethanol. If you were a Boy Scout you did your good dead! YOU can sleep at night. Jeffcat

Although I did not add a reply to your post yesterday, it was very interesting to read all the comments. Sometimes, it's real hard to make a decision to do the "right" thing. I know just where you're coming from, it seems a lot of us have empathy for widows and orphans. As time progresses, I'm sure you will deal with this to your satisfaction. It's nice having someone closer to keep an eye on the situation and keep you advised.

all good discussion,.. jumping to conclusion is easier than finding facts ,, . it was a nice exercise

Kudos to you for handling this issue; I appreciate your honesty, openness and judgment.

I too am sometimes tempted to post such an issue on this forum because I know there is a superb wealth of knowledge and life lessons here.
One aspect that makes me careful and hesitant however, is that this forum, like nearly all others, is a public place and I never know who may be reading it. In your case it might be this lady (or someone who knows her and you and starts talking about it) and you still may find yourself in a fix you wouldn't want to be found in.
My 2c.
Hendrik, appreciative user of Yesterday's Tractors, from The Netherlands

I read the other post too but did not reply.
One thing that wasn't brought up in either of your posts - and it may not be a popular comment, is the business about taking advantage of the woman.
After nearly 50 years of women clamoring for equal rights and equal opportunity they still haven't availed themselves of the right to fix even the simplest things. You said it was an easy fix - a belt. Why didn't she do it herself if all things are equal?
Now don't get me wrong. I'm NOT advocating ripping people off. But if it was some guy who traded that mower in because of such a simple problem we would all kinda think of him as dumb or lazy and there would be little second guessing the dealer or hand wringing over this like there is now.
If you demand equality long enough and insist you are capable of making decisions for yourself you should be able to do so. But don't expect me to be terribly sympathetic or chivalrous if you get snookered because of whoever you are and wouldn't, couldn't, haven't learned how to change a simple belt.

Ultradog MN: Your kind of right but I will never be able to treat a woman the same as a man period. A dog and cat are different an a man and woman are different too. I do not agree with paying a woman differently for the same work but I also know a woman in her child bearing years will have more absenteeism and time off than a man would. Can you see a man asking for nine months of work off??? His career would supper as well. So much of what the modern left is screaming about being sexism is jut plain hard facts.

I didn't think about donating to things the widow or her kids are involved in before. After reading everything from the dealership side of it now I think that is probably the best way to do it. Like you said she doesn't know you that well so she would probably be a little unsure about anything if you approached her about it. By donating she may not know the reason you are but you will have the satifaction knowing that you did help her after someone else wouldn't. If that makes any since. Glad there are still good caring people left in the world we live in.

Keep whatever you make from it - it's windfall. (Or, if you're religious you could say God meant you to have it.) You've done good. Buy your wife something with it, or your brother's kids, or take your wife out for dinner. It all sounds fair and square to me.

Interesting story. I read both posts. Thanks JD for following up.
Just goes to show, as mentioned, that there's usually more to a story than what it first seems, and that it's dangerous to jump to conclusions without having all the facts.
JD, you seem like a stand up guy. Kudus to you however you decide to handle this.

Well thought out and executed. Most people, I suspect would not have given the situation a second thought.

That "equal rights" thing is so misguided. Nature makes male and female different in order to compliment each other not to compete.

I think that there are several factors involved at the store:

1) The owner's attitude is trickling down to the employees there, at least the sales and service guys.

2) The "HOT" AG Sales market has encouraged this attitude as well.

3) The store has had three managers in the last 7-8 years. So just about when a "new" guy would really be able to see what is going on he leaves for whatever reason. So you have a lot of the inmates running the asylum syndrome going on here as well.

--------------------------------------------------
They think they are pretty smart with all that, wait until the ag economy slows even more. Having some small equipment repairs to fill the time the crickets are chirping will seem pretty welcoming in the next year or so - if they haven't successfully chased off all the customers.

I agree,and I'll add that even if it had happened to the kind of man who won't even check his own oil,being dishonest with a customer is just plain wrong.

All the information changes things in hindsight being a farm girl I would hope she could of saw the broken belt or had neighbor or friend check it out before replacing .the whole mower. It gets complicated guess best to move on

Also, brings to mind a guy I used to work with. I didn't really know him very well but his wife had been sick (cancer maybe) for a while when she passed away. I heard about it at work and next time I saw him I just said something to the effect of "Sorry to hear about your wife" (what else do you say?). I got a really miserable response from him "So am I". It was with a real nasty tone so I just 'moved on'. As soon as he got the life insurance check he bought himself a brand new Harley, a boat and a new pickup truck. Almost like he didn't care she was gone - like he was glad she was gone. Personally, unless I knew this widow really well I wouldn't be going out of my way for her. I still think you've done far more than needed just taking the time to think about it this much.

ps. On another note this classic/modern view seems to have gotten stranger lately. I have mostly used modern view since I found the forum but now it seems I have to keep jumping back and forth to keep track of all the posts in a thread.

LOL I am glad I didn't have an opinion. I trusted you and I was not wrong. You came threw with good sense just like I thought you would. Thanks Jack

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back